Police: 2 teens shot at California high school
Police said two teens were taken to a hospital, including a girl who was in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the head.
January 18th, 2011

Police: 2 teens shot at California high school

[Updated at 4:05 p.m.] A suspect in an apparently accidental shooting at
Gardena High School in California has been caught and handcuffed by police, according to footage aired by CNN affiliate KTLA shortly before noon PT.

"The student in custody was the student involved in this morning's shooting," Robert Alaniz, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Unified School District, told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS.

Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Patrick Gannon told reporters that the shooting appeared to be accidental. A student brought the gun to school in a backpack, and when the student set the backpack on a desk the gun discharged, wounding two students, he said.

A 15-year-old girl was in critical condition with a head wound, and a 15-year-old boy was in stable condition with a neck wound, Gannon said.

Are you there? Share your images

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • U.S.
  1. melton

What a buch of racist homic teabagger haters here on this site!

January 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SAM DACOSTA

"Prepaidlegalguy" – You must be the biggest IDIOT the Laker's have as a fan. Why use this tragic time and event to hail up the Laker's? I'm sure Kobe and the team are remorseful and sorry for the shooting. They have children and feel the pain of losing a life, or hurt coming to them. Ask Lamar what's it like to loose a child. Get a life. God never taught you to not show compassion to those in need?

January 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Goddog

Chris... "What I would like to see are mandatory safety and training classes so that more people at least know about safe gun usage and storage." I think that this statement is important. I am a Democrat but I own weapons, as I know allot do. I own them for personal and family protection. I refuse to be put into a position to have to cower in a corner defenseless and pray that the police will show up in time, if I could get to the phone at all. I am also for concealed cary. My right to defent myself and family should extend beyond my front door. However, the tests you have to take, in California at least, ... know how to load, unload, etc... and knowing the gun laws is a joke. My 8 year old could pass these. I beleive that professional training should be mandatory and refresher classes/tests should be implemeneted as well. The truth is that no matter what laws we create, the "bad guys" are still going to kill with illegal guns and the "good guys" are still going to own theirs. Let's take a realistic approach. Education is always a good start.

January 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. crawbar

It reminds me a quote from "Chicago" where one one of the women who killed her husband or lover said:" I gave hime a warning shot.... 8 times... and all in his head.."

January 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. TJ

This just in.....Baby killed in drive-by shooting.

Oh wait, no one cares about that...

Carry on.

January 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugo

I care. Where? Do you have a URL?

January 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Carrie

"A shooting that injured two people at a high school in Gardena, California, on Tuesday was accidental." Was ACCIDENTAL what does that mean??

January 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. melton

This guy was racist teabagging homic hater gun lover like all the right wing nuts!

January 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • crawbar

No he was a liberal and that is why the shooting is called accidental.

January 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elijah

People like you need to get a life. All the story said was that it was a kid with a gun in his backpack that accidentally went off. Where do you get racist, right wing, or homic hater from???? You hear one negative thing about someone and all of a sudden he is the epitome of everything you are against. How about you be a little more open minded next time and get the facts before you judge someone.

January 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Justin

Well played rambo...well played

January 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rob

SIMPLE FACTS for SIMPLE MINDS
    Strictest Gun Control States – Illinois, New York, New Jersey
    Highest Crime Rates – Illinois, New York, New Jersey

Affect of Banning guns in England? Violent crime 75% Higher than before.

Other Countries/Leaders that have banned guns in the past century – USSR/Stalin, Germany/Hitler and other Tyrannical governments.
    Number of subjects (Only an "armed people" are considered citizens, unarmend are considered "subjects) slaughtered by governments that banned guns. MILLIONS.

Getting the picture?

January 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • OldArmyVet

Places where gun laws are lax and everyone has one:

Afghanistan
      Somalia
      ...

January 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Um, no. http://www.walletpop.com/2010/04/05/most-dangerous-states-crime-rankings-for-2010/
      Illinois, New York, New Jersey aren't even in the top 15!

January 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ange

The problem is not the gun control it is those few law abiding liscense carrying people who are able to buy the the assault weapons and then traffick them to these urban areas. Tell me why a person can go and buy assualt weapons when you are not a soldier that is Ass backward. Gun laws fine to buy A gun no need to buy more than one. I think there should be a gun trafficking task force tracking anyone who buys more than one gun and especially if they buy an assault weapon. Because none of these gang members are going to these gun shows buying these guns!!

January 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gandalla test

Gandalla

January 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. workinman10

all you bleeding harts lets be liberal and ban guns because they hurt people and then vote for abortion and kill babies. Is there something wrong with this picture?

January 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • workinman10

Yes and No still it dont make sense

January 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • star555

duh

January 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ange

If you are not supporting the right to abort are you going to then complain when you have to feed all those unwanted children who will be placed in state care or even end up in a disfunctional family which should not have any kids in the first place. The key to the abortion deal is prevention but if women do want to abort knowing that there is no other alternative then so be it.

How many children have you offered to take care of since you suupport non-abortions?

January 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ModernEarthling

Some years ago I was at a Christmas Day gathering with my inlaws. There was a lot of Jesus and a lot of beer. A weird combination; but then it got weirder. My brother-in-law, drunk by this time, wanted to show us all his guns. He came out of a back bedroom, opened a big duffle bag, and started laying out all his guns and rifles on the carpet, just next to the Christmas tree. He exhibited each weapon, showed us boxes of ammo, all while drinking more beer. Most of us were in shock as there were kids around; lots of kids. Some of the parents took the kids outside and asked that he put the guns away, "It's Christmas!" they said. Then he told us some jokes with the "N" word and more jokes about shooting "cans." (It's a sick joke, but I've heard it often enough through the years by NRA fanatics.) People, this is the REAL NRA member-gun-owner-of-America. I swear, everything I wrote is true. He bumper sticker read, "Charlton Heston is my President." So sad.

January 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • pete

I'm in the NRA and know several people that are also in the NRA. Nobody I know does crap like that. Your relative certainly isn't a typical NRA member, just white trash.

January 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheep Dog

So only drunk racists own guns? Ha, you can't fix stupid.

January 18, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • ModernEarthling

As I mentioned in another post, most NRA members are Born Again Christians. Why is that? How do guns and Jesus go together?

January 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesterjim

To re-iterate a few points for ModernEarthling.
      A – I am not an NRA member, I am a Police Officer.
      B – I am an Atheist. Not a born a again Christian.
      C – I am a DEMOCRAT – not a REPUBLICAN or TEA Pee-er
      You clearly are using a broad brush to paint genralities wherever you see fit.This is validated by your obvious lack of ability to be objective and clearly you have an outright hatred of folks who use/own guns.

January 18, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • ModernEarthling

@Jester Jim: First of all I did NOT write that ALL NRA members are Christian, only that MOST are; and I think most would agree. It's also quite apparent that MOST (not ALL, but most) NRA members are Republican. I never made any mention of this fact, but you alluded to it in your rebuttal. My point is and has been that your ARGUMENT is not very solid. Yes, there are liberal democrats who own guns (Sean Penn, for one), but again, that's not what I wrote. I have no hatred for gun owners, I have a concern, as many Americans do, that there are too many guns and it's much too easy to buy guns and ammo. I think this is a legitimate concern. Comparing guns to Chicken Nuggets is absurd; this can't be denied. Again, a weak argument.

January 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • john121

Gun owning liberal, right here.

January 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • AD

@ModernEarthling
      >>People, this is the REAL NRA member-gun-owner-of-America. I swear, everything I wrote is true. He bumper sticker read, "Charlton Heston is my President." So sad.

Considering you just made those statistics up, have no references or facts backing up what you are saying, and since you swore, Im sure we all will take your word that most if not all NRA members/gun owners are republican christians. I happen to be neither, yet own guns, an anomaly to your statistics I guess.

January 18, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. pete

FWIW – Murder is illegal and that hasn't stopped murder.

January 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • crawbar

I should add the same about drugs.
      People cannot understand that guns do not kill, people kill. You can make guns illegal, people will find other ways to kill and, they will be getting guns on a black market anyway.

January 18, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jesterjim

The problem with guns, car's, knives, zip ties, duct tape is not the item iteself but the one who weilds the item. PERIOD. You say guns kill people? I say Chicken McNuggets kill people. Takes longer but has the same effect. Education tells me not to eat so many else I will die froma heart attack. Common sense also tells me my guns stay at home, not in school. Only ignorance and lack of good parenting and common sense cries fowl. Deal with your stupidity yourself and don't inlfict your will upon others who are responsble.

January 18, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • ModernEarthling

And yet another increasingly stupid argument from the NRA representatives on this comment board. First there was the guy who tried to convince us that plastics bags are used to murder 14,930 people each year in America, so guns aren't really so bad. Now this guy seriously believes Chicken Nuggets are as deadly as bullets. How many people would have been taken to the hospital at this school today if the attacker had hurled Chicken Nuggets at them? How many people in AZ would have been killed or injured had the mentally ill kid hurled Chicken Nuggets at them? "Y'all's" should think of something a little better than plastic bags and Chicken Nuggets; you're not helping your side at all.

January 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesterjim

@Modernearthling. – Not sure why you think I am an NRA member. I'll try not to take offense to your un-informed statement as as well as calling me stupid. Just becasue I have a gun does not mean I am an NRA member...just a Police officer doing his duty. I forgive you. It is my opinion so if you think I am trying to garner favor with the NRA, go back home. I also spoke of cars. Do I work for GM? No...and yes, McNuggets, no I do not work at McDonald's. It is a valid viewpoint expressing the lack of personal control and poor judgement folks have using in general. I GUARENTEE that McNuggets WILL have KILLED more folks over time than that yoyo did in Tucson. If you cal 911 when I am on duty, don't worry. I will still come to your un-informed aid.

January 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • ModernEarthling

@JesterJim, I did not call YOU stupid, I called your argument stupid and I stand by my statement. If you're going to use Chicken Nuggets as an argument you're not helping your "gun owner" cause. Again, I will repeat, how many injured would have been taken to the hospital if the attacker had hurled Chicken Nuggets at them?

January 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • wisconsinboy

@jesterjim you still compared chicken nuggets to guns which makes your argument extremely idiotic, regardless if you are NRA or not, cop or not.

January 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • john121

Comparing two things does not make an argument idiotic, you idiot. The only thing he said they have in common is that both CAN kill people. Which, by the way, is a fact. He was making a point, that you are obviously too close-minded to catch.

January 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • john121

modernearthling, you are missing Jim's point. So I'll try to break it down for you. If someone lacks judgement with regards to a gun, someone can/will die. If someone lacks judgement with regards to eating chicken nuggets, someone also can/will die. Does that make sense to you?

January 18, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • ModernEarthling

My last post on this absurd comparison. If the best argument you can make in support of gun ownership is to compare guns to Chicken Nuggets, you've long lost your argument. No person in his/her right mind would support your gun owner cause if this is the best you can come up with. If you cannot so clearly see the absurdity in comparing Chicken Nuggets to guns, and if you have to stretch it to the brink of uselessness, then good luck to you. You will not find much support from anyone who can think critically. You can dance around a stupid argument all you want, all day long, but it remains a useless and stupid argument just the same. It would benefit you and your cause to go back to the table and think of something better than Chicken Nuggets.

January 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • RN

I know many people who eat Chicken Nuggets and lead long and happy lives. I have also known small children who found dad's /uncle's gun and been rushed to a hospital. Chicken Nuggets take a long time and many choices if you are attempting suicide by C Nugget. A gun is used in the heat of the moment when people are angry or upset and not a lot of thought goes into the decision to pull that trigger. The consequences are much more extreme – you are dead.
      I try to stay away from the gun owners and those who might be carrying- I see it as a way to cull the herd.

January 19, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • john121

Modernearthling: Uhh... last I checked, we ARE winning the argument because they're still legal, you idiot.

January 19, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Third3y3

For many law abiding citizens guns serve a functionality for the recreational sport of target shooting. A responsible who practices strict gun safety at all times (including not letting anyone have access to them who is not supposed too, ie. the student) can use a gun without the intent of ever using it against another human being. I never even hear guns used solely as recreational sport ever considered amongst advocates for gun control (especially those who want them banned out right). I have been participating in this sport for 25 years. I have practiced strict safety and responsibility and (believe it or not) nothing terrible has ever happened. Banning guns actually increases gun related crime. Just look at Australia.

January 18, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • OldArmyVet

Not controlling them is dangerous, too.

Look at Afghanistan.