Wednesday's intriguing people
Twenty people were shot Saturday outside a Safeway grocery in Tucson, Arizona.
January 12th, 2011

Wednesday's intriguing people

Mary Reed

Mary Reed's 17-year-old daughter, Emma, was a congressional page last summer for Gabrielle Giffords but never got a picture with her. So Reed and her daughter went to the constituent event at a Safeway in Tucson, Arizona, on Saturday, hoping for a photo opportunity.

Suddenly, gunfire broke out, and Reed was struck in the left arm. She pinned Emma to a wall to protect her and then took two more bullets in her right arm and back.

"He was literally going to have to go through me, and that wasn't going to happen," Reed told CNN affiliate KPHO.

Reed, who is recovering at home, is more concerned now with the psychological scars than the physical ones.

"My children had to witness people being killed, people dying right by them, blood everywhere. It's a very hard thing to acknowledge that's what my children had to experience," she told KPHO.

Trent Humphries

Tucson's Tea Party co-founder says the killings in Tucson have led to a conspiracy to shut down his organization and silence criticism of the U.S. government.

Humphries says statements made by Pima County Sheriff Charles Dupnick have prompted a string of hateful calls and e-mails to him and other members of his movement.

"A lot have taken as gospel that the sheriff says that this (shooting) was caused by talk radio, by Tea Party extremists, that that must be the case," Humphries told the British publication The Guardian. "I think it's done a lot of damage. It's given people the idea that somebody like my wife and I caused this murder.

"There's no evidence. And there's no evidence Sarah Palin caused this murder," he continued.

"The Democrats are using this opportunity to bludgeon their opponents. People don't want to hear that it was just some stupid, evil act that had no bearing in rationality. They want it to make sense."

Humphries said he too is grieving after learning of the death of his neighbor Dorwan Stoddard.

Carla Glori

An Italian art historian doesn't know why the "Mona Lisa" was painted but she says she does know where.

Carla Glori says that three-arched stone bridge over Mona Lisa's left shoulder is in Bobbio, a village south of Piacenza, in northern Italy.

Although most historians believe the landscape behind the subject is one drawn from Da Vinci's imagination, Glori is convinced it's a real place, according to The Guardian. She will publish further details in her new book, "The Leonardo Enigma," due for release this year.

1. Schmit

No greater love is one who will lay down their life.. The love of a mother/father for their children.. The love of God and Christ Jesus..

January 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

That same mother would have traded her life for her daughters and is very real can we please not compare her to a fictional character ? I find it a bit disrespectful but as you say the same for fathers having this natural reaction to protecting their young you are 100 steps ahead of the ones that appear to be taking only about politics |(teabagolib or something like that).

January 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • OldArmyVet

Jebus has nothing to do with it.

January 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe smith

Yeah, ummm....where were God and his 'entourage' when the 9 year old was being slain by one of God's children? Sorry, still not convinced on that 1.

January 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigD

Unfortunately I find that the most hateful people are typically the ones who don't believe in God. The ones who do believe tend to be a bit more compassionate. I'd rather have the believers in my life than those who choose to denounce religion at every turn and spew hate. The believers will be the ones to help you when you are in need. Those who don't believe, typically only help themselves.

January 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beverly

AMEN!!!

January 12, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • DYLANSDADDY

@BigD- I agree 100%

January 12, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • righteous-in-Christ

HMMM, SAY IT LIKE IT IS.....BigD!!!!

AMEN, VERY TRUE INDEED!!!!

January 12, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Strange BigD, because I have found the exact opposite to be true. The "believers", as you so quaintly put it, are the ones, like yourself, that sit back sanctimoniously and judge others without knowing them. It is awfully presumptuous of you assume that you need fairy tales in your life in order to be a moral person.

January 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • 4Mom25

Spew your anti-God rhetoric somewhere where people care. . . like on MSNBC.

January 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nunya

Schmit, well said!

January 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigD

@Jeff – I think you may suffer from paranoia. Most believers are too busy trying to live their lives in gods light to worry about judging you. Now, if you are doing things that are illegal, then I am going to protect my family from going anywhere near you. I don't view that as being judgmental, I view that as protecting them against someone who might cause them harm. Besides my point was that the believers are the givers of this world and the non-believers are not. Why didn't you address that?

January 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

@BigD: Yeah, totally. Things like the Inquisition, Columbus forcing the conversion of Native American, Nazis forcing conversion etc. etc. etc. All goodhearted believers in Jesus. Look man, believe what you want but don't you dare say I or anyone else is a lesser person because they have different beliefs than you. That's the same mentality terrorists have. This country is great because we have the choice to decide our beliefs. Regardless of what they are. Your pride and ignorance are pathetic.

January 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • amazed

BigD...are you serious? Believers are the most compassionate? While I know many that are very compassionate and dear people, there are also a lot of hate from other believers…hate toward anyone who doesn’t share exact same belief. I think that is what turns off many of our young people from religion. Look at our world history at how many ‘murders’ were caused in the name of god and religion by believers. It has been going on for thousands of years, and still happens today. I agree with Jeff…too many ‘Believers’ quick to judge everyone else. Just in the news yesterday…Kansas based Baptist church to protest at little girls funeral…because she is catholic? Are you serious? Catholics are believers and even they are judged by other believers…and protested against. Can’t we all just get a long and not worry about what some else believes in?

January 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Death Panel Sarah

To BigD....yeah the non-believers did the crusades,the inquisition, 911, the holocaust, etc.

You sure are right(meaning wing only)!

January 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Death Panel Sarah

To BigD....you find wrong....the prisons are full of believers!!!!
      Try to find an athiest there!!!!!

January 12, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Ahhh yes... The "givers"! The givers of free guilt and empty threats and promises of eternal damnation for having the gall to think for oneself. The gifts that keep on giving!

If you are interested in a real "giver" I would refer you back to the mother in the story who was willing to give her life to save her child.

January 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigD

@Josh, @Death – Should you be classified as a racist because of what your ancestors did? Every hate filled response just proves my point.

@amazed – No true believer of God is on board with those lunatics from OK. They are not of God. There is a difference.

January 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigD

@Jeff – That "eternal damnation" is not what God is about. Those are fanatics, not true followers of the word. Do a little research. You will be enlightened.

January 12, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigD

@Jeff – "eternal damnation" is not what God is about. Those are fanatics, not true followers of the word. Do a little research. You will be enlightened.

January 12, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigD

My original post was about spewing hate and boy has it come out in droves. Thank you for helping me prove my point.

January 12, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

BigD: Posting it twice doesn't make it any more true. I have done plenty of research. Why is it always assumed that atheists don't know anything about religion when in fact they often know more than the purported believers of those religions? It sounds to me like you're just ignoring the Old Testament and picking and choosing what you like from the New. That's fine, but you don't get to pretend like the former isn't the corner stone of all christian religions. There is more than enough hellfire and brimstone to go around in the OT.

January 12, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigD

@Jeff – There were changes from the Old to New. The son of God changed all of that. I never assumed you knew nothing about religion. However, if you do know more about it, then please enlighten me. The truth is that God forgives all sins if asked to do so. I really didn't come here to preach, but you keep insisting... By the way, your little dig about posting it twice, that is exactly what I am talking about. I'm sure it has happened to you before. Your browser stalls, you hit post again and then both of your posts show up. You didn't need to point that out. But as a non-beliver it made you feel smarter than me. Once again, proving my my initial point about non-believers. Don't worry though, God still loves you.

January 12, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Death Panel Sarah

To BigD(ummy)....yeah the inquisitors gave a LOT.....the conquistadors gave a lot......the crusaders gave a lot!!!!

Need more?

January 12, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigD

@Death – Again, thanks for proving my point! Childish name calling just reinforces my initial statement. Blaming current believers for the actions of fanatics from long ago simply does not prove anything. As I said before, are you a racist because of what your ancestors did? Of course not, so how am I and my fellow believers responsible for those actions that you referenced? I'll ask you as I have asked the others. When was the last time you did something for someone other than yourself? I notice that not one of you has responded to that question. Hmmmmmm...

January 12, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

@BigD: I wasn't blaming all historical evils on Christianity. I was giving examples of believers that still were responsible for atrocities. In addition, I see you failed to address my significant point regarding forcing your views on others. That mentality is as Un-American as one can get. The whole reason this country was founded was to escape the religious persecution of England. Once again, you or anyone else holding the belief that different views equate to inferior people is disgusting and hypocritical.

January 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mikey

I agree with you 100% there and i hope her daughter does not have any lasting affects from this

January 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tamars

this story isn't "intruiging". it's very nice and heartwarming but not intriguing. Most mothers would do the same!

January 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Milo

@tamars: You would be horrified to know the truth about most mothers

January 12, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • WHAT!

Any good mother/father would do that for there childern.

January 12, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • UHhello

I would do it for my kids that is for sure.

January 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Too bad you feel the need post anything even remotely negative about this story. Have you no shame?

January 12, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. A Mother

I would do the same for my children, that is your job. When you pray for children you tell God you will do anything for them, including die. I commend this mother.

January 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sees All Evil

@Schmit Amen fellow Christian. So tired of teabaggers trying to justify thier rhetoric stop making excuses for stirring a cauldron of crap with guns and crosshair politics. the days of pistols at dawn are over. Its time to put God back into politics not spouting a bunch of incendiary messages that make sick minds act out. We are all children of God and need to act more civil and much less abrasive. Still waiting for an acknowledgment from sarah that her map with crosshairs could have been misinterpreted but all i hear is shes a victim. yeah sarah tell that to the victims and families in Arizona.

January 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Hallelujah brother!

January 12, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • OneWhoRisesGunsFallsByIt

Enough of the violence and vitriol in Politics. Lets act our age and have a matured adult like debate/discussion to solve our problems.

January 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • cobra

Sorry but you don't see anything, just spewing rhetoric.

January 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • OldArmyVet

Whose god would you like to be put back into politics?

January 12, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Why do Xians feel the need to inject god into everything, even when it has nothing to do with the story? God has no place in politics or anywhere else for that matter, but especially not in government.

January 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Death Panel Sarah

To Seesallevil.....you are all over the board. You say tea-baggers(who are fundamental christian) are spewing hate, but then you say to put God back into ploitics?????
      That's what the tea-baggers are doing!!!

January 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ellen Hunt, PhD

Sorry Humphries. Time to take what you have dished out for so long. You like it when your side shoots off its mouth and calls for bullets instead of ballots. But you don't like it when you are justly accused of being they party of demagogues.

Yes, you and yours are demagogues. Most of the rank and file of any movement are nice enough people. It's who leads them that matters.

January 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Henry Miller

And Barack "they bring a knife, we bring a gun" Obama is blameless?

Careful, your hypocritical double-standard is showing.

January 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. James Quinn

I don't believe in a God. I think there was a man named Jesus and it is likely he was an enlightened man as his brother the man who followed him and grew up with him James later taught after the death of Jesus. One of the very first Christian Churches. So since James was his brother and a follower, later a leader of one of the earliest Christian Churches I tend ot believe him and no Jesus was not devine but rather a very wise man for his time. The mother was and is a hero. Very brave in the face of certain harm and even likely death. She is a great example for her children to follow.

Pagan jim

January 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jessica

Trent Humphries, We don't want to shut you down (I would love it if your ilk would go away though). We want you and yours to stop with the death and shooting rhetoric i.e.: 2nd amendment remedies, photos with cross hairs superimposed and the don't retreat just reload stuff. It is inflammatory and incites violence from unbalanced individuals. If you can't get your point across without using such language then you have no right to govern the US in any capacity in my opinion.

January 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • CaringFool

Well said.

January 12, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. j

Just like a republican to blame EVERYONE but himself and his wife, and the other morons in the tea party.
    This is what you get when cowards congregate. You spew garbage and hate and lies, but when it comes back on you, you
    deny EVERYTHING, yet defend it all. You are a bunch of evil and sad people. YUCH!!!!!!!!!!

January 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joyce

This sick person was so absorbed with himself, he probably never even saw the crosshairs.

January 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kenny

I have always known that if it came down to me or my daughter being hurt or possiblyy killed, I would do whatever it takes to defend and or shield her from harm, even if it means the loss of my life. Such a reaction or response is natural. She is 33 now and no longer living at home and even now there would be no thought to laying down my onw life to save her.

January 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cel

I prefer being a Christian than to be a Tea Partier or Republican or Democrat. I know right from wrong and the Tea Party has been clearly wrong in their response to this tragedy and in their inflammatory rhetoric.

January 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JoshInTexas

What ever happened to good old fashioned CRAZY? It seems a bit self satisying to place blame on anyone other than the shooter. Anyone who kills another human being (not in self defense) is mental. Who are we to blame anyone else? Maybe he played violent video games or listened to Marilyn Manson...give me a break. Listen to yourselves. Too many ignorant people getting involved.

January 12, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

I'm with you to a degree, but on the flip side I am also sick and tired of people being able to do whatever they want and then just play the "crazy" card at the end of it. I don't buy for one second that this moron didn't know what he was doing when he set out that morning with a pistol. He didn't just turn crazy on the scene, he planned this and executed it. We need to stop making excuses and hold people accountable.

January 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Death Panel Sarah

Josh...I would agree, but video games and music do not direct violence at any particular person, such as a congressman(person). He planned and acted this out with a particular end in sight. The hate and vitrol, however, does focus on a particular person(usually democratic).
      Do you see the difference?

January 12, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. T3chsupport

Dupnik didn't say anything that most people weren't already thinking. If it wasn't him saying it, it would have been someone else. And if not that someone else, the next person. And if not them, then the next.

Don't get mad at someone for calling the sky blue just because you want it to be green. Even if they don't say it's blue, they're thinking it, and someone is bound to say it.

Maybe instead of blaming people for blaming them, they should step back and try to figure out why it was so easy for everyone to pin it on them.

January 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Like that

@pagan jim- when that fire hits you and the rest in the ass, just tell God that you needed more evidence, more proof that He was real. Get on in the fire, being thankful that God heard you out.

January 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoshInTexas

Typical Christian. I'm right, you're wrong. Threats of fire after life...nice.

January 12, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • OldArmyVet

Frightened by mythical fire much?

January 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

'Like that' is not a typical Christian. A true Believer would not make such a judgmental statement.

January 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

@sheppard

And yet they all do, don't they?

January 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Stop bringing religion into everything. You love god and your religion we get it but this story is about a mother protecting her little girl that is an animal instinct. Go stand on a corner like those Westboro church people and preach about your useless beliefs to people who aren't listening lol There is a bigger force out there. God and religion are creations of man so feel free to hope off the century long bandwagon and use your brain.

January 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Death Panel Sarah

Another 'good' christian......Who's spewing hate???

January 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |