Gotta Watch: fountain fumble; stinky jeans; Fox nixes Rivers; 'Conan' redux
A Reading, Pennsylvania, woman is upset that video of her falling into a mall fountain was posted online.
January 20th, 2011

Gotta Watch: fountain fumble; stinky jeans; Fox nixes Rivers; 'Conan' redux

Video makes a splash – The woman who was caught on camera falling into a mall fountain while texting isn't too happy. Here, she explains how mortified she was when she found out the video went viral on Youtube.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/01/20/am.fountain.lady.speaks.cnn"%5D

Rancid-wash jeans – If you've ever wondered how long you should go before washing your denim dungarees, this young man has your answer.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/01/20/exp.mxp.dirty.jeans.hln"%5D

Rivers 'the uninvited' – Comedienne Joan Rivers and her daughter Melissa are not thrilled about being "uninvited to Fox News' "Fox and Friends" because of a remark made about Sarah Palin.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2011/01/19/behar.joan.rivers.hln"%5D

'Conan' redux – We've got your Morning Cup of Conan iced down for an afternoon refresher. Enjoy!

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/01/20/conan.thrice.returns.tbs"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Gotta Watch
  1. Dindin

She should be sued for being stupid.

January 20, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Louis

Texting while walking, not bad. Falling into a fountain, good for a laugh. No doubt she texts while driving. Who would she sue when she got into an accident and killed someone? The company who manufactured her car, the people she killed because they were not watching what she was doing, or the police for not stopping her for texting. If this goes to trial, the judge should throw this out as a frivolous law suit. To quote Ben Franklin, "We are all born ignorant, it takes work to remain stupid."

January 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jen

I would have just laughed it off. That is something I would have done. I don't understand why she had to make a big deal about it. To me it looks like someone looking for the 15 min's of fame. You can talk about all the "what if's" but all she did was fall into water. Pretty funny stuff!!

January 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris A

I would own that mall if they released that video.

January 20, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Roger

Dexter your the Dumb one– It's the DemoCRAPS that wants something for nothing– handouts etc. NOT rep. Get a life loser. Your just scare the people are seeing the truth now lol

January 20, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Renee

It's thanks to people like this we have shows like America's Funniest Home Videos, etc.
    Seriously, if she is employed at the mall, she should have been somewhat familiar with the fountain/pool location. If she was THAT focused on texting, she should have stopped.
    That will be one story that entertains her family during the holidays for years to come.

January 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. GuerillaGorilla

So if I was in the mall, saw her texting and walking toward the fountain, pulled my cell out and just happened to catch her on video taking the plunge, and then laughed my @$$ off, then posted it on YouTube generating millions of hit would she try sueing me? Nope, cause she knows she wouldn't get Jack-diddly. She is a gold digger, whiner and ain imaature brat.

Next time you want to walk and text lady, do it somewhere useful... Like the middle of the interstate, or through a mine field.

January 20, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John D. Hanig

Before she has a viable lawsuit, she needs to have damage. She didn't look very damaged to me. She hopped right back out of the fountain with no apparent injury. I'd imagine she would have gotten a very different reaction if she had just laid there but no... she hopped right back up.

As for her humiliation: you can't identify her. We don't even know if the woman who stepped forward is really the one who fell in. And as far as that goes, what right to privacy are you to expect walking in a shopping mall? She needs to get over it.

Put me on her jury. I'd see that she got every penny she has coming to her.

January 20, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joe

WHO PUT THAT MALL RIGHT WHERE I WAS WALKING? AND DON'T SAY I'M A DUFUSS? I AM NOT STUPID AND I AM NOT CLUMSY AND I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR MY ACTIONS. AND...DADDY MADE ME DO IT!

January 20, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TennesseeTom

I agree, Jen.

CNN. How hypocritical!

You have this video of the lady tripping into the mall fountain, you promote it on your home page, and you have the gall to say that there was "no reason for this video to get out". Weak.

January 20, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tomcat

Did anyone check her pockets for coins? Don't you know her family is real proud of her.

January 20, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. richard

This Reading woman should be a poster child for outlawing cell phones and texting, at least when driving. People like this just don't know, or don't care, how annoying they are to others, and can be a danger to others. Most of these "conversations" surely can wait until they get home and make use of the good ole telephone!

January 20, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Keith

That "falling while texting" story is absolute BS. Am I the only one with a shred of critical thinking skills? This is clearly a fake fall. Take a closer look at when she actually hits the edge. It's just over knee high on her, yet she lifts her left leg up and over the edge as she "falls." Her left knee or foot should have hit the border, not gone over it. And walking that slow, did she really have that much momentum to fall forward like that? I can hold my phone right in front of my face and still have enough peripheral vision to see whats coming ahead of me and I'm blind in one eye. It's pathetic how the media is so desperate for stories that they're latching on to this without questoning its validity. This doesn't bode well for the future of this country when most people blindly accept as fact whatever is presented to them.

January 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. David

C'mon Man!!! I feel sorry for her too, but suing the mall? C'mon man!! If she got up and walked away she's obviously okay. That exonerates the mall security staff for not checking on her. She left too fast for them to respond anyway.

As far as putting in on youtube, no problem. if you don't want them to share the video with anyone then, a) don't do
    dumb$h!t and b) don't ask them to share the video of you getting pickpocketed or robbed. You can't have it both ways.

Think about this: The cameras are too far away to make out any detail so we can't really see her face, can we? Since she left right away, (obviously uninjured) how in the world did anyone ever find out she is the one who fell in the fountain? If you shoot yourself in the foot TWICE, don't expect a lot of sympathy from this world.

January 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. rboyd

SHE caused her fall and now SHE wants to sue..SHE says no guard came to her aid. The security guards are not supermen or flash gordon. When she fell, she got up quite fast. And, it seems to me the guards laughing at the footage was after the fact and not real time. That camera was up looking down at that area. Another point. No one knew her name. But since SHE wants to sue to make fast money, she decides to brings on the phony tears and say her name. SHE should have just kept her mouth shut and learned from that experience that this was just another reason why you should not text and walk at the same time. SHE did this to herself.

January 20, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • gpullman

Has anyone else noticed when she was walking toward the fountain right as she gets to it she LIFTS her leg to make it easier to go over the edge .

January 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |