Thousands vote in Southern Sudan as violence flares in disputed region
A woman shows her inked finger after voting Monday in a landmark independence referendum in Sudan.
January 10th, 2011

Thousands vote in Southern Sudan as violence flares in disputed region

Thousands more people streamed to polling places in a historic referendum on independence for Southern Sudan on Monday even as violence flared in a disputed region between north and south.

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, meanwhile, said Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir told him that Southern Sudan should not have to shoulder Sudan's debt should it secede from the county. The question of how to split Sudan's debt is one of several issues that would have to be resolved if the south votes for independence, as is widely expected.

"I spoke with President al-Bashir. He said the entire debt should be assigned to north Sudan and not to the southern part," Carter told CNN Monday morning. "So, in a way, Southern Sudan is starting with a clean sheet on debt. They'll have to make some arrangement for other sources of income, of course."

The south would become independent in July if voters choose independence and no other obstacles emerge. Voting began on Sunday and will end Saturday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Sudan
  1. lol

You would think by now a country would have pencils and paper.

January 10, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

Where were these Newsflashes back when what Sudan's UN rep called "the most heinous human rights violations in modern history"? As thousands of Sudanese villiagers were being slaughtered for the color of their skin, over a million driven from their homes, even their cattle were being gunned-down, Newsflashes here struck like bolts of lightening every single day reporting Saddam might have some WMDs leftover. Not even our "preachers" and civil-rights "leaders" said a word. But when it came time to recruit troops for the "war on terror" they sang like birds. Like Vultures actually. And who would finally help these victims of ethnic cleanseing? ONLY the poorest nation on earth, Chad. Shame on you who stir up racism here at home and ignore it abroad.

January 10, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. oh well

Who cares

January 10, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Evidently nobody, save one. (so far)

January 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

@Philip (alias phil) Meet my little friend!!!!. Some of you don't have the guts to be whayt you wabnt to be. Make room for the bad guy!

January 10, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jack

@Philip, There are people who cares about Sudan. Maybe not by a big and wealthy country. Cambodia did send a group of de-mining teams to Southern Sudan. Now Cambodia sent a another team to Southern Lebanon. Only country that suffered from the civil war and poverty would understand one another. There are people who cares about them. Only the ignorants are NOT.

January 10, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Jack, ok...but I didn't just mention Chad was the only country who took the Sudanese refugees in. I also mentioned the failure of our media to show the genocide, choosing to show that Saddam might have WMDs and might do what was already being done in the Sudan. And the failure of our religious and civil-right's leaders (many of whom consider themselves to be both preachers and civil-rights leaders, and of African heritage) failing to answer Sudan's call for help. Choosing to get on the "war on terror" bandwagon instead. Animal right's activists made more noise about these atrocities than the media or self-proclaimed Christian civil rights leaders did. It was and remains the worst human rights violation in modern history, with many just now finding out about it here. That it went by virtually without notice is scary.

January 10, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Frank

People of the United States of America and Southern Sudan.
    Have no fear,President Carter will coordinate with President Obama and will secure your.countries new financial debt with U.S.Financial Aid and your Security with U.S. Military Peace Keepers.Financial Aid will be diverted from Israel for this purpose to fulfill President Obama's promise to the United Nations.

January 10, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

@Philip: Guess you are not a "Scarface" fan. Classic movie from 1983. Al Pacino, Michele Phiffer and the others were great. "Meet my little friend!"

January 10, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. 2100

Mmm ,mm, chili dogs are good .

January 10, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Yooh-ray for Southern Sudan! @2100, you perp, no commas allowed between the m's. Wouldn't it be nice if their independence day fall on the 4th of July?

January 10, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kim

Dam another poor country with a self hatred goverment when will it end?

January 10, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

@Cesar...I actually saw that movie. And I remember the line as "saiy hello dju my leetle frin". Yep, I'm sure that's what Pacino said. I'm still trying to remember where I was and who was with me at this movie. I usually remember stuff like that.

January 10, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LOW LYF

MR PEANUT WILL MAKE IT COOL AGAIN

January 11, 2011 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. Eduardo

I've got more deeply in contact with Darfur situation by reading the book THE TRANSLATOR from Daoud Hari. As a translator from http://www.etranslate.com.br I was attracted by the tile of this book and I can say that Hari's experience as a translator for intl press were amazing. I really desire the best to the region, it's people, it's history and so on. PEACE and JUSTICE!
    Rgds. Eduardo

January 11, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. Caitlin

Philip, about your comment yesterday, a lot of people do care. I agree with Jack, it may not be a big wealthy country, but its the people that matter. I am in 6th grade and I can realize that, so why can't other people. (Jack, you know what I mean, right?)

January 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |