Police: 2 teens shot at California high school
Police said two teens were taken to a hospital, including a girl who was in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the head.
January 18th, 2011

Police: 2 teens shot at California high school

[Updated at 4:05 p.m.] A suspect in an apparently accidental shooting at
Gardena High School in California has been caught and handcuffed by police, according to footage aired by CNN affiliate KTLA shortly before noon PT.

"The student in custody was the student involved in this morning's shooting," Robert Alaniz, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Unified School District, told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS.

Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Patrick Gannon told reporters that the shooting appeared to be accidental. A student brought the gun to school in a backpack, and when the student set the backpack on a desk the gun discharged, wounding two students, he said.

A 15-year-old girl was in critical condition with a head wound, and a 15-year-old boy was in stable condition with a neck wound, Gannon said.

Are you there? Share your images

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • U.S.
  1. Jareder

"The student brought the gun to school in a backpack"

This is no accident, this is outright stupidity. There is a very distinct different between an accident and stupidity. What I don't understand is how these worthless pieces of life are even allowed to grace this earth when their common sense and IQ would rival that of a dung beetle.

Enough of the shootings already, make an example out of someone, a very brutal example so your average person will think twice before doing something so beyond stupid as

"bringing a gun to school in a backpack"

January 18, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sean

I'm 22, own a gun, my stepfather owns guns my grandfather owns guns, to the people that say owning them/ having them around the house is a bad example, you are all ignorant, the only way its a bad example is if you treat them like toys instead of a firearm, I know for a fact that if I were to leave my gun unlocked and in the open, that it wouldn't be a problem for my 10 year old brother to be around, we have taught him the importance of gun safety and how to be responsible with/ around them, the most he would do would be putting my locks on it, putting it in its case and putting it in my room. But then again a little common sense goes a long way in this society

January 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • A.J.L.

I think firearms education is really the key. If there is a gun in the household, everyone should be taught firearms safety.

January 18, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • yeti37

@AJL

you're right. ironically, the best place to teach it is in the schools.

January 18, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ken here, chicago,il

Mexico has the toughest gun laws in the world. Innocent kids, adults, mayors, cops, other politicians are shot by criminals with guns! Criminals don't obey the law. Drugs are illegal in the US and lots of people get them! Guns are the same way. Now the root cause is the drugs! Eliminate the use of mind altering drugs and shootings will go down. How about the death penalty for drug use? Or how about protecting your family from drug users with lethal force be legal? I like the latter. Don't let any drug users near my family!

January 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. WHODATHUNKIT

I HAVE A GUN AT HOME, CAR AND PURSE.....I LIVE IN NEW ORLEANS...NUFF SAID

January 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • nora ruggles

You go girl! I thunk it with you!

January 20, 2011 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. Samuel Adams

When they took the 4th Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
    When they took the 6th Amendment, I was quiet because I am innocent.
    When they took the 2nd Amendment, I was quiet because I don't own a gun.
    Now they have taken the 1st Amendment, and I can only be quiet.
    – Lyle Myhr

January 18, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • thiamia

SOOOO TRUE. Our rights keep eroding because their are so many people that want more laws & more laws.. Police have their hands full as it is. And most of these "accidents" really are things that need to be taught at home.Things in life that are right & wrong.

January 18, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. WHODATHUNKIT

AGAIN CNN....I HAVE 3 GUNS...ONE @ HOME, ONE IN MY PURSE AND ONE IN MY CAR....I LIVE IN NEW ORLEANS
    NUFF SAID

January 18, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dave1949

I think we should arm everyone who likes Glenn Beck!

January 18, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dave1949

I think everyone who likes Glenn Beck should be given a handgun to "protect" America.

January 18, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Red33

Many people on this post are arguing over the different uses of guns, different types of guns, arguing the Amendments, etc. The issue is that a kid took a gun into school, in his backpack, sat it down and accidentally shot two of his classmates. For a minor, i believe he should be punished as well as his parents, his parents for inadiquate gun control and safety. If it were an adult, if the gun went off "by accident" or not, he/she would be tried for two accounts of attempted man-slauter.

And for the folks bickering at each other over the Amendments, if you have an issue with one or some of them, then write your congress man or woman. That's their job. And if you dont agree with what they are doing, then why dont you try to run for office. Thats the whole idea behind our system. You elected them, so stop complaining to other people, you got an issue go to the source.

January 18, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Admonition

I'm Leary of them calling it an accident, why was it caulked and ready to go!? it's more like conspired carelessness!, who ever is dismissing this as an accident is a fool. hey fool sometimes foolish people conspire their foolishness to hurt or kill others. fire who ever is calling this an accident cause regardless its conspired and calculated by an aloof idiot that just don't care and the punishment should be no different then as if it was discharged from his own hand!.

January 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. A CNN Reader

Just so all you liberal gun haters are aware, I am going out tomorrow first thing and purchase as much ammo as I can for the weapons I own. Then I will be going to the gun show coming up and buying all I can... Someone's going to have to protect your butts, and I sure want to be prepared....

January 18, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bob

Well, at least this time, it wasn't a Glock.

January 18, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sh3llz

Im not surprised this kid would be fascinated by guns... Look at the games we let them play!

HALO
    WORLD OF WARCRAFT
    CALL OF DUTY WORLD AT WAR.

YOUR KIDS WILL CONTINUE TO DO THESE THINGS AS LONG AS YOU ALLOW THEM TO FEED THIER MINDS ON THINGS THAT GLORIFY WAR AND KILLING.

January 18, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jon Doe

We Americans are just dem ignorant and stupid because of freedom

January 18, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |