George Clooney says he contracted malaria in Sudan
During an interview with Piers Morgan, George Clooney said he contracted malaria in Sudan.
January 20th, 2011

George Clooney says he contracted malaria in Sudan

George Clooney contracted malaria while he was in Sudan during the recent election there, he told Piers Morgan during an interview scheduled to air Friday.

Clooney was in Sudan doing humanitarian work and watching elections on a historic referendum on independence for Southern Sudan.

"The truth of the matter is we are hoping it is one of many tools to continue to apply pressure, at the very least, to gather evidence that could be used at The Hague later if there are - if there are infringements or rules broken ... if anyone crosses across the border north or south," Clooney told Morgan.

It was during this recent work in Sudan that he contracted malaria. Malaria, which is spread by the bites of infected mosquitoes, can cause chills, flu-like symptoms, fever, vomiting, diarrhea and jaundice. It kills about 1 million people a year and is mostly limited to developing countries. Malaria has been nearly wiped out in the United States.

"I guess the mosquito in Juba looked at me and thought I was the bar," Clooney quipped.

While discussing the matter in a fairly jovial manner, Clooney said it was the second time he had gotten malaria.

"You don't think President Bashir has - has detached a detail of sickly, vengeful mosquitoes to target you whenever you arrive?" Morgan joked.

"Yeah," Clooney responded. "I think so."

Morgan broke the news in a tweet.

A few minutes later Morgan joked in another tweet abut Clooney's condition.

"Clooney malaria update: now have 24,563 offers to nurse him. But his rep says medication's worked and he's OK. Sorry, ladies," Morgan tweeted.

Piers Morgan's full interview with George Clooney and his father, Nick, will air Friday on CNN at 9 p.m. ET.

Clooney: 'Real excitement' for peace in Sudan

Video: Enough project aims to ease Sudan woes

Video: Clooney monitoring situation in Sudan

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

1. Brian, NJ

If they were allowed to use DDT, there would be no malaria. More people are dying from Malaria than would be adversely effected by the pesticide.

January 20, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ellis

Hey bill dont start with your stupid sayings

January 20, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bob

Don't want to bother reading a Clooney story......is he dead yet?

January 20, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Shannon

Some people take malaria shots or pills before going overseas as my friends did but I heard the medicine to protect them caused nightmares. Go figure.

January 20, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LmD

Too bad he didn't die.

January 20, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. rose helen militello

i read the comments because once in a great while someone says something that actually makes me lol,but most of the time you people can't even have an adult conversation without being hateful.if clooney wants to go to sudan and do something for the people there what the hell do you care,if you think he needs to stay here and spend his money then you spend your money and YOU do something,if you don't have enough money to spend then go work at the homeless shelter,maybe the pitiful people there might just give you a better outlook. as for you LmD maybe you need to help at the shelter also and take ellis with you

January 20, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carol A.

George's mom, Nina Clooney is ALIVE and WELL! It would be nice if you guys would take the time to *educate* yourselves a bit before you go posting stuff about people. Such a lack of respect!

January 20, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. splasher6

He's a a$$ hope it takes him to free healthcare state

January 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brian

I can't help but laugh hysterically at this story.

January 20, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mmmmm

Be well Gee....take your meds next time!

Now where is rueffnutts and camero I need a ride home...

January 20, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Captain_Colossal

no.. not clooney.. no.. NO... NOOOO!!!!

January 20, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jackie

Eyh I couldn't care more or less.

January 21, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  13. Teng Mawien Teng

Hi CNN staffs,
    I would like to wish brother George Clooney quick recovery and well because he is a hero. I person like him and the entire people of Aweil like him too. Teng from Aweil one of the state of S. Sudan

January 21, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John Fiddler

I'd be the first one to offer to nurse poor George- but as some have pointed out he should have been taking his prophylaxis. whenever I hear someone got malaria more than twice I conclude they fall into the 'not me' syndrome. Take your prophylaxis and you very, very probably will not get it. It's not a badge of honor! It's selfish and stupid.- I see many of my fellow medical NGO workers rationalize not taking the pills...they invariably fall sick and I think it's just pathetic. Especially as they are then immobilized and unable to work to help those less fortunate. You should be ashamed when you get malaria without prophylaxis- I have held and seen many children dead because of this disease. Bow your head Cluny, and pass the soap.

January 22, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. COL. BAT GUANO

"George Clooney asks, 'Why does it hurt when I pee?' NOT MALARIA!"

January 22, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |