After Brazil flooding, loyalty to the dead
January 17th, 2011

After Brazil flooding, loyalty to the dead

As the death toll from devastating flooding in Brazil continues to rise, a single picture drives home the sense of loss.

Leao, a medium-sized brown mutt,  lies next to the grave of her owner, Cristina Maria Cesario Santana, who died in the catastrophic landslides caused by heavy rain.  This AFP/Getty picture was taken on Saturday, the second consecutive day that the dog refused to leave the woman's grave at the cemetery in Teresopolis, near Rio de Janiero.

Brazilians are bracing for more rain, fearing more landslides after waves of muddy water swallowed towns in the country's worst flood disaster on record.

At least 655 deaths were reported in a mountainous region of Rio de Janeiro state, northeast of the city of Rio.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Brazil • Weather
  1. Lee Bartholomew

Sounds like Haitchi Part 2 The dog knows.

January 17, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SimpleReally

What a terribly sad but amazingly beautiful picture.

ALL animals are special, it is just we humans are too arrogant to realize it.

This dog is simply demonstrating this most beautiful fact!

To the people of Brazil and all other countries going through tough times at the moment, I send my best wishes from Australia.

You are in our thoughts.

January 17, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JH

I would like to see the CNN reporter do a follow-up on this and what becomes of the dog. Poor baby.

January 17, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Raven

That's in the top 5 of the saddest things I've ever seen.

January 17, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Donna Casey

Ill bring the dog to the US if someone will assist me

January 17, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marilyn Copland

How do I adopt Leao? I live in Canada BUT I can speak Brazilian portuguese to him. AND he will be in a place of love.

January 17, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Donna Casey

Let me rephrase Can someone reliable touch base with me and i will sponsor the dogs rescue. d_casey@msn.com

January 17, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Wzrd1

Reminds me of the story of Hachikō, which CNN's auto-filter doesn't like.

January 17, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. GPS

Kelly thanks for the comment. I have always had dogs living in my house. Dogs and humans have evolved together over hundreds of thousands of years. Anyone who disputes this needs to read up on some science. Their ability to pick up on our emotions is not by accident. As for the comments made by the guy who puts his name as Jesus. Seriously, it is not funny to mock the religion and beliefs of millions, however, I respect your right to do this because we live in America. I however agree with Kelly. I would rather live my life and find out God doesn't exist at the end then live my live like he doesn't and find out that he does. Dogs love man, we should repay their love and dedication. I think people will step up and feed this dog even if he stays by his master's grave everyday.

January 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pacsman1972

Inspires you to be the kind if person your dog thinks you are.

January 17, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Trid

Sounds like new inspiration for Queens of the Stone Age to me.

January 17, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The Mayor 1975

What an incredible picture!

January 17, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Burbank

I hope someone adopts that poor dog.

January 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. 4Dogs

Will SOMEONE please rescue that poor dog? Where is Anderson Cooper?

January 17, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. anonymous

Kind of reminds me of the movie Hachi.

January 17, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |