Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signs bill limiting funeral protests
A shrine to the victims of a shooting rampage Saturday in Tucson, Arizona, grows larger Tuesday.
January 11th, 2011

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signs bill limiting funeral protests

[Updated at 9:15 p.m. ET] Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed emergency legislation Tuesday night setting limitations on protests at funerals. The bill is aimed at the Westboro Baptist Church, which plans to picket the funerals of those who died in Saturday's shootings.

[Posted at 5:50 p.m. ET] The Arizona Legislature unanimously has passed a bill meant to stop church from protesting at funerals of Tucson shooting victims.

The vote was 29-0 in the state Senate and 58-0 in the state House. A spokesman for Gov. Jan Brewer earlier told CNN that she was prepared to sign the bill.

Read more about the legislation
Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Gabrielle Giffords • Politics
  1. jan

Now come on KANSAS have the guts to do the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I agree. I've already written the new Governor Brownback. I'm sure that the KS legislature could do something similar in terms of passing laws restricting their protests at funerals, but doing anything to censure or otherwise restrict their rights under the law is far more difficult.

I'd love it if there could be a groundswell of citizens who would gather every day and protest at their compound.

I know that whenever I am driving by them when they are protesting (and they protest throughout the week), I express my rights by displaying a thumbs down, and driving by very slowly honking my horn.

January 11, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MarkB

There should be protests with signs of Sarah Palin's face in the crosshairs. Unfortunately that's the only language the right wing understands.

January 11, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robmel6421

Kudos to the state of AZ for passing that legislative law to ban protests at funerals. WBC should have their non-profit status revoked by the IRS, see how easy it will be to get that back. The families should have the right to bury their loved ones in a peaceful environment, not one filled with hate for no apparent reason, except that they were innocent bystanders in a shooting spree. They will be there, the law does not ban them from the memorial service that scheduled for Thursday. It is not beneath them.

January 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Reason

Anyone who believes in jesus is a wacko.

January 11, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nik

To "Tired of Business as Usual"...only 2 choices huh? No argument in the matter? Wow...what about the billions of Buddhists in the world?! Since you seem to know it all, tell me...where do we go?

January 11, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • zenichi-maro

clearly we go to hell, Nik. it's right there in Tired's post, and s/he CLEARLY knows the mind of god without any question. Come on, man. The Christians all know the truth, since it's in their 2,000 year old book that was written by multiple people across decades and decades of time. How can you not get that?!?

i'm a buddhist and am very, very, very tired of the egotistical claims of the average Christian. i try to find compassion for them and their teachings, but it's difficult.

be peace,
      ZNM

January 11, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. runs with acid

triceratops would never condone the killing of a congressman/woman
    and believe it or not, t-rex was a pacifist at heart
    (just got a bad rap)

January 11, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ed

They are a hate group using religion to hide behind. They need to have there tax exempt status pulled. Head man Phelps is a very evil man who beats his wife and his kids growing up. He is struggling with being gay himself.

January 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Leah

AWESOME!! All states should do this! Westboro Church is spewing hate and its sickening when ppl claim to do this stuff in God's name! Haven't they read that they will judged with the same harshness with which they judge others?

January 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mya

So nice to see legislation rushed right through when the victims are public figures. Never mind the last 12 years of them harassing civilian families burying their loved ones.

I realize this is just an AZ law and not a nationwide one, but interesting how legislation can be passed through the system, signed and sealed so quickly. I don't think there would have been a rush to sign it into law today if it was just another Matthew Sheppard, or any of the multiple soldiers who's families have been harassed by this group. Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmm...........

January 11, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alf

Glad to hear tha AZ is taking steps to stop such freak (church) from protesting funerals. It's about time & I hope the rest of the states take the same steps. BUT you know that the supreme court will dictate that this AZ law violate "free speach".

January 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Barry from Wisconsin

Like many other things, Arizona "politicians" do not get it. The symbiolc crap about nbarring demonstrations would seriously violate free speech.

I abhor the ridiculous morons who would demean a little girl's funeral.

Grow up, Arizona and join the country. Most of us sympathize with your illegal problem. However, california, New Mexico, and Texas have decided to let the Federal government address the problem.

January 11, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Randy Johnson

Good for you Arizona!!!!!!! Finally I have something good to say. This is probably the most important and great thing you have done!!! I have disagreed on gun control but now you take a stand on this ridiculous church that no other state has the guts to do. I give credit when its due and you should be proud. Nobody has the right to desicrate a funeral of a loved one no matter what.

January 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kite005

I'll try yet again. My other posts didn't show up for some unknown reason. But I found something else that might interest people. Start with the usual internet prefix and copy this into it. http://natephelps.com/10801.html

January 11, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MM

Who the hell are these demonic possessed people protesting at people's funerals. What devil worshiping church do they belong to? I hope it's not tax free.

January 11, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mya

It IS tax free. They are a recognized church.

I know. I know. I can't believe it either.

January 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Indyman

If Jesus were here today he would NOT be a Christian or have anything to do with Christianity. He would be appalled. Like Martin Luther King would be if he heard the N word all over hip hop music. Only Jesus would be even more p1ssed!

January 11, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |