Official: Two officers killed while serving federal warrant
Officers at a crime scene in Miami where two cops were shot while trying to serve a warrant.
January 20th, 2011

Official: Two officers killed while serving federal warrant

[Updated at 1:24 p.m.] A second officer has died in Miami following a shoot-out with a suspect wanted on a homicide warrant, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez said Thursday.

[Updated at 12:39 p.m.]
Miami-Dade police Commander Nancy Perez said at a news conference that one Miami-Dade police officer is dead, but the other is in surgery.

There were conflicting reports regarding the shooting of two officers who were trying to serve a warrant in Miami, Florida Thursday.

Earlier, an official said both officers had been killed.

WSVN: 2 officers shot and killed

[Posted at 12:16 p.m.] Two Miami police officers working for a federal task force were shot and killed while executing an arrest warrant in Miami Thursday morning, a federal law enforcement official said.

At least one person suspected of shooting the officers was also killed by police, the official said.

A third officer was wounded and was in stable condition in a hospital, the official said.

The slain officers were with the Miami-Dade Police Department.

- CNN's Susan Candiotti contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida
  1. Pat S

I hope it wasn't Horatio Caine!!

January 20, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. FatSean

2nd amendment remedy to an over-reaching Federal government?

January 20, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martha Stewart

Okay, who had "Teabagger Talking Points" in two posts? Come collect your winnings!

January 20, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doodlebug

"Teabagger", Martha? That's the thing about you libs. When you know you don't have a point you start calling people names.

January 20, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • NewsCommando

I have 10 to 1 that it is a illegal gun bought in the Black Market especially where the police officer got shot "Liberty City". Guns bought just like cocaine which it is bought in the black market. stopping gun is like trying to stop cocaine. cocaine is everywhere so guess what we do need guns to protect our self. Noone I mean NOOO one tells me or you how or who should tell us how to protect ourself or who should when no one is around. Bunch of Tree Huggers

January 20, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • FatSean

Since we can't stop people from murdering, should we just declare murder no longer a crime?

January 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • NewsCommando

So you're telling me you won't protect yourself or family even if its legal or illegal?

January 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Azrael

@Doodlebug Oh like the tea party and republicans dont use name calling *L*. You know I could even type that line with a straight face. I don't believe in the whole liberal or conservative thing but I know a lot of people do. However when you have a group like the Tea Party who I've heard spew nothing but pretty much hateful things how can you expect people not to pick on them. Besides the name makes it so easy.

January 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jevirs

you're worried about whether or not a fictional tv character was killed in this shooting? that was someone's son that was killed. that was a guy just out doing his job. show some respect.

January 20, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • butthenagain

What about the hundreds of innocent people a year that are killed or maimed by cops who get paid administrative leave and keep their jobs? where's your bleeding heart for them? He knew the risks when he started.

January 20, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Butthenagain.... "hundreds" killed or maimed by cops every year... It happens , but I can't buy into hundreds...and they ain't all innocent either

January 20, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • FatSean

Yes, the police officer was Just Following Orders.

January 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • O

Jim can't buy into "hundreds" b/c the victims (of police brutality) VERY rarely look like their name would be "Jim." And guilt or innocence is actually irrelevant. We're talking about life and death. someone guilty of a mere crime doesn't deserve to straight up die for it. There's a third of our governmental system designated for that.

January 20, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Butthenagain... you need some sources. Not paranoid persecution delusions.

January 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • YourPerspectiveIsTragic

This was a professional team, not a bunch of rookies. They were our FRIENDS. These were family men who died protecting the first amendment (and other) rights of you morons who get on here and joke about whether or not it was a TV character or some "innocent" drug dealer. I pray you will never see a day when some gang-banger is holding a gun to your temple and there is no officer around. However then maybe you will regret the way you bash the men and women who knowingly risk and sacrifice their lives for the citizens of this country.

January 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • butthenagain

Bill: www(.)drugwarrant.com/articles/drug-war-victim/

January 20, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • fed 123

right on.

January 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • RIP Miami Dade's Bravests

May God bless the fallen officers and their families and for ALL of those that wear the uniform with the utmost integrity. They make our streets safer Every single Day! My prayers goes out to them....

January 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Azrael

@YourPerspective. Totally agree with you

January 24, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ice-T

They probably were involved some illegal drugs trade.

January 20, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jevirs

you all watch way too much television... let me guess 'doodle' you probably figure these 'thug' cops were democrats, so they deserve it. you are all insane. a man died trying to do his job. just show the guy a little respect. you talk about calling names, you called a dead man a thug! think before you speak...

January 20, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jevirs

and Ice-T... are you really Ice-T or a weird guy living in his moms basement?

January 20, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mr. Davidson

IN Pittsburgh they don't even serve federal warrants w/o a swat team any more ,too many officers dead.

January 20, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bodikerc

This is the most voiolent city in the nation. Thats why im gjad the mother of my grandkids refuses tn move with my son to that area. So he can reconnect with his fathers side of the family. They had that right for the last 20 yrs. Im all for my son to go hes an adult now. But im glad my grandkids and their mom will not put themselves in dangers way. My prayers are with the famlies of the fallen officers for doing there job.

January 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. fortcountryclubleavenworth

yet another ex .mil related mafia? Its a cancer.

January 20, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Offof20

One day, there will be an incident @ your home or work or even a major car accident. You call 911 & guess what no one is there. Why? Because most of you & the rest of this country degrade & kill the only protection our cities have. You enjoy humiliating & stepping on someone who is down, killed for that matter. I wouldn't want to help someone like you. I wouldn't blame the police if they all decided to walk off the job. Why? Because they deserve better from you, from me, from all of us. If they have our backs; the least we can do is have there's. I really hope you never need help. You may not get it.

January 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • butthenagain

Offof20, You're are so misguided. You actually think that the police in this country are here to protect and serve? maybe in the old days... Now they are nothing but a bunch of corrupt "thugs" who use any chance they get to extort money out of "we the people". I don't doubt that certain individual officers do have good morals and really are trying to do a good job. But based on what I've seen from the majority of police, I'll have my own back.

January 20, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Good answer... and let's ask the people in Camden in a few months how things are going since 44% of the police force has just been laid off. And don't forget the fire departments either

January 20, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • In The House

I live in Philly, right over the bridge from Camden, NJ, and I can tell you, Camden is already a spot that NO ONE walks around in, unless you live there, or go to school at the Rutgers Campus. If people thought things were bad before, OMG, 40% less law enforcement?

That's anarchy! In fact, I doubt they'll have many students enrolling at that campus as much anymore. Everything outside of that campus and the river lofts is straight HOOD!!!

January 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • t50555f

Offof20 – I'd like to see you survive in a world without police. Your comments are disgusting and way off! There are some bad apples but most of our Police are good upstanding people. So you can go to some lawless third world country and try to live your life but I'll stay here and trust our law enforcement!

January 20, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • MalOz

I think Offof20 has been misread by someone.

January 24, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. djmc

Ice-t,if I could find you,the real you,i'd knock your teeth out of your head,or at least try to,regardless...doodle,your not as smart as you think you are, a smart person would wait for more details before they spoke out of turn.idiots.

January 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Fricsaid

I don't know what would be worse. Being a cop, or being a criminal. Neither one appears to have much of a future. I have 2 brothers that are police officers and they are just biting at the opportunity to start a new career. Way too much sacrifice for way too little compensation.

January 20, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. timm

could this be part of that big mob round-up?

January 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Name*joshua

Federal warrants should be handdled by proffesional swat team instead of regular officers.the states should stop sacrifizing officers just to save a dollar and we are the one that pay the bill so send a swat next time please...

January 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. What in the world

It is always offensive to read so much hate. I tend to think this forum is filled with people who have never been out of thier own county, or seen the world. I read this and realize that i may have my faults but look at the faults potrayed here. My prayers to anyone that loses a family member and especially Cops. I dont always agree with them either but a life is a life. Now crawl back where you came from negative ignent bloggers, your opinon doesnt count!

January 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |