Major earthquake strikes southwestern Pakistan
January 18th, 2011

Major earthquake strikes southwestern Pakistan

[Updated at 4:47 p.m. ET] An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.2 struck
Wednesday morning in a remote area of southwestern Pakistan, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The earthquake occurred at 1:23 a.m. (3:23 p.m. Tuesday ET) at a depth of 84 kilometers (52 miles). It was centered 45 kilometers (28 miles) west of Dalbandin; 255 kilometers (158 miles) west of Kalat; 310 kilometers (192 miles) east-southeast of Zahedan, Iran; and 1,020 kilometers (633 miles) west-southwest of Islamabad, Pakistan, the USGS said on its website.

USGS initially reported the quake at 7.4. Quakes of 7.0 to 7.9 are classified as major; anything over 8.0 is classified as great.

Did you feel the quake? Share stories, photos and videos

Post by:
Filed under: Pakistan
  1. allah nawaz khaskheli

MAY ALMIGHTY ALLAH PLACE THE HUMANITY SAFE FROM THIS DISAUSTER...AAMEEN

January 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. pick a boo

we i guess the USA new gizmo in space worked pretty well.

January 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. John

I would like to know if there is great damage like what happened in Haiti?

January 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 007

Just the way I like it... shaken, not stirred!

January 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. a slozomby

remember women with loose morals cause earthquakes.

January 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. NOVA kid

so my guts tellin me bin ladens dead... and has been for 8 years or so. can we have our freedoms back now? sadly my gut isnt so opimistic on that one

January 18, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mohit

I Welcome more Earthquakes like this even 12.90 ricter Scale

January 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. abdullah

And yo this to Max who i'm also guessing is very uneducated, we spend US Aid money on nukes, gd job man, because i'm sure the US government doesn't monitor where they're money goes, and to be honest i can say the same to you guys, your country is heavly in debt, had to take charity for Saudi Arabia when the flood in New Orleans happened, and you guys still to decide to spend about 18 billion dollars on each air show, let alone supplying Israel with Jets and missile worth 20 billion dollars each time u decide to help them out, and even if your right before pointing out peoples mistakes and making insensitive comments, you can start out with yourself.

January 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Neeru

I live in sharjah UAE n I felt tremor for a sec when I was sitting n saw my lamp also dangled a bit.soon after that it was in news.Hope its calm n safe everywhere.

January 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. blahh

karma's a bi!@# ain't it, pakistan? stop sheltering bin laden.

January 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jarhead613

Jeez. 7.4 earthquake!. I hope and pray that all over there are OK. These are not just Muslims. These are innocent women, men, and children.

January 18, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Prophet

H.A.A.R.P

January 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Morbo

The humans are becoming adept at using their new weapon. Muhuhahahaha! Morbo demands comments!

January 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Anirudh bishnoi

Btw just noticed.....the earthquake hit Haiti around exactly this time last year.... Goosebumpy stuff!... 2012 around the corner anyone?

January 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sharang

January 18, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jerry

I felt it here in Kandahar, Afghanistan also as I am a civilian who works nightshift and thought there was something wrong with my chair but looked at the other guy who works with me and he asked me did I feel that and I said yes. We have a swinging door in are office and were just watching it go back and forth. This went on for about 5-10 minutes

January 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |