Wednesday's intriguing people
Twenty people were shot Saturday outside a Safeway grocery in Tucson, Arizona.
January 12th, 2011

Wednesday's intriguing people

Mary Reed

Mary Reed's 17-year-old daughter, Emma, was a congressional page last summer for Gabrielle Giffords but never got a picture with her. So Reed and her daughter went to the constituent event at a Safeway in Tucson, Arizona, on Saturday, hoping for a photo opportunity.

Suddenly, gunfire broke out, and Reed was struck in the left arm. She pinned Emma to a wall to protect her and then took two more bullets in her right arm and back.

"He was literally going to have to go through me, and that wasn't going to happen," Reed told CNN affiliate KPHO.

Reed, who is recovering at home, is more concerned now with the psychological scars than the physical ones.

"My children had to witness people being killed, people dying right by them, blood everywhere. It's a very hard thing to acknowledge that's what my children had to experience," she told KPHO.

Trent Humphries

Tucson's Tea Party co-founder says the killings in Tucson have led to a conspiracy to shut down his organization and silence criticism of the U.S. government.

Humphries says statements made by Pima County Sheriff Charles Dupnick have prompted a string of hateful calls and e-mails to him and other members of his movement.

"A lot have taken as gospel that the sheriff says that this (shooting) was caused by talk radio, by Tea Party extremists, that that must be the case," Humphries told the British publication The Guardian. "I think it's done a lot of damage. It's given people the idea that somebody like my wife and I caused this murder.

"There's no evidence. And there's no evidence Sarah Palin caused this murder," he continued.

"The Democrats are using this opportunity to bludgeon their opponents. People don't want to hear that it was just some stupid, evil act that had no bearing in rationality. They want it to make sense."

Humphries said he too is grieving after learning of the death of his neighbor Dorwan Stoddard.

Carla Glori

An Italian art historian doesn't know why the "Mona Lisa" was painted but she says she does know where.

Carla Glori says that three-arched stone bridge over Mona Lisa's left shoulder is in Bobbio, a village south of Piacenza, in northern Italy.

Although most historians believe the landscape behind the subject is one drawn from Da Vinci's imagination, Glori is convinced it's a real place, according to The Guardian. She will publish further details in her new book, "The Leonardo Enigma," due for release this year.

1. 67 yr old man on bus

I want to kick Trents a$$....

January 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bama

I would do anything to protect my children and my Grandchildren. I can understand why any mother or father would.

January 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeremy

In reply to Mr. Humphries, and the indignation the Tea Party feels, I would like to pose a question. What would his (and others) response be, if anyone other than Ms. Palin and her spokepeople had posted the controversial "cross-hairs" images? What if that group were even remotely connected to some Islamic organization, would those images be tolerated?
    To hurl vitriol and be very hostile, opens yourself up to the kinds of accusations that are happening right now, so I have no sympathy. To debate, and argue with facts, is civil. ADM Crowe, former Chariman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said "An educated person is a person who can change their mind, when confronted with the facts."
    We dont' have a good grasp fo what facts are true; none of us can agree on that first point. We also can't agree what the facts teach us. Conservatives think that "liberal" is a bad word, and only conservatives care about moral values, and are real patriots. That is not a true fact. Liberals think that conservatives by-and-large are unintelligent rubes, stubborn and unwilling to change. That is also not a true fact. There are good and smart people, who have considered themselves both conservatives and liberals, who have sacrificed their lives so we can live as we do.

We have the best country in the world, and the only form of government that has lasted 200+ years in a row. Nobody else can say that. Let's focus on how we can keep our young people strong, and keep the country safe and strong too, shall we?

January 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. marcellus wallace

the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike........

January 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Racewars

My Gawd...this woman most of been blackque or CNN would never have wrote her up with such honors!!!

January 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dave

Yeah this is not "intriguing" but an amazing story. Stop bringing religion into everything. You love god and your religion we get it but this story is about a mother protecting her little girl that is an animal instinct. Go stand on a corner like those Westboro church people and preach about your useless beliefs to people who aren't listening lol There is a bigger force out there. God and religion are creations of man so feel free to hope off the century long bandwagon and use your brain.

January 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Wow, Dave. If I would have read your comment before posting MY rant, I would have saved myself A LOT of time. I'm so glad, I was starting to think maybe I was the DELUDED one. Religion makes me sick

January 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. stormsun

Trent Humphries is mistaken. There is no conspiracy by "liberals" or the "left" to destroy the Tea Party. The Sheriff of Pima County was expressing what MANY Americans, myself included, believe to be a deteriorating climate of anger and animosity that goes beyond simple partisan politics. Party politics have become so bitter and rancorous that we routinely see people hurling insults at their fellow citizens that sound like these other Americans are the enemies of the country. WAKE UP! We have real enemies. They aren't your neighbors who happen to support abortion rights or stricter gun control or more widely available health care. I am a lifelong, registered Republican, but I will tell you bluntly that I am ashamed of many of the things I have heard people say in print and on the radio or television, supposedly promoting the GOP. This in NO way condones the excesses, and there have been many, by those in the Democratic camp. I hate their angry, divisive rhetoric just as much. It all stinks. Look around you...these are your countrymen, and having and expressing differences of opinion is a treasured right, not an act of treason.

January 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. skumbagel

howz about carrying out the death penalty on some of those blacksques that r constantly receiving it for the murders they are doing on the First 48 TV reality murder show!!!!

January 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. rinenngan

o

January 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. 63yearoldman cherking off

Ya...kill some blackques puleeze...there are too many of them murdering all other races in this country...we need to start extermination of some of them!!! Association for the protection of Jewish people

January 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. 63yearoldman cherking off

Too hell with the TEA PARTY, down with skin head NAZIS like the one that shot that Jewish congressman in AZ and start frying some black meat...we have too much of it running around offing whites, Latinos, Asians and others.

January 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. R-

Does anyone else wonder what the Mona Lisa has to do with any of this?

January 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • 63yearoldman cherking off

Mona Lizza??? R u Cracy???

January 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • 63yearoldman cherking off

how about Louise Jefferson...does she have anything to do with this???

January 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobster

The bible was man made, but if man wrote the bible ( Fact or Fantisy ) the bar is set so very high that no one will ever rise to that level ,...we're just not Evolved enough, Yet!

January 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • 63yearoldman cherking off

speak fer urself, boobie!!! I am evolved high enough to KNOW not to go around shooting people even if they r dumb as shytt!!!

January 12, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

Why does it always have to be about GOD with you people? Big D, you say you FIND "the most hateful people are the ones who don't believe in god?" Where did you FIND this info at? Let me give all you deluded christians some INFO before you all start to speculate and make ridiculous comments that you have no evidence or proof to back it up. Religion and your unseen "god" has brought on the darkest times in our history. The Crusades, 1M innocent Men, Woman, and Children butchered.The Inquisition, 350k butchered. The Witch-hunting 1M butchered. We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. A lot of innocent people are dead. You should really think about keeping your religious views to yourself. I'm sure the family's of the victims reading these comments would be shocked that you made such a claim. I will leave you with a quote from Richard Dawkins "For many people the main reason they cling to religion is not that it is consoling, but that they have been let down by our educational system and don't realize that non-belief is even an option"

January 12, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • 63yearoldman cherking off

PUTRIDGASH!!!!

January 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigD

I have plenty of evidence to back up everything that I said. Do you have some new perspective on this or are you just content spewing the same garbage as the others who deep down know that I am right. Besides, you did not addressed the initial statement that believers are the givers of the world. Would you care to elaborate on your extensive kindness to others? BTW – What got me started on this was someone else bashing a believer. I was interested in a story about a mother sacrificing herself for her child. Then I read the threads and saw the hate-filled remarks as usual. The hate is not coming from the believers. Take a look, and too my point, you will see.

January 12, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Death Panel Sarah

BigD-the hate is in response to the hate coming from your side for years. You have conditioned us to hate also. It's all your side can understand!!!
      Why are you so interested in what kindness we do? Are you the kindness fairy?
      I will have you know I do plenty of charity work. Why do YOU care? Taking a poll? You are certainly banal!!!

January 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John

For all you deluded people in the world. Watch my 18 year old little brother share a better understanding about Religion that most ADULTS cannot grasp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3TlumvSKUw

January 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |