Police: 2 teens shot at California high school
Police said two teens were taken to a hospital, including a girl who was in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the head.
January 18th, 2011

Police: 2 teens shot at California high school

[Updated at 4:05 p.m.] A suspect in an apparently accidental shooting at
Gardena High School in California has been caught and handcuffed by police, according to footage aired by CNN affiliate KTLA shortly before noon PT.

"The student in custody was the student involved in this morning's shooting," Robert Alaniz, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Unified School District, told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS.

Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Patrick Gannon told reporters that the shooting appeared to be accidental. A student brought the gun to school in a backpack, and when the student set the backpack on a desk the gun discharged, wounding two students, he said.

A 15-year-old girl was in critical condition with a head wound, and a 15-year-old boy was in stable condition with a neck wound, Gannon said.

Are you there? Share your images

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • U.S.
  1. Jason M

OLDARMYVET – I agree with the person who says you are only telling a story about your singular experience. To imply that a gun owner is not capable of defending themselves/family is the "asinine" statement.

And to ROBERT BARNETT – The most ignorant statement in your comment is definitely this sentence..."We all realize that the vast majority of hunters are of no threat, are highly trained and should be allowed to participate in their pastime." There are multiple legitimate cases of self defense uses of handguns/long guns EVERY day in America, if you do not believe me then you need to do your homework.

THE SECOND AMENDMENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HUNTING RIGHTS!! The Second Amendment is 100% about protection for the people. People also have the right to decide not to defend themselves if they so choose, BUT dont try and tell others how to defend themselves simply because you are uneducated about the subject.

January 18, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mistylynn

There is no way to get guns from millions and millions of people.

January 18, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. s. Andrews

Has anybody noticed the violence that kids watch and play day in and day out. What they read and watch they think about. What you think about you do and what you do you become. Hense we have a VIOLENT generation of kids and we will be paying for it. Have you noticed that many children now have no consciense to keep them from acting on their thoughts.Not surprising,the military desensitizes the soldiers to kill. It does not come naturally to humans. We as a society are desensitizing our kids to kill. Has anybody else noticed this progression?? Just my observations!!

January 18, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dizzyd

@Pumbaa- re: your comment about Jesus telling his disciples to bring a sword – true, but he also said to Peter 'Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.' (Mt. 26:52), just read the Word.

January 18, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hfjkhsd

ur all f4gg07z rofl

January 18, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Catie

I would like to thank the ACLU and all the other liberal pieces of crud out there who took away corporal punishment in school, God in school, general discipline in school, morality and decency in school, expecting and demanding the best from a student in school, and most of all thanks to those who fought for abortion because once we taught society's children that life had zero value they couldnt think of anything else having any value, to include any rules whatsoever. How can we expect a decent law abiding society when they dont feel valued. They just feel 'lucky' they werent aborted. If life has no value, why would school, jobs, self, or anything else matter.

January 18, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • SpinnyLiberal

You're welcome? Dang, it seems like everything bad nowadays can be blamed on liberals (or vice versa). Know that exploding star in another galaxy? The Left's fault.

How about placing the blame where it belongs? On the kid who brought a loaded firearm to school (disturbing enough) with no safety (insult to injury)?

January 19, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jo

If only responsible parents and people kept guns, blah, blah, blah

January 18, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. People are Dangerous Idiots

So, I just burned up twenty minutes of my time I'll never get back reading some of the most absurd, off-topic rants having nothing to do with a school shooting. (Yes, I'm aware I'm compounding this waste of time by responding.)

Let's see if I have this straight. The article is about an accidental school shooting. However, we have as commentary: ban all wars, ban nukes, ban guns (now there is a surprise), ban cars, ban single parenthood, ban Christianity, ban prayer, ban public schools, ban the Left and ban the Right, I hate you because you defend yourself, I hate you because you don't let the police defend yourself, ban hunting, ban meat eating, ban meat hunting. And the absurdity prize goes to...wait for it...

"melton
    Your a teabagging racist homic hater repube!"

Melton, who singularly embodies the mean spiritedness everyone on this post is whining about toward each other. And by the way Melton, that's "you're or you are." Not the possessive "your."

I truly do love America and all its diversity! Who in the world can come against us when we are so skilled at fighting amongst ourselves. We all fight each other – all day, every day. We are really good at it. No wonder other countries are scared of us – and they SHOULD be! 🙂

January 18, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Catie

You cant take guns away from the law abiding citizens, then who is left, hellooo the criminals. I dont think the majority those in jail today for armed robbery got their gun the legal route. Can we please have some common sense here

January 18, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lou50

sorry, was it an "accident" he brought it to school? if it was this shooting is an accident! you carry a gun on purpose you plan to use it. now what was it? by the way that little girl may never be normal, put this clown in jail for good. then the next idiot that does this execute him. you wont have to do this often till the problem is fixed.

January 18, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Amy

It's not an accident when a gun is brought to school intentionally.

January 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Catie

I personally do not want a gun in my house, however, I do have a baseball bat at every door. However, I do the research and in the states that have the most gun owners they have the lowest crime. It stands to reason, a crook will not risk it if he knows there is a possibilty that the owner may be packing something bigger than what he's got. It is sad that we are at this point but we should have the right to responsibly carry a fire arm. That being said, I am a strong opponent of automatic weapons they are unnecessary for self-defense.

January 18, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Firearms are lawful in Canada

Please get your facts straight before stating misleading information in referenced to the firearm law and regulations of Canada. http://www.Canadiangunnutz.com

January 18, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lborgens

The guy in Tuscon was mentally ill. PERIOD. Bringing that situation into this event is pointless.

This is a tradegy, no question, but firearms don't discharge because you "dropped a backpack". Someone had thier finger on the trigger when the gun went off...

My kids knew gun saftey from the time the started talking: If you see a gun, "Don't touch, leave the area and tell an adult." I'm not afraid of one of my kids getting a hold of my firearm because, while at home, they are locked up. I'm concerned about when they are outside of my home with no adult supervision...

January 18, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jon

I pray for the wounded and worry about gun control. End of discussion.

January 18, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |