Navajo Nation to swear in new leaders
January 11th, 2011

Navajo Nation to swear in new leaders

Ben Shelly will take the oath of office Tuesday in Window Rock, Arizona, to become president of the Navajo Nation.

Shelly and Vice President-elect Rex Lee Jim have been shadowed by criminal charges stemming from an investigation into alleged misuse of discretionary funds.

The two announced Monday that they had reached an agreement with prosecutors to repay about $11,000 in exchange for dropping the charges, the Daily Times of Farmington, New Mexico, reported. A judge has to sign off on the agreement.

The nation's new 24-member council also will be sworn in Tuesday. The council formerly consisted of 88 members.

Organizers are expecting as many as 5,000 people to attend the swearing-in festivities, all of which will be held outdoors on a day the high is expected to be 35 degrees, the Daily Times reported.

Shelly takes over for Joe Shirley Jr., who was Navajo president for eight years. Shelly was vice president the last four years.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Crime • Native Americans • Politics • U.S.
  1. HernandezUSA

As I happy for the original indigenousness of the Americas gaining respect and power in the United States,but I would prefer we DIDN'T have another nation living inside our nation.

it would better for all, if there is one nation under the American Flag and original indigenousness of the Americas just say themselves as Americans and reservation were dissolved.

January 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • DasLeezard

Let's not and say we didn't. I like being Native. I like going back to The Rez. I like that my relatives were residents of this soil first, and never truly gave up the fight for soverignity.

Many blessings to the Dine, and I hope for a prosperous future for you all, from a proud Lakota Iyeska. Yes, Iyeska.

Mitakuae Oyasin.

January 12, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • henryJay

Of course you would say that. You are from the descendants of Iberia.
      Your ancestors were the original perpetrators to have killed millions of indigenous here in the Americas, starting with the Taino's. Even today the typically Spanish Mexicans treat the indigenous horribly, leaving them little choice but to immigrate to the US to make a living. Hispanics are not minorities--nor are they oppressed -they ARE the primary oppressors and have been since Columbus.

January 12, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. Matt

Leave it to our People, the Navajo, to elect a crook.

January 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Thomas

This guy wrote an article saying that the Milky Way is 300,000 miles in length... does the word GALAXY suggest it might be bigger? Go back to 8th Grade!

January 11, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

3kk light years maybe..

January 11, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jaybee

@ Matt you must be a crook yourself for not reading the Navajo Nation code, i only see charges that stem from mismanaged policies with gaping holes.

January 11, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. GuerillaGorilla

And this is news why? Misapropriated funds? Pah... look at the billions the US govt spends on worthless programs. The $800 billion bank bailout? Straigh to the pockets of the CEOs and shareholders, and not a penny spent to fix the actual problems of the banks overspending, making risky loans with the expectation that the fee's would be paid (if they can't pay the principal, what makes you think they will pay the fees?!?), poor financial planning, and the offer of credit cards to those who didn't make enough in the first place. $11,000... I mean really? This is national news? He probably makes that amount in a month or two.

January 11, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. domeunit

I'm disappointed in the name selection...Where's "Furious Cloud" or "Runs With Scissors"? Ben Shelly? that's a white dude from Wisconsin

January 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. clint

chief dirty butt from the no wipe tribe

January 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. susan

as a native american, who does belong to a tribe. it's good to read news of our different tribes, and nations . as he is given this new chance , i just hope there are no more misapporiated funds . lead with pride and what you can do for the children of our future ...

January 11, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. 2100

I bet their jet fighters SUCK too !!!...

January 11, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. wildinjun

The belogana's owed a lot to the native's, even if it's another world nor if it ends. They will never repay it all. Yup can't afford it.

January 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ChiefDancesWithSheep

I'd like to see the US government reinstate Gen.William Sherman's 40 acres and a mule reconstruction campaign for the direct descendants of slavery. I suspect this nation would be far better off if the freed slaves were given their own land to till. I know no ethnicity has a perfect past, but maybe we can start now to repair the damage done. The children shall pay for the sins of the fathers.

January 12, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  12. I ate my foot!!!

as I'm not a native american,who cares!

January 12, 2011 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. henryJay

I think that if we can arm the Israelis with nukes–we can arm the collective tribal nations with them as well....After all the genocide perpetrated against the indigenous of the Americas dwarfs the Holocaust.

January 12, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sees All Evil

@Domeunit and Clint ROFL! you two just made my day. I will be chuckling about this for some time LMAO! As a half Native American i too was wondering about the regular guy names.

January 12, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sees All Evil

The reperations are being paid with the money of the crackheads they serve. i dont think money is a problem they wear designer cloths and lease escolades and thats in Saginaw Michigan. Yet the chip remains firmly on the shoulder of African American brothers who never knew slavery and barely know any facts because they dropped out at grade 9 to sell dope. I have African American family and friends i and my ancesters fought against slavery but to many being white is a crime. i have no problems with reperations but its never enough and the hate train keeps rolling on down the line

January 12, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |