Major earthquake strikes southwestern Pakistan
January 18th, 2011

Major earthquake strikes southwestern Pakistan

[Updated at 4:47 p.m. ET] An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.2 struck
Wednesday morning in a remote area of southwestern Pakistan, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The earthquake occurred at 1:23 a.m. (3:23 p.m. Tuesday ET) at a depth of 84 kilometers (52 miles). It was centered 45 kilometers (28 miles) west of Dalbandin; 255 kilometers (158 miles) west of Kalat; 310 kilometers (192 miles) east-southeast of Zahedan, Iran; and 1,020 kilometers (633 miles) west-southwest of Islamabad, Pakistan, the USGS said on its website.

USGS initially reported the quake at 7.4. Quakes of 7.0 to 7.9 are classified as major; anything over 8.0 is classified as great.

Did you feel the quake? Share stories, photos and videos

Post by:
Filed under: Pakistan
  1. James

Some of these responses are absolutely appalling. As an American, I think its disgusting how many Americans say ignorant things like 'Hope it kills the radicals' or 'maybe this one got Bin Laden'. This is the kind of BS that makes other countries not like us. I hope the pakistani people are all ok, regardless of their views. A human life is a human life, regardless of what some of my ignorant countrymen might say.

January 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jayne

Agreed! I feel that I am fortunate to live in America, but I am sometimes ashamed to call myself an American when it links to me to these ignorant people.

January 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kamshaft

@ James. Posting from the US as well. Thanks for level-headed post, James. I have family in Pakistan and am quite worried about them.

January 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • R. Kershaw

We really have come quite low, haven't we? Amazing, it must be all of those reality shows.

January 18, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • walid

agree,thanks for your post
      people should care about the lives of the people that suffer. natural disasters like hurricane Katrina or floods in Australia and Brazil are not something to be happy about and to say god doesn't love this particular group
      I also have one question for those ill minded people, who trained bin laden and gave him weapons to fight the Russians

January 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • BIlal

I live in US , originally from Pakistan, I can tell you that most of my American Friends are amazing human beings and loving people. I hardly find people like these making comments, I am not sure where they popup from, Usually I have found everyday normal Americans to be very sensitive to relegion and culture. I have been here for 10 years, there are always some Stupid everywhere.

I hope everything is fine in that region.

Thanks

January 18, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Smarty Pants

I'm in Reading, PA and we did not feel a thing. I say again....we did NOT feel the earthquake.

January 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr.T

Roger that Reading

January 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. salem

i felt it here in Abu Dhabi weird eh?!

January 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Phil D

Not that I believe in this kind of stuff but we ought to take advantage of this event by telling the ignorant people of the area that this is God's punishment for the unholy acts of Muslim extremists in both Pakistan and Afghanistan.

January 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • walid

so this could also apply to natural disasters like hurricane Katrina or floods in Australia and Brazil too ? wake up and get real

January 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Colin's Fan

Colin You rock buddy!!

January 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jaydee

Can we ban earthquakes too? Come on extreme gun advocates, I cant do your job all day!

January 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. George

Hey guys! keep us informed, not so cool when your in fanciful dubai living in a high rise building surrounded by other high rise buildings. Any updates? Any chance of an encore?

January 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jeff

I hope you've got cave insurance!!!

January 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mike wilson

I fealt some tremmors here in Fort Worth, tx

January 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Truth

Deadly floods and earthquake shows that Allah is not happy from the people of pakistan b/c we pakistani show double-standards. We are muslims and doing all the non-muslim stuff in our country ... corruption is @ peak , nudity is a common thing in pakistan now, not letting US stop droning our muslim brothers ..and we are busy in watching vulgar dramas and listening rude music .... Life is much more than having just fun. All is happening due to our ownself ..Zardari is the punishment from Allah on our country.. If we understand this then things would definitely be improve ..and the matter of that fact is ..we are more hypocrite than being muslims ..

January 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mohammad Prophet

lol i am the their sponsor.
      how could i b not happy.
      they are doing things what i wrote.

January 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. swaleh khan

I was watching a cricket match and suddenly I felt that someone is shaking me and I was just totally confused and when I realized that it must be an earthquake and it was keep shaking me for another 10-15 seconds, I immediately switch the tv channel and it was their on the news. God bless us as we are already in lot of deep trouble and we dont want any more especially in form of natural disaster

January 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ankit kumar

we should have sympathy with those who dies in this earthquake – nature can take back everything it provided us in any ways!!!! – Thank God we are safe – i feel trimmers here in UHG gurgaon

January 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff

I'm sure if any locals are killed it will be Alah's will. I wonder if it was his will that people set themselves on fire this week too......

January 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. KC

Let Pakistan – along with the rest of the anus of the planet called the Middle East – fall into a hole and be gone.

Allah be praised for THAT!

January 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mohammad Prophet

then ur ppl will b d only bad ppl left in d world

January 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

People like you are the ones that make me think if it weren't for Islam, Christians would be taking ALL The heat, specially since they have Child Molesters preaching. So you should just shut up, crawl back into your hole and need to shut up.

January 18, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • KC

@Ian – don't even get me started on the Christians. Fact is, organized religion in ANY form is a farce. More wars have been fought, more blood shed in the name of God (whichever one, doesn't matter) than for any other reason. Muslims are just the evil of the day. Besides, if you're a Christian, you're fooling yourself. Seriously, any religion where MONEY is involved is tainted anyway.

January 18, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • walid

@KC i think the only anus is people like you.
      @ Ian well said

January 18, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • KC

@walid – You have a right to your opinion, but I'm real sure that you're in the minority here. These are the same people that shelter terrorists within their borders, and then claim that they're helping get rid of terrorism. The rest of the middle east is even worse – Iran spews hate at everyone non-muslim, and preaches the destruction of ALL. Yeah...that's the type of guy I want walking my planet. Same with Iraqis, same with Saudis, same with Jordanians. The whole area needs to be either carpet bombed into the stone age, or turned into the world's first lake of glass. The rest of the world might then find peace.

January 18, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ankit kumar

its terrific – we really afraid

January 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |