Accused shooter's poems evoke his daily routine, scenes from Mauritius
Jared Lee Loughner is accused in a deadly shooting at a constituents meeting in Tucson, Arizona, held by U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.
January 11th, 2011

Accused shooter's poems evoke his daily routine, scenes from Mauritius

Jared Lee Loughner, the man accused of shooting 20 people Saturday at an Arizona political event, attended a poetry class last year at Pima County Community College, a man in the class said.

Student Don Coorough provided CNN's Special Investigations Unit with copies of two poems purportedly written by Loughner for the spring semester class. They have been transcribed below with the same spelling and line breaks as the original copies.

Meat Head

Awaking on the first day of school
Pain of a morning hang over
Attending a weight lifting class for college credit
Attempting to exercise since freshman year of high school
Crawling out of bed and walking to the shower
Warm water hitting my back
Eureka

Thoughts of being promiscuous with a female again
Putting on a old medium red tee shirt, light brown cameo shorts, and black Adidas
For breakfast a glass of water, cold pepperoni pizza, and two Advil
Bringing my Nano Ipod with heavy metal music
Taking the local bus on a overcast morning
Waiting with crack heads after their nightly binge
Bus is cheap, two dollars for a ride anywhere in the city
Sitting in back against a hard plastic seat
Staring at stop lights, brand new cars, and graffiti
Coming to a slow halt in front of the school
Entering the gym as the glowing florescent lights are humming
Next to the treadmills, putting a green foam mat on the ground
Stretching for fifteen minutes, loosening the muscles in my legs, back and arms
Cleaning the mat with anti-bacterial spray and a paper towel
Jogging for ten minutes, my heart beating, beating, beating
Pain in my right side of the last minute of twenty
Looking around, the cute women are catching my eye
Probably waiting for their hot boyfriends wandering in the locker room
All the men are in shape with their new white tank shirts, basketball short, and Nike shoes
Confusing look on my face of no idea what to do
Deciding to copy other men's routines of
Arm Curls, Leg presses, Rows, Squats, Military something's, and Isolated whatever's
65 minutes
Leaving the gym thinking
Waiting for the bus with alcoholics that are going to the bars early
Coming home for another shower
While grabbing the white towel, the eureka moment is lingering
Quick nap and lunch is on my mind
Setting the alarm one hour before getting ready for my next class
Getting into bed

Falling asleep

Dead as a dodo

On the island of Mauritius a heavy storm is leaving.
In the fields of the ancient wild forest a wild field of mushrooms is growing.
Snails and grasshoppers are ready for the warmth.
The old grass growing with lizards are jolting for crickets while snakes looking for lonely mice.
Falcons are flying for pray.
Shallow light Blue Ocean shimmering at each wave as the black clouds are rolling.
Waves are lapping.
Fisherman on the reefs are casting their poles.
In warm water a pack of clown fish are floating.
Tiger sharks are swimming free.
Steel drums beating in the distance.
The full moon slowly setting for the sun is rising.
At the local cemetery there is weeping.
The dodo is finally dieing.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Gabrielle Giffords
  1. Shannon

The poems are lucid and very different than the Internet entries we have read so far. Maybe there's a time gap and he started becoming ill, but it makes me wonder if his Internet postings are faked "crazy." His friends say he was very smart. Also, the fact that he notices the nice clothes and new cars tells me he's noticing economic differences.

January 12, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedro

I also was surprised because his internet ranting was so bizarre. Maybe he stopped taking meds? I am with you that I think he probably exaggerated a weird persona on the internet.

January 12, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Harry Ball

Maybe I just don't get poems but that is some of the dumbest crap I've ever read. But I've never read a poem that I liked either.

January 12, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Noooooooooooooo! *Aziz Ansari voice*

so you can write watever you see down and call it a poem now? lol wat gives? #blamepalin

January 12, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay

I was thinking the same thing. All these poems are about is his day to day life. I could do this just as easy, just write stuff down you see going on around you and you get to call it a poem? These are the worst poems I've ever read and hardly deserve to be on a news page.

January 12, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Minnie

I was saying the samething. It makes no sense to me but then again, I'm not crazy or deranged so I can not relate...

January 12, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Quincy

This does not negate the fact that he was coerced by the poision of the political rhetoric of the situation. Anybody can write like this and people write worse things than this

January 12, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mac

I don't see anything off about these poems/stream-of-consciousness writings. There is nothing odd to me about the way in which (at this time) he was viewing the world.

January 12, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Speedro

I agree. I get annoyed when police and media pick these kinds of things apart and make baseless and exaggerated conclusions from them.

January 12, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. Fed Up 2

Sell a lot of ads posting this pointless tripe?

January 12, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. artbabe

kind of reminds me of:

or

Loughner was a very sick kid who may have been reading and mis-interpreting these "counter" culture philosophies.

Who knows.

January 12, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joe

His face is the only form of abstract "art" I've seen so far. Is it just me or is he the spitting image of "The Joker" from Batman? And he doesn't even have on make-up in the photos.

January 12, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Bizz

OMG! You're so right! The Joker! He looks exactly like him! LOL. I wondered why he looked familiar. He looks like a crazed individual, for certain.

January 12, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. Darlene Y.

What has happened to our beautiful country?Las Vegas,Nevada 1-11-11 God Bless all the families and victims...

January 12, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Right...

We should all slam our heads into a wall for giving this guy any attention (me included). No picture should be displayed, nothing! Just write the facts of the incident and if there really was a "reason" or "cause" give me those facts as well. Let this sick little man fade from our existence and die!

January 12, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. publius enigma

A young person writing poems that make no sense is not evidence of insanity. Its fairly common. That goes for his youtube as well.

January 12, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. irishcutter21

This has nothing to do with why or why not he did what he did. Why can't we just chaulk it up to the fact that he was a nut. Fry him and be done with it. Who cares why he did it, we should be concerned with the fact that he did it in the first place. People are so concerned and waste time trying to find out why someone does something this crazy. It won't stop the next one from doing the same thing. These things are so unpredictable. Sad for the victims and families. I say kill the moron and lets move on.

January 12, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • morningsun

no kidding, why waste all this time over analyzing what made him do it, fact is – he DID it! Why the need for a trial – everyone there SAW him do it? Should be and automatic death sentence. the end.

January 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Casey

Another one of those that thinks you can just insert a line break into an emo blog post and call it poetry, apparently!

January 12, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. Gary Rogers

The poems appear, at first glance, very innocuous. As we know now – a psychotic mind was on the the brink of taking control of the joystick. It is incredible that he & his very angry father were not called out by others, to be isolated & analyzed.

January 12, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. Piled Higher and Deeper

I was going to rant about how irritating it was that CNN was giving this kid exposure, but I read the article so I am guilty of encouraging CNN at this. Now I am stuck with the impression that the kid had a keen sense of visual imagery, if the poems are his. Surprised to find him so close to sanity and coherence.

January 12, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |