Is repealing health care about health, or presidential election?
Rep. Steve King discussed how part of the goal of the bill is to elect a new president in 2012.
January 18th, 2011

Is repealing health care about health, or presidential election?

The House of Representatives begins debate this morning on H.R. 2 or as its named, "Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act." co-sponsored by Representative Steve King, a republican from Iowa and Representative Michele Bachmann, a republican from Minnesota.

The bill's goal is to repeal President Obama's health care reform legislation of last year. But with President Obama still in office and sure to veto any legislation the bill seems largely a symbolic effort.

Even among the public, a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll out this morning shows that Obama's approval rating is up five points since last month and support for repealing isn't overwhelming.

Before the debate begins, Rep. Steve King joins T.J. Holmes on American Morning defending the bill and saying the effort is all in hopes of electing a new president in 2012.

1. Scotty

I'd say about 50 / 50. The bill is horrible for freedom loving citizens, but politicians being what they are, it's always about the next election.

January 18, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel (USA ARMY)

The bill is as good as They could gt it because of the Republicans!!! Maybe now They can make it better... Only time will tell on that!!!

January 18, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Havildar

I would like someone to point out what makes this bill "horrible for freedom loving citizen"? Is closing to stupid greedy "medicare Rx donut hole" Horrible? Is providing coverage to 50 Million Americans "horrible"? Is providing coverage to Teens on their parents health insurance "horrible"? Is providing health coverage to everyone with or without pre-existing health conditions "horrible'? etc. etc. etc. Whose "freedom is infringed" ? I have never received an intellegnt answer from those "greed, brought" by the Insurance company detractors of the " Health Bill". Any answer Scotty?

January 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Havildar

Scotty do you drive a car? Do you have Auto Insurance? How is this different ? You still have the "freedom" to choose your own Ins. Co. ? So what is the beef? For over 2 years the Republicans sat on there oversized behinds and did nothing except LIE and LIE. Rationing Red States are already doing it Denying Healthcare treatment also going on Blackmail Insurance rates we have it now. So you want 100 Million Americans without Healthcare right?

January 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary

Ha Ha Ha-Freedom loving Americans. That rich. Thanks for the laugh today

January 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Richard

I wonder who "freedom loving citizens" are? I am a liberal Democrat; I like the original Obama bill; I don't want to see it repealed, although I'd be open to some changes; and I love my "freedom."

January 18, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Scotty

Here's a simple rule you can follow to test all of your political stand decisions;
      No matter the subject or the good intentions, does this intrude on my or anyone elses ability or right to make a decision for him/her self/

January 18, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

The only decision you had taken away from you is whether or not to have insurance. However, one impact to my life that this decision has removed is that I no longer have to pay for the medical treatments of those that are uninsured. i think thats a fair trade.

January 18, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. Scotty

I don't doubt that you love your freedom. I doubt that you understand that every time the government expands into areas of your life you lose some control,ie freedom.

January 18, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • SSGTUSMC

When your kid is dieing from cancer and no insurance carrier wants to pick you up because of pre-existing conditions I’m willing to sacrifice any freedom that I have to help my child. Point Blank no discussion. Go Obamacare!!

January 18, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel (USA ARMY)

You are wrong on both Counts... The People need Government to protect us from the Corporation, Insurance Companies and Manufactures that would take advantage of Us to make larger profits!!! If We still had the Regulations We use to have... We wouldn't have the mess We have today!!!

January 18, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sherri W.W.#1~ ILLinois

No,the HCR Bill is Not "horrible" by any means.It is one of the best things and 1st steps to making sure EVERYONE can have medical care~and making sure we all have the "Freedom"NOT to have to pay for our neighbors Hospital bill.I noticed a blogger yesterday,who thought if we all had $20,000 a yr,in health ins.~that wd probably be fine.For those so unfamilar with the caosts of care~When my husband had his heart attack and surgeries 10 YEARS AGO~the hosp.bill averaged $26,000 PER DAY! we ALL hv to have health ins now.

January 18, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mal - DC

Scotty: Can you outline some of these "freedoms" that are supposedly being taken away? And can you also cite your sources? I'd love to believe you're just an endless well of encyclopedic knowledge, but I doubt that's the case.

January 18, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Scotty

Sure Mal, how about the freedom to make the decision as to whether or not I want to be insured by Blue Cross with a 1000 dollar deductable, Prudential for catastrophic illness only, or maybe no insurance at all. You don't find it a bit socialistic that you will take what you are given and like it or lump it.

January 18, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

What makes you think you had a choice before? .. Typically your employer chose for you and maybe – just maybe you were given a couple of providers to choose from after your employer had decided what choices you were going to be allowed to make.

January 18, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • RUNDMC

Scotty's response is what is expected from a typical righty. It's okay for the corporation to run your life. The company I work for made record profits the last two years and this year looks good too. However, they are still laying people off. Why? So this years profits are bigger than last years and their stock will go up.

January 18, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. Daniel

These right-wing politicians will stop at nothing to get themselves elected. I expect that they'll eventually repeal health care in order to get more money for these two useless wars overseas!

January 18, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel (USA ARMY)

Scotty: With This Bill You can have any Company You want!!! But if You don't like Them You can find a Company that You can afford and still get the coverage You need!!!

January 18, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Milidad

You are mistaken, and unfortunately, misinformed. There is no requirement that you be able to afford Health Insurance Coverage. Insurance Company Outlays are going to go through the roof. There are some illnesses that costs millions, for a single person. That means everyone loses in the end.

January 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Scotty

SSgt, if that is your situation I'm terribly sorry for you and yours. But if you are a Marine your child is covered. If not there are many organizatios/charities to help, and I know I would do everything in my power to pay the bills.

January 18, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel (USA ARMY)

Sure if You are in active duty Your Family is insured!!! But if They die and aren't in the service anymore the coverage is taken away... That is why This Health Care Law is so good!!!

January 18, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  8. Laura Graff

Obamcare is government control over peoples lives. Imagine this its the first time government has decided
    to tell the indiviidual how to spend their income and where to spend their income. Taxes are one thing but
    whats next telling me I have to buy a new car every three years. Obama needs to be voted out he thinks
    he is king of US and not just president.

January 18, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel (USA ARMY)

You are wrong... It is to make sure that The People will have Coverage know matter what Their Health is!!! It also makes sure the Insurance Companies pay the Bills not the Government!!!

January 18, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

They just said you must get insurance, they didn't say who you must get it from (and how is this different from being required to get motor vehicle insurance?). If you really cannt afford it then help is available. Previously the uninsured were not just those who could not afford it but many that could but selfishly chose not to. When they fell ill and suddenly cannot afford to pay for the treatments they received the costs get passed onto those who are paying for insurance anyway.

The uninsured typically did not receive preventative care screenings and medications so when they had illnesses the treatments are much more expensive. Would you rather pay $10 for a 3 month supply of cholesterol lowering tablets or $100,000 for a heart bypass operation? Under the new system preventative care screenings are free – no deductible.

The ability to include my sons who are in college under my insurance is of great comfort. Previously many youngsters went without and took a risk (actually the financial risk was ultimately for all those that normally pay insurance premiums ). Now they are assured they will be insured untill they are in full time employment and able to pay for insurance themselves.

January 18, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. Scotty

Larry, the corporations can't make a profit if they don't give the people what they want, we won't buy from them and they'll go bankrupt. Only the goernment can monopolize like that

January 18, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel (USA ARMY)

Scotty: They just won't be making as big of a profit as They are making today!!! Why do You think there is so much difference between the Upper Class and the Rest of Us??? The Middle Class use to be $50,000 a year... Today it is $250,000 a year??? I only know a couple of People making that kind of Money!!! Are You??? If not You are lower Middle Class are poor!!!

January 18, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Amused

Not true Scotty, Insurance companies make most of their profit from refusing coverage and daring you to find another insurance company that won't screw you. Prior to Obamacare, there were no laws to prevent them from screwing you, so they screwed everyone for profit! – including the doctors! And your only other choice was NO insurance since the companies colluded and controlled the health industry. You obviously LIKE your insurance company telling your Doctor what treatments he is ALLOWED to perform, right!? I prefer letting my DOCTOR make decisions about treatment options instead of Insurance company bean counters who know NOTHING about healthcare.

January 18, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Oh yes they can – especially if all the providers are offering more or less the same things. People will opt for what they can get rather than what they want. All they need to do is to provide an illusion of choice and the general population go away fat dumb and happy because they typically do not know any better.

January 18, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff

It's all about politics. Anybody who says anything different is fooling themselves.

Republicans say they don't want to add to the deficit but the CBO shows that repealing this bill will add to the deficit – the Republicans response: "I don't beleive those numbers."

January 18, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Insurance companies have also seen a large increase in small companies taking up the opportunity to offer insurance to employees. The scare mongering that this bill would result in additional costs has not materialized. Sure people saw an increase in premiums this year but then premiums have risen every year in the past.

January 18, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. Scotty

Larry, that's a perfect example you just gave. I already Have the coverage I need so stay out of my decision making. What will happen when they decide my coverage isn't what they think I need, will I be "free" to choose another of "thier" options ?

January 18, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. LarryKegel (USA ARMY)

It is time that all the People of This Country gets a chance to better Themselves!!! Social Security and Wages should be brought up to the cost of Living!!!

January 18, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Scotty

Everyone in this country has the chance to better themselves, they just aren't guarenteed the end result, which I'm afraid is what you really mean. You sure you're a soldier?

January 18, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. Scotty

It's my day off and I've got some yardwork to do. I'll come back in a while and check to see if you lefties can get your acts together while I'm gone. You seem to post much better when there is no one on here to call you on your rants.

January 18, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Seriously?

Stop feeding the troll.

January 18, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • conservatives are morons!

why don't ya just stay out so we could have an intelligent conversation with out rednecks cutting in! You will see come 2012 how messed up your wonderful teaparty idiots screwed america. It is time that the word conservative or tea party should be a dirty word not liberal.

Sad about the health care bill really. For yrs all you hear "wish we had universal health care like canada" now that we may have this sara palin needs to slither in and put fear into people who just follow the redneck agenda blindly.

January 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLinois

I would like to add some info here,as it seems so many do not"get"the benefits of the HCR Bill yet. My husband has worked a good,but.hard job for over 50 yrs now.I worked an equally hard job for 35yrs.We paid into Soc.Sec.and Medicare every week~that is a combined 85years of making payments,so we can MAYBE live now.My husband has put off retiring for 3yrs now.Why?~because we hv not been able TO AFFORD OUR MEDICINES ON MEDICARE!~Finally~this yr~2011~the HCR will start paying for 1/2 the meds in the "donut hole"on Medicare.STILL~with the premiums AND deductibles~our medicines and health care will cost us at least$10,000 PER YEAR out of our Soc.Security~WAY more than our Blue Cross Ins costs us now,WITH him working! Now,we get almost top Soc.Sec.,which is still just above POVERTY LEVEL.~Tell me HOW most folks who only GET 10~$12,000 a yr on Soc.Sec,can even EAT OR LIVE? I think many have the idea that Medicare is some kind of free ride~hardly~you pay the F.I.C.A Tax for it when you work and THEN pay VERY HIGH PREMIUMS once you get on it.

January 18, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLinois

There are also many other good things about the HCR Bill. We have 2 grandchildren~both teens now~straight A students&college bound.The boy had cancer at 2 YEARS OLD.the girl had open Heat Surgeryey

January 18, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |