Barefoot man steals snow plow, kills cop
January 12th, 2011

Barefoot man steals snow plow, kills cop

A man took a stolen snow plow on two-hour rampage through the streets of Toronto, Canada, Wednesday morning, killing a police officer and wrecking cars and a car dealership.

Police said the suspect stole the privately owned plow in downtown Toronto about 5:30 a.m., according to a report from CTV news.

Police Sgt. Ryan Russell, 35, was struck by the plow and pinned against his cruiser when he tried to stop the truck about a half-hour later, according to news reports. He died in a hospital emergency room.

The suspect hit numerous vehicles as he continued through the city’s streets for another half-hour or more, and rammed the plow into a Ferrari dealership, according to news reports.

Just after 7 a.m. the plow came to a stop after hitting a garbage truck, according to news reports. Officers approached the plow and opened fire, gravely wounding the suspect. He was in critical condition at a hospital, CTV reported.

According to a report in the Toronto Star, the plow company employees were working outside their vehicle when the suspect – a “guy with no shoes” – jumped in and sped off.

“He was barefoot and just came running and jumped in,” plow company President Peter Tolias told the Star. Officials have not released the suspect’s identity and have not speculated on a motive.

The fallen officer was an 11-year veteran of the Toronto force.

"This is the worst of days for the Toronto Police Service," Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair was quoted as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: Canada
  1. Marc

Take this guy out back and just shoot him in the head. He deserves nothing better.

January 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • magnus

agreed.

January 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flatsguide

Absolutely!!!

January 13, 2011 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. EZ

Andre – you're right – it was a generalization. Not all Americans are bad and in fact most I've met are fantastic folk – it just irks me when I see such heartless and ignorant comments. P.S. Shame on you for saying that I blame 9/11 on Americans – I also lost several friends in this sad tragedy and would never entertain such a dranged conspiracy theory. All the best for 2011

January 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Uplinkjim

My bets are It's Zanta... google Zanta Toronto, Canada.................http://www.travelistic.com/video/show/1838/Toronto%27s-Character:-Zanta

January 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeddak

My condolences Canadians. At times I'm embarrassed to be an American. Please ignore the negative remarks by children.

January 12, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • settino

Your a good man Jeddak

January 12, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jay

My condolences to the family, and to the fellow officers. I apologize for the stupidity and ignorance that a few citizens of the USA have posted here. I don't refer to them as my fellow citizens because I don't want to associate myself with those morons.

To the inbred posters from the USA...anyone that lives in North, Central or South America is an "American".
    Canada has been one of our greatest allies. Show the Canadian people the respect
    they deserve.

January 12, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelley

Thank-you, Jay. As a Canadian with American relatives, I believe that most Americans and most Canadians are really good, honourable people and the occasional moron on either side of the border shouldn't reflect on everyone else. We have more similarities than differences. Let's appreciate what we share and take care of it ; there's no need for negative and juvenile rhetoric. This is a story about a brave police officer, a husband and father, who was killed on the job today. G-d bless him and all the other police and servicemen and women who put their lives on the line for us, and G-d bless Canada and the U.S.A.

January 12, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Retired LE

Well said. Thank you.

January 12, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Leave it to the intertnet folk

Couldn't expect much less from most of you.

Turn this tragedy into and Us vs. Them playground argument. So typical.

I wish we had a little more on the story though. I'd like to know why the officer was out of his vehicle trying to stop the plow.

Anyway, what a tragedy. Bash cops all you want, the fact is, the majority are good men and women trying to help. RIP to the officer and my condolences to this man's family.

January 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. standingwave

My apologies for the ignorant comments coming from my countrymen.Personally,I don't think we could ask for a better neighbor.My sympathies to the officer's friends and family.

January 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. IAmCanadian

The only comments that should be published on here are condolences. I have found that more and more websites are allowing people to write cruel and sick comments.

RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell ... my thoughts are with your family ...

January 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dave

My heart goes out to the officer who lost his young life.
    Also to the family and friends. Your in my prayers!
    I will also say a prayer for all the folks who continue to view this event as funny or a time to polk fun
    At people you don't even know. Pretty sad when you think about it!
    Dj

January 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ThAtCanadianguy

Every single American on here should be dissapointed..Ridiculous comments should not be tolerated in these posts.. Im sorry for the nice,polite american that came here to show their respects. Your low life,tough dog,dumb witted fellow countrymen has just brought my respect down for all of yous. Then joking about the Canadian army? are you kidding me!? with all your spare time you should google Canadian army and read the history.. We do so much intense combat work your too low on the society scale to even know about. RIP fellow Canadian, Keep on it keepin it real out there Soldiers!

January 12, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sheppard

@settino... You do realize that with that post you come off as pretty....... well, arrogant yourself there, sport. Pot, meet kettle. Your ignorance goes without saying.

January 12, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Fetechef

The plow hit the front corner of the slain officers cruiser. You can see the damage in the photo. I guess the cop was firing from that position when the perp crushed him. Though it's kinda hard to shoot through a solid steel plow blade.

January 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sheppard

Good grief, people! How did this turn into a them against us rant? The article was about a young man losing his line in the line of duty – and suddenly this forum is all about arrogant Canadians & ignorant Americans. Shame on everyone of you. I hope your mothers take away your computer privileges & send all of you to bed without any supper for the rest of the week.

January 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. soy sauce

Some of the people posting on here have a serious inferiority complex. It makes them feel better to knock Canada when deep down, at the end of the day, they know that Canada is superior to the USA in almost every way except in terms of population size. Face it americans, your dollar is worth absolutely nothing compared to the canadian dollar...our country is more financially powerful than yours because our democracy actually WORKS, while you guys keep electing incompetent morons to office, because your society loves idiocy. That's why your country is failing, why your doillar is failing, and why your homes are now worth diddly squat. I'm going to enjoy buying your mcmansions from up north as a vacation home for a fraction of what they were once worth...LOL

January 12, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Greg

Soy Sauce: Check your facts before posting. Canada is a wonderful country and a great trading partner but financially it is not in the same league at all with the US.

January 13, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fetechef

"Toronto, Canada. Where is that? I've been to every state in the union and I never heard of that place. What state is Canada in?"

"War. God's way of teaching Americans geography"

January 12, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |