Official: Two officers killed while serving federal warrant
Officers at a crime scene in Miami where two cops were shot while trying to serve a warrant.
January 20th, 2011

Official: Two officers killed while serving federal warrant

[Updated at 1:24 p.m.] A second officer has died in Miami following a shoot-out with a suspect wanted on a homicide warrant, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez said Thursday.

[Updated at 12:39 p.m.]
Miami-Dade police Commander Nancy Perez said at a news conference that one Miami-Dade police officer is dead, but the other is in surgery.

There were conflicting reports regarding the shooting of two officers who were trying to serve a warrant in Miami, Florida Thursday.

Earlier, an official said both officers had been killed.

WSVN: 2 officers shot and killed

[Posted at 12:16 p.m.] Two Miami police officers working for a federal task force were shot and killed while executing an arrest warrant in Miami Thursday morning, a federal law enforcement official said.

At least one person suspected of shooting the officers was also killed by police, the official said.

A third officer was wounded and was in stable condition in a hospital, the official said.

The slain officers were with the Miami-Dade Police Department.

- CNN's Susan Candiotti contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida
  1. alex

what i don't understand is why only 2 police officers went to serve a federal warrant in National City! But it does make sense, Over Town , Little Haiti, National City berely have any police force even though they have the most crime. So where are the police? In Miami Beach!!!! the gold mine! This morning a homeless (drunk) guy was yeling on Lincoln Blvd. that Jesus is comming. 6 police cars..6 showed up for one homeless guy.. And that is daily. Miami Beach is a Mecca for police to fill their pockets. How about it Rick Scott, move the police to where is needed not where all the tourist are so the police can rob them blind!!! So I blame the police department on this one for being too greaddy!

January 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. duke

If they are fighting for my first amendment rights,how come you cop lovers get upset when I exercise my right??
    Phuck the Police!!

January 20, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bud

It seems that lately, anything attached to the word "warrant" equals an immediate death sentence. The cops started it with their nighttime drug busts into homes. It's not come back to bite them on the streets. Karma can be a real displeaser sometimes. What is they say? Reap what you sow? When you read "police task force," understand it to be "immediate action firing squad."

January 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. heather

I grew up around cops my father was one.. alot of them are good men and you insulting their sacrifices is dumb and childish.. I admit there are some cops who are questionable however that doesn't mean their all bad. It's hard to have family serving in the police force cause they may never come home again! Im grateful my father got to serve and protect without dying but very sad for men and women who weren't as lucky.. For the cops who do keep clean their heros...

January 20, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lftryagain

Illegal immigrants?

January 20, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. memphis

Its a sad day in America when some1 looses their life. Whats sadder is when people have no respect 4 life its self. This isn't a reality show wake up and smell the coffe. My extreme condolences 2 those who died in this tradgedy

January 20, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. David Rodgers

1st every cop knows this is one of the many occupational hazards. 2nd contrary to some popular belief, there are some good police officers out there and not all conspiracy theories are true.

January 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kate

this website is very good, you can go and see it

January 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. doodletoot

i wish you all would stop overreacting and just take a big wiff of my ballsack already! smells like raspberry-lemon zinger if you ask me

January 20, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. RedHawk

I can't believe all the idiots on here. It's painful to see so many people with such a low IQ.

1. I DO pray for the day when you need to call 911 and receive help immediately. Why? Does that make me sick? No. I hope it opens your eyes to learn to appreciate them. Because only then will you realize, that they are here to help us.

2. My observations of people who hate law enforcement, are that it's because they've done something wrong to get arrested. Here's how life works: Don't do the crime, don't do the time. It's their job to enforce rules and laws, and they do a damn good job. Just like how all of us enforce the rules at our workplaces. And for those of us that don't, you were fired, or on the verge, and now you think that company is stupid too. Grow up.

3. If the 2nd ammendement was never put into place, guns wouldn't be flowing so freely, therefore; they wouldn't be stolen or sold on the black market, and used to kill innocent people. I understand hunting, fine, allow use and sales of a shotgun. Do you need a hand gun or uzi or assault rifle to kill a deer? No. And yes, I am republican. So don't cry at me for being a tre hugger.

4. The above raises a point. Your political party has no base in a situation like this. A life taken is a life taken. A life is no lesser because it maybe right or left of the fence. And if you think that is the case, PLEASE find a mental ward and get off of the public streets for the rest of our safety!

May these officers, their families, and the suspects families have the peace they deserve at a time such as this. RIP brave officers.

January 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • butthenagain

It's funny that you should come on here and call people idiots and claim they have low IQ's for the simple fact that they have lost their trust in the system. Sounds like your the one with the low IQ.

1. PRAY all you like, I don't call 911 on principal. Because when seconds count, the police are just minutes away! As far as your question, it doesn't make you sick, it makes you an A**hole.

2. May I suggest expanding your observational powers? I don't like law enforcement and I've never been in trouble with the law. never been arrested, I've never been fired, and I enjoyed all my former jobs (not sure why that's even one of your points). My problem is that they seem to be so quick on the trigger.

3. Well, the 2nd ammendement was put into place, so deal with it. If you choose not to own a firearm, that's your life you're playing with. I'd rather be able to trust in my training and ability with firearms than to trust anyone else with my life. and no, I'm not going to pray that someone tries to kill you to prove a point.

4. I actually agree with your 4th point

At the end of the day, they were cops, they decided to be cops. They went to the academy and put on the uniform of their own free will. They knew walking in the door that there was a chance that this could happen.

January 20, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • RedHawk

Dear Sir or Madame,

First off, I'd like to say thank you. Thank you for not making 911 an option. I know many people in law enforcement who have to take hundreds of calls a day, and one less irrational person on the other end of that call, is highly appreciated.

With that being said, I hope that your house never catches on fire, as I'm uncertain as to how much ammo it would take to shoot out a blaze. Same for ever being in a car accident. I'm not sure how long it'd take you to shoot yourself out from being pinned in.

So again, thank you. And yes, I am an a**hole.

January 20, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Government

Death penalty for any and all crimes. It's cheaper than keeping trash alive

January 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. adagio4jt

Well said,bodikerc.

January 20, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. In The House

It pretty much shows the decline of a civilization when one of the joys of it's citizens is when a law enforcement official is murdered by a known criminal of the law.

How anyone but a criminal themselves could have pleasure and joy out of this horrific news is beyond my human concept. Guess it takes a human being to be a human being.

January 20, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. adagio4jt

Brilliant Offof20! I was just about to blog my thoughts, but you wrote EXACTLY what was on my mind.

January 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tomcat

Want to deter crime? Start by publishing photos and reason for arrest in daily papers. Since it is a matter of public record nobodys rights are being violated. Imagine being at school or work and everyone knew you got busted for DWI, POSS. or whatever. Nothing else seems to be working, maybe public shame is a start.

January 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |