Police: 2 teens shot at California high school
Police said two teens were taken to a hospital, including a girl who was in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the head.
January 18th, 2011

Police: 2 teens shot at California high school

[Updated at 4:05 p.m.] A suspect in an apparently accidental shooting at
Gardena High School in California has been caught and handcuffed by police, according to footage aired by CNN affiliate KTLA shortly before noon PT.

"The student in custody was the student involved in this morning's shooting," Robert Alaniz, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Unified School District, told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS.

Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Patrick Gannon told reporters that the shooting appeared to be accidental. A student brought the gun to school in a backpack, and when the student set the backpack on a desk the gun discharged, wounding two students, he said.

A 15-year-old girl was in critical condition with a head wound, and a 15-year-old boy was in stable condition with a neck wound, Gannon said.

Are you there? Share your images

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • U.S.
  1. bigdoglv

California has some of the most strict gun laws in the country. See how well they work?

January 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mr60233

CNN are now reporting this is an accident....... I guess that makes it ok then....

January 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Prepaidlegalguy

I don't know what's for lunch, but a Carne Asada Burrito sounds really good!!!!!

January 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MileyC

Oh Yes. Ban all guns. Then make sure you ban cars. Cars kill people too. And alcohol. Don't forget about that.

January 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Barrabas

People are going to do crazy things with or without guns. If some nut blows something up with Mentos and Diet Coke the liberals will ban them too!

January 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • ModernEarthling

Mentos and Diet coke? You must be a chemical engineer; so so brilliant.

January 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ModernEarthling

Gun owners love their guns. They like showing them off and bragging about them; kind of like "exposing" themselves to the world. It makes them feel "manly." I'm reminded of a chimpanzee who finds a new toy. The similarities are astounding. Gun owners who like to stroke their guns are certainly under-evolved. They watch movies with shoot 'em up scenes and fantasize about using their tool in the same manner. Big tool, big hero. Wake up, you apes! This is the 21st century.

January 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joseph

The song indeed remains the same:

It just took one week!

January 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kwazywabbit

SARAH PALIN BE MOOSE HUNTIN!!

January 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Maggie

I wish this wouldn't be made into a discussion about gun control, politics, or anything like that. It's a tragedy, and can't people just mourn a loss without turning it into some huge debate?

January 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

What loss? No one died.

January 18, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Prepaidlegalguy

It all starts with the Parents.....period
    Arby's sounds really good too. Any suggestions?

January 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Prepaidlegalguy

o...and....GO LAKERS!!!

January 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wilson

f&*$ the lakers. people got shot, your a idiot. You cant make light of this situation, or any other shooting.

January 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seraph2011

Seriously? Really, people got shot. Kids are dying, and you decide to post "go LAKERS"??? Grow up.

January 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • alllen

aren't the lakers noted for "taking good shots"...makes sense

January 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Wilson, the story plainly shows that it wasn't a shooting.
      It was an accidental discharge of a firearm from when the bag that it was in was dropped.
      For the number of laws violated by that student, I need more fingers and toes to count them all.
      Especially as school children are NOT permitted firearms ANYWHERE in this nation. Federal minimum age for a rifle or shotgun is 18. For handgun, 21.
      Brought into school, several federal laws and heaven knows how many state laws are broken.

January 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prepaidlegalguy

F@$% the Lakers? Best team in the NBA! Yes I'm an idiot in God's Army and will serve him everyday and only he can say anything about this shooting...end judgement...so with that said...keep running all your mouths about something you know you don't give a hoot about (as long as it doesn't happen to my family...right???) soooo, someone said Arby's, I got some coupons, but I think mexican still. O if you want my opinion in which I know you don't want it but I'll give it anyway since it's a free country apparently, it doesn't matter if it was an accident or not, should not have a gun in school so he should be brought up on strict charges...attempted murder or murder if one of them dies.

January 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your mom

Kids didn't die at the school you morons they got shot.

January 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prepaidlegalguy

@Seraph2011 so you're not a Laker fan....bummer (not sure how my stupid comments make me need to grow up but ok, advice taken, but in the meantime...you and everybody elses "heated" conversation is doing NOTHING) ......just saying πŸ™‚

January 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prepaidlegalguy

@WILSON – umm Sir or Ma'am, I'm not the idiot who can't spell...for future reference, it's "you're" as in you are an idiot, not "your an idiot"... okay? I hope the victims are okay and God bless you too WILSON....GO LAKERS! <- that's called FREE SPEECH....just saying

January 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Senior in Pa

The student who brought this weapon on School property violated numerous Federal and California laws.
      Could additional laws help? Probably not. Except maybe one: ban backpacks in schools.
      Backpacks in Schools = easy concealment of not only guns but knives, bombs etc.
      In our local school district, a student was seriously injured by a student who brought a small machete to school in a backpack.

January 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • laker fan

Wilson

Learn to spell before you call someone an idiot. Shootings like this happen in and out the class in LA county on the regular, it gets old when the gov. just lets it fly. Hope the injured kids recover from this soon. Lakers all day!

January 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prepaidlegalguy

well said. We are actually taking action in our local community to help with school funds for local schools so we are doing something to help the community. It would be interesting to know what people are doing to help society that have such a problem with this incident now that it got publicity. Our military members are dying everyday, are we doing anything about it? But some kid brings a gun to school and two people are injured and I'm suppose to have a heated conversation with everybody on here. Your comments mean nothing!!!! You think the government is going to read "your" comments and change gun laws???? If you have such a problem with this, do your part and make sure your child is a good samaritan. I don't blame the kid....I blame the parents...just saying πŸ™‚

January 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prepaidlegalguy

soooooooo yeah, about those Lakers....Can you say 3-peat? For all those Lebron fans out there...still is not going to happen for you. Interesting how everybody calls him the King and Kobe has PRODUCED!!! Then I love when people tell me he is a ball hog and Lebron is NOT a ball hog, but then in the same sentence tell me that Lebron did not have the team in Cleveland to support him? WTH???? So they're telling me that Kobe does have the team to support him??? So does that mean he does pass the ball or is he a ball hog??? I don't get it. Anyway, every team has to have a star and then followers, get over it, if all the haters had Kobe on their team, they would love him too. I actually like Lebron and all the NBA players, I just like my Lakers the best! πŸ™‚ Just saying...GO LAKERS!!! and don't carry guns to school. If you want a better life, find a Pre Paid Legal rep near you πŸ™‚ just saying

January 18, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prepaidlegalguy

then you can afford to send your children to private schools that don't have the same issues πŸ™‚ just saying...

January 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prepaidlegalguy

ok so back to the two 15 year old kids and their families, FYI, my dumb comments have been meant for the idiots on here and in no way do I mean any disrepect for your kids. I am praying right after this message for their quick recovery and back with their families and will be interested in how the punishment is going to come out with this irresponsible child who brought the gun and his irresponsible parents for not bringing him up in a better home. Keep your prayers up for our service women in the military and our police officer and fire department personnel that put their lives on the line everyday! God Bless you guys too! I'm done for today, nice arguing with all you people, cya tomm! GO LAKERS!!! Just saying..

January 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. AndYourPoint

Oh my God! 14,930 people died of suffocation in the US in 2007. We have to get plastic bags, carbon monoxide and water off the streets!! 44,000 people also died in car wrecks in 2007. We have to ban the automobile!

What parent in their right mind would allow their kid to have a plastic bag or an automobile??!!

January 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

HA! That's just "natural selection" in action!

January 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • plastic bags and automobile

I agree, those two should be banned

anything else smarty pants?

January 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • ModernEarthling

Are you implying that 14,900 people were intentionally murdered by suffocation? Are you implying that 44,000 people were murdered by automobile? Really?

January 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wakeup

This statement is so ignorant its hard to type a response. Its like saying "well all these things are killing people what 1 more" and adding heroine to the water supply....

January 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • AndYourPoint

Nope...just saying. And does every gun intentionally kill someone?

January 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • kydora

well people dont murder others with plastic bags, but I am for gun control, tighter control, if the government can control how my ketchup is produced and in what kind of bottle, then why cant they put a tighter control on something that actually matters to most. stop trying to compare guns to plastic bags, cars, drugs, etc. lets look at the big picture. I feel most who cry about gun control, most dont even have guns. come on, stricter control is all that is asked for. simple. congress pays more attention to cable tv prices than to gun control.

January 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • AndYourPoint

Y'all's points are ridiculous. How many people die unintentionally each year from cigarettes....how many people die each year from alcohol....how many people die each year from trans fats?? Those are all legal yet they kill people at a 20x higher rate than guns do.

January 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • AndYourPoint

I just want one person to tell me what stricter gun control will do....PLEASE....one person! We've outlawed and banned drugs....how's that working out? We outlaw illegal aliens....how's that working out? We only let those over 21 drink alcohol...that completely fixes everything.

January 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • mycatsbreathsmellslikecatfood

murdered by a car is no less ignorant than saying murdered by a gun? they both require human interaction in order to be deadly.

January 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric of Reseda

The logic of this argument does NOT help the 2nd Amendment right supporters, like myself. FIRST, moron, plastic bags, automobiles are essentials in day-to-day life, and carbon monoxide and water are vital to life. Assault weapons meet neither of those criteria....

January 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sari

I wouldn't allow my kid to have an automobile. He's four, and it's dangerous.

January 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

I don't think we need stricter controls nearly as much as mandatory gun training and education for owners. You take a gun class and you're allowed to buy a certain type of firearm. We only trust people to drive after they've received adequate training. Guns shouldn't be different.

January 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • AndYourPoint

My point is this- we have outlawed and tried to control everything that's harmful and could result in bodily injury. Outlwaing and controlling does not help the problem. It's ineffective. People who follow the law will follow the law. People who don't follow the law will get their hands on whatever they want regardless whether it be a gun, drugs, alcohol, etc..

January 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • AndYourPoint

Great point, Rob. In order to get my concealed carry permit I had to attend a class. I think classes and training should be mandatory before a person can purchase a firearm. Even with such safeguards in place, those with no respect for the law will still obtain guns and use them inappropriately if they choose.

January 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Don't be silly! ONE ban could easily fix ALL these problems.
      ALL murders have one thing in common. People.
      Ban people!

January 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • ModernEarthling

@ AndYourPoint: "Y'all's" Really? If you're attempting to make an argument for the 2nd Amendment supporters, you're as convincing as Palin saying "don't retreat, reload" is a standard campaign phrase. Good grief, man. If you want to help your cause, you'd best not say anything. I'm all for an intelligent argument or debate, but you just make your side look foolish.

January 18, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • AndYourPoint

Really? That's all you have? You can pick on the fact that I say "y'all" as opposed to "you all"? I'm from the south and that's how I talk....deal with it or get back on 95 and head north.

–pronoun Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S.
      (used in direct address to two or more persons, or to one person who represents a family, organization, etc.)

January 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • groovygoober

Yep yourpoint, just ask a libtard. Guns kill people...apparently they just jump up, of their own accord and start shooting.

I guess I need to return all of mine, apparently they're defective. They haven't killed a person in all the years I've owned them.

January 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • mycatsbreathsmellslikecatfood

modern earthling, you obviously havent been to the south...

its sad that you missed the message to pick apart a perfectly grammatical statement.

youre definitely the type that goes to the forest and misses the trees

January 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • jb

applause to AndYourPoint for making the most sense on this article. (im not being sarcastic)

Hold the person accountable for his/her actions plain and simple. And if you want to be anti-gun then guess what, start with tobacco, alcohol, and fast food places first they are a way bigger problem.

January 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • ModernEarthling

@Andyourpoint: My point was made very clear; it was the third response to your very weak argument. If you missed it I'll repeat: Are you implying that 14,930 people were murdered by plastic bags in America last year? Are you implying that 44,000 people were intentionally killed by automobiles in America last year? Do you have references? If you don't understand my post about your use of the word, "Y'all's" as the first world to begin a post, I'll explain. There is a stereotype of the Southern NRA member being under-educated and semi-illiterate. When you use words like "Y'all's" to explain your argument, you are "shooting yourself in the foot." In other words, you're not helping your cause, you're hindering it.

January 18, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. hot1too

Gun control.....period!!!

January 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

Absolutely not, period.

I will win this one, end of story.

January 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • andrew

I'm sure he was legally carring that gun! It is not possible to take 100% of guns off the streets all we can do is take them from law abiding citizens!

January 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kallen

End of your freedom as an American Citizen.... period!!!

January 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Let's review a few FACTS, mr Gun Control:
      First, it's illegal to bring a firearm into a school, per FEDERAL LAW. So, gun control won't help against a scofflaw.
      Second, a school student is guaranteed to be under 21, hence it's illegal to possess or own a handgun. Gun control won't work against a scofflaw that is a CRIMINAL.
      Third, the student is an idiot that put a LOADED firearm into a bag. Gun control won't help against a scofflaw, criminal, idiot.
      So, you'd leave the REST of us defenseless against the scofflaw, criminal idiots.
      That is POSITIVELY BRILLIANT! What next? When knife deaths go up, we'll amputate the hands of the populace?

January 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • groovygoober

Gun Control – The ability to hit what you are aiming at.

January 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • jb

You are ignorant...period

January 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sheri

Why can't all of you stop showing your ignorance on here and show some intelligence and compassion?

January 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ModernEarthling

Put God back in schools so everyone can pray like a Christian. Make everyone carry a gun so we can all protect ourselves. Eliminate Satan's "theory of evolution" so we can all be Christian again and take America back. Quarantine all gays so we can stop the spread of disease. Vote Sarah Palin for President in 2012!

January 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB

I thought we left people like you back in the middle ages.

January 18, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • hot1too

Wow you need help!!!

January 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • kydora

If ignorance is bliss, this would make you one of the happiest people on earth!

January 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • drgonzo

lol

January 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • make listening to the girl group 'The Bangles' compulsory

then we can all 'walk like an Egyptian'

January 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • ModernEarthling

I was being sarcastic, but as I was writing this bit of sarcasm it occurred to me, there are Palin supporters who believe this "party platform" 100% – in the 21st Century. Now that's scary! So I left is as a "serious" post. Only the guy who wrote LOL got it; I think.

January 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prepaidlegalguy

know what's funny, ur the smartest person on here. With God, all things are possible! Guarantee all these gunman...arizona, gardena, columbine, etc... did not except God in there life....ok, so we're going to the little Mexican joint down the street...anybody want anything??????

January 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • The voice of reason

@Moderneartling, you are a moron! Go back to the Mormon compound you escaped from.

January 18, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I sure hope that's sarcasm.

January 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • la

at first i thought you were serious but as i kept reading i realized that you just had to be joking – then i saw your last post...haha good one

January 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • drgonzo

i figured it had to be a joke

January 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • xlrl

do you have a Christian preference? Catholics? Methodists? Baptists? any others? Is one better than the other?

January 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kallen

Modernearthling
      That is best comment I have read on here so far.. you have the most common sense out of most of these people

January 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wakeup

HA HA HA! this has to be ironic. Although people like this exist and are the downfall of the USA, As whole their literacy and income rate is to low for them to own computers and type a coherent statement on one.

January 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • mortalc01l

ModernEarthling.. VERY funny post... The trouble is that there are people that actually think that way.

January 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnMcLaugh

BAN GUNS!!! DON'T BAN THEM!!! THIS IS WHITE PEOPLE'S FAULT!!! THIS IS BLACK PEOPLE'S FAULT!!! BAN GUNS!!! one hundred mexicans sneak through the border DON'T BAN THEM!!! BAN GUNS!!! πŸ˜€

January 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mychele

So . . . if we all are forced to become good Christians and Christianity (well also Islam and Judaism) says thou shalt not kill,
      why the hell would we all need to be carrying guns then?

January 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

"Like"! It's just too bad you had to explain it was sarcasm ...if only everyone thought it was ridiculous.

January 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugo

Exactly how does leading a captive audience to pray bring glory to God?

January 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • angryprophet

prepaidlegalguy: it's "accept" and "their" learn to spell mate, your ignorance is showing.

January 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • myklds

@The voice of (T)reason...You must be from Arkansas, your breathe severely pollu-tes the air there and caused all those (5,000) poor black birds to fall from the sky dead. So go away! you're toxic breathe might k!ll all of us here and I wish you'll stop breathing before it would caused more damage.

January 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • myklds

I'm quite amused of all the Atheist in this thread. It took for their fellow Atheist to confess to make them realised that he was Joking.

We are the smartest, most educated, most intelligent, rational, logical, scientific BLAAH BLAAHH BLAAHHH! That's what they have been bragging their whole life. How MISERABLE life they've got!

January 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prepaidlegalguy

@angryprophet
      u r so right, I am ignorant and it shows....you got me their or there, or they're, or who flipping cares...oh yeah you do. Hear ye all you dang foriegner's, my ignorance is showing because of my spelling and the angry prophet is schooling me! Sorry oh wise one, I am so sorry. Now with this life style and no job, I don't care how I spell things or what you think Sir or Ma'am. How's that for ignorance. BTW, you're probably at your job so you may want to get back to work since you're wasting your, I mean you're, I mean thier money working at that company you work for. God Bless you too! GO LAKERS!!!! Just saying....

January 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |