Palin says efforts to lay blame 'reprehensible'
Sarah Palin has spoken out against those trying to place blame for Arizona shootings.
January 12th, 2011

Palin says efforts to lay blame 'reprehensible'

Sarah Palin spoke out on the Arizona shootings Wednesday, calling the events "tragic" and sharply chastising those who have suggested charged rhetoric from her and others on the right may have motivated the killings.

"Like many, I've spent the past few days reflecting on what happened and praying for guidance. After this shocking tragedy, I listened at first puzzled, then with concern, and now with sadness, to the irresponsible statements from people attempting to apportion blame for this terrible event," Palin said in a video posted on her Facebook page.

"Acts of monstrous criminality stand on their own. They begin and end with the criminals who commit them, not collectively with all the citizens of a state, not with those who listen to talk radio, not with maps of swing districts used by both sides of the aisle, not with law-abiding citizens who respectfully exercise their First Amendment rights at campaign rallies, not with those who proudly voted in the last election," the former Alaska governor said.

Palin's statements come in the wake of suggestions from some Democrats and media commentators that her political rhetoric over the last year may be linked in some way to the shooting Saturday that left Democratic U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in critical condition.

Some critics have cited a Facebook posting by Palin last march that placed a crosshair over several Democratic-controlled congressional districts, including that of Giffords. Palin also tweeted at the time: "Commonsense Conservatives & lovers of America: "Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!"

But in her statement Wednesday, Palin said any effort to connect statements by her or others to the shootings amounts to a "blood libel."

Read full Political Ticker post
  1. tony

A couple months ago Sara Palin was trying to warn all of us there were going to be death panels in the future.
    How did she know it would start in Arizona?

January 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. The Truth

You know what!. For what I would consider fairly intelligent people on this blog, you sure do sound mighty ignorant. To even think another person is responsible other than the deranged individual is absurd. That person couldn't put a coherent sentence together. Just quit with all the unfounded assumptions. Cnn is doing that for you as always.

January 12, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. HAD ENOUGH

LOL LOL LOL

January 12, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Name*Dewey

The bimbo speaks again.

January 12, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. worc

Sarah is reading me a bedtime story now guns & roses.

January 12, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DEG

May I qualify to be a right wing conservative? Here are some of my characteristcs. I'm not very wealth(but I believe in "free" enterprise (although I know that nothing is free/ I'm not self righteous(but I'm a Christian/ I'm aware of the least among us(and I do help)/ But
    I do believe The USA needs to be a land where everyone can freely buy assault guns to hunt elk (but,why?)/ I think it is ok to say whatever I want to in order to stir up emotions for my financial benefit, but u should not look to me for apologies when/if the wrong fool listens. Finally, I can sip tea and spit it out on "them" meaning those that we need to take the country back from (whoever those illegals are). Do I qualify? Awww. Am I just too thoughtful before I speak? Shucks everyone doesn't have the skills of Sarah and "You Lie" Joe or good old Gov. Sanford. That takes years of practicing how to thow rocks and hide the hand.

January 12, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wannabe

May I qualify to be a right wing conservative? Here are some of my characteristcs. I'm not very wealthy

January 12, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. big AL

@nee and others like you. Please learn the facts and please don't sensationalize the lies an delusion of the truth. The shooter had contact with the Congress woman before we even heard about Sarah Palin per CNN! Can you say "egg on my face"?

January 13, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. orcasea

Sarah, Thank you, the whole world can breath easier now!!

January 13, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Clueless

This lady is so detached from reality, it makes me wonder, has our nation gone mad? Forget all this Liberal or Conservative junk, any person who uses phrases like " take up arms " & " blood libel " when expressing political veiws needs to be mentally evaluated!

January 13, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
    • John G

Anyone saying "to the back of the bus" for a specific party and also calling that party the enemy while being president isn't a uniter but clearly a divider. Anyone following a person like that is truly insane.

January 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. phoenix

What's all this baloney about target stores? Give me a break! Stop grasping at straws people.howstupid can you be? Sp and her cronies are not directly responsible but their actions and words have been violent and unforgivable for too long now.

January 13, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Molly

Ignore her. Don't listen to anything she says, don't read articles about her. Don't say her name. That's the worse punishment you can inflict on people like her who crave the limelight.

January 13, 2011 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. Debbie

I have more compassion for Loughner who's almost surely insane than I do for Pslin who has purposefully, calculatedly lied and tried to incite violence for enormous profit. Palin whined and ranted that HER words were always OK, or misinterpreted ... but anyone speaking against HER was "reprehensible." Even the poor woman who questioned being put in Palin's rifle crosshairs, and now lies fighting for her life. I hope all this opens people's eyes and finishes off the prospects of this awful woman.

January 13, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. rgl

SHOOT FROM THE LIP plus SHOOT IN THE FOOT equals SARAH PALIN.

January 13, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. papa worm

God Bless the USA . . . that being said I was always told that here in America we have a freedom of speach and if Ms Palin wants to say something she has that right and we have the right to agree or not. Placing blame on her or other for one mans action is just as retarted as blaming violent movies and video games. God gave us free will and that man choose the wrong path. Sarah didnt load that mans clip and hand him a gun he had to do that and will pay for it. I believe there is alot of jealousy towards Sarah bc she says what she thinks and doesnt care what most think of it . . . she threw a hissy fit win someone said something about her family if you dont understand that then your not much of a family person. However she might go about things the wrong way sometimes but thats her right. its easy for us to talk about someone whose life is so public, but what have you done lately to help out outhers. Before we start hating on others come join me at a soup kitchen or building homes for the homeless. People love to sit on thier high chairs but im sure most of em dont contribut to society any way wut so ever. Remember you can judge others but you will be judge also.
    I believe an armed nation is a peacful one. Would that man have done that if anyone in that crowd could of possesd a pistol . . . maybe but after the first or second shot he would of recieved a number of rounds center mass. I own guns and you will not take them from me . . . i was raised a country boy and spend my free time in the woods or on the water . . . some of you should try it, its unbelievably relaxing. Instead you search the internet for what politicain made a mistake today . . . 1 Penny makes change – Jeremy Courtade

January 13, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |