'America's Missing': After leaving friend's house, Lindsey Baum disappears
Lindsey Baum was last seen on June 26, 2009.
January 17th, 2011

'America's Missing': After leaving friend's house, Lindsey Baum disappears

Editor's note: HLN is airing a special "Nancy Grace: America’s Missing" with the goal of trying to find 50 people over the next 50 days. Nancy Grace will take a look at several cases across the country in hopes of  helping to solve them. This is the first case.

Ten-year-old Lindsey Baum was at her friend's home six blocks in away in McCleary, Washington, on June 26, 2009, when her friend's mom thought she should begin the walk home before it got too dark.

She was last seen at 9:15 p.m. in the neighborhood and never made it home.

Baum’s story will be the first installment featured Monday night on "Nancy Grace: America’s Missing" live at 9 p.m. ET only on HLN.

For more information on Baum, her description, and information to contact authorities, visit Nancy Grace's blog.

iReport: Your stories of missing loved ones

Other resources:
FindLindseyBaum.com

CUE Missing Persons: The hunt for Lindsey Baum

CNN affiliate KATU's coverage of Lindsey Baum case:

Police focusing on person of interest in missing girl case
More surveillance video released in search for Lindsey Baum

Search still active for Lindsey Baum

Lindsey Baum's disappearance still a mystery

1. Mari

Carly Brucia comes to mind

January 17, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aussie oioi

Yep and other missing children. I feel so sorry for her family and I hope the person/s who did this are caught soon and never allowed near children again.

January 18, 2011 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. Yetty

Wondering why the friend's mom will let leave by herselt @ 9.15pm. My prayers and thoughts are with her family.

January 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alzaetia

In the summer time in Washington it gets dark very late. In July it can still be bright and sunny at 10 pm sometimes.
      But I'm not sure the article says that she told her to head home at 9:00, just that she was last seen in her neighborhood at that time.

January 17, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

I wondering if anyone has thought this... maybe something happened at the friends house.. !! Stranger things have happened... maybe she never did make it out of that house!

January 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Myself

I agree. I feel terrible for everyone involved, but as a mother she should have driven her home.

January 18, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joe

Child molesters are everywhere and they infest every neighborhood. You need to carry a weapon to protect from these predators. Always walk children home!!!

January 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christine

You're an idiot. The friends parents should have driven her home if it was only 6 blocks away. "before it got too dark?", it was 9:15! Pretty sure it was dark already.

January 17, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blaflargen

Christine: Here in WA state during the summer, light is still visible until close to 11pm, there would have been some light still at that time.

January 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aussie oioi

Children are taken during broad daylight, that's why mine wait for me to pick them up or their friend's parents to drop them back (no exceptions).

January 18, 2011 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian

They aren't, and they don't. "Predatory" child molesters (the sort that abduct children in public spaces) are extremely rare-certainly rarer than when I was a child-and far more carefully tracked than in the past (which is the primary reason you hear more about them). It is very sad that this girl went missing on such a short walk. It is also very, very atypical, and living in fear of shadows is the wrong response.

As if car rides weren't dangerous! Orders of magnitude more children are killed in collisions than go missing.

February 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cindy V

Why didn't the friend's mother drive her home or if she had no car at least call her parents and have her picked up.
    I would never let a child that young walk home alone even one block let alone 6. Sounds like there could be more to this story.

January 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alzaetia

Could be more to this story? Like the kid walked over there herself and so the mom thought she could go home the same way? She was seen after she left the house.
      She told her to head home before it got, which implies that it wasn't dark when she left.

January 17, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Amy

Way to have a grammar error in your headline, CNN.

January 17, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

It sickens me that every time i turn on the tv another kid is missing . Its become an epidemic . I detest Nancy Grace ( I watch her out of some twisted self-torture , I hate myself for doing it. I love to hate her I guess ) That being said , I give her credit for trying to help the poor families of the victims and i hope for happy endings .

January 17, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nikki

What kind of Mom allows a 10-year old to walk home alone at 9:15 p.m.? I can't even comprehend the mindset (especially in todays climate) that would let an adult think this was okay. Children are grabbed during broad daylight during church functions, right in proximity to parents and out of homes. I hope this woman feels the guilt and shame that she should for being so careless with a precious little girl.

January 17, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • CNN Editor

Blaming the weather is quite far fetched.

January 17, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • flip

Lol, hey editor, go ahead and quit your job go back to school and learn the several mean to the word climate. In today's violent and disruptive societal climate no child should go home alone!

January 18, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • CNN Editor

Dear Flip,

A grammar Queen would say, " You should not quit your day job."

When in doubt, google it.

January 18, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nikki

Did not mean to make this sound like the Mom's fault, this is directed at the person in charge of this child.

January 17, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. gwen grace

Prayers with the family

January 17, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. gwen grace

What happend to my comment.?

January 17, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. yenniee

First of all why would her parents let her leave the house with talking to the friends parents...please people love ur kids dont leave them by their selfs not even for one second always take care of them... will in my case i wont never leave my daughter by herself.. if she needs to go any where then i take her and be there otherwise no no no... thats why u should be more then just a parent to ur kids.... now to end this ...friends mother i hope ur happy and can sleep throught the night u knowing u could have prevented that... untill then... in ur conscious...

January 17, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Snooks

It says she was last seen at 9:15 not that she left her friend's house at that time. Learn to read people!!

January 17, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. liz

It doesn't matter if it was 6 or 9pm when she left,point is she should've been taken home by an adult! 6 blocks is too far for a 10yr old to walk alone! And were her parents aware that she'd b walking home alone? C'mon ppl! Does anyone use common sense anymore!?

January 17, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tee

My Lord why would she
    let her walk home
    by herself. I dont care if its only six blocks. Shes only 10.

January 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ernie

Before God was kicked out of our society, there was a lot less perverts abducting our children. I don't mean that in a rude way; but where is the moral foundation if there is no God? It is each to his own & the ruthless rule. Yes, always watch any child in your care or your sight for that matter. The death penalty really is too mild for these perverts.

January 17, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hardeehar

I agree with you. Too bad so many of those perverts are priests...

January 18, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |