After Brazil flooding, loyalty to the dead
January 17th, 2011

After Brazil flooding, loyalty to the dead

As the death toll from devastating flooding in Brazil continues to rise, a single picture drives home the sense of loss.

Leao, a medium-sized brown mutt,  lies next to the grave of her owner, Cristina Maria Cesario Santana, who died in the catastrophic landslides caused by heavy rain.  This AFP/Getty picture was taken on Saturday, the second consecutive day that the dog refused to leave the woman's grave at the cemetery in Teresopolis, near Rio de Janiero.

Brazilians are bracing for more rain, fearing more landslides after waves of muddy water swallowed towns in the country's worst flood disaster on record.

At least 655 deaths were reported in a mountainous region of Rio de Janeiro state, northeast of the city of Rio.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Brazil • Weather
  1. jjb

this is perhaps one of the sadest and most touching pictures i have ever seen...

January 17, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dori

What an impact a photo can make. It broke my heart! The hubby couldn't stand to look and not much gets him. Who was the photographer? I so hope that dog gets a good home. And thinking we humans are supreme, well that pic debunks that

January 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • brent

Next time you need surgery or a car loan, take that pic with you!
      See how 'supreme' Lassie is then!

January 17, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Fiona

Greyfriar's Bobby! This photo makes me cry. I hope someone is feeding and watering the dog...and will care for it.

January 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. devout1

The best thing to do is to put this poor friend down and bury it with mom. She's suffered too much and is a tortured soul. And don't start with 'ooo whhee dogs don't have souls oh whheee'. Ppl that are cruel to animals have no souls.

January 17, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fiona

...that last was a reply to "Jolly in the Face of Chaos," the moral conscious of the thread.

And do you really think that graves are hand dug, dear? They are all dug by "dozer,"or the equivalent. Even when they are done one at a time.

January 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raven

A "Back hoe" is the machine your looking for.

January 17, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Antdogg

a dog is your best friend. n will always be there no matter what... What does dog spell backwards.. everyone should have one.

January 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. devout1

Oh literal txs ad guy 🙂

January 17, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. a3

I love all animals but dogs have to be the most loyal of all. I've had numerous pets growing up but dogs catch me off gaurd with just how much they know. Simple as them knowing what your car sounds like when you pull up or just how excited they are to see their best friend... its amazing!

January 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mushmush

so sad! did this poor doggie really get adopted? how can we find out?

January 17, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Terri Herrington

What a sweet soul. I would be happy to give this precious baby a home if no one else steps up. Send me an e-mail.
    This breaks my heart.

January 17, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. devout1

Plz revoke mick vick's passport

January 17, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. devout1

Make that mike. Stupid blackberry autocorrect.

January 17, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tiabear

Here puppy. Here puppy. Rrruff rrrufff. I love animals. I miss my sheltie. She was soo full of love. Very loyal.

January 17, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. James

This reminds me of the movie "Hachi" with Richard Gere: It's entirely based on this idea. Dogs are the most loyal creature known to man. If this picture strikes a chord with you, I highly recommend watching the film. You'll love it.

January 17, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

The Gere movie is based on the story of the Akita dog Hachiko, who waited for his master at the Shibuya station in Tokyo for nine years after he had died; a statue of the dog stands where he used to wait.

January 17, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. devout1

They should use her as a kinectamal

January 17, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |