Official: Two officers killed while serving federal warrant
Officers at a crime scene in Miami where two cops were shot while trying to serve a warrant.
January 20th, 2011

Official: Two officers killed while serving federal warrant

[Updated at 1:24 p.m.] A second officer has died in Miami following a shoot-out with a suspect wanted on a homicide warrant, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez said Thursday.

[Updated at 12:39 p.m.]
Miami-Dade police Commander Nancy Perez said at a news conference that one Miami-Dade police officer is dead, but the other is in surgery.

There were conflicting reports regarding the shooting of two officers who were trying to serve a warrant in Miami, Florida Thursday.

Earlier, an official said both officers had been killed.

WSVN: 2 officers shot and killed

[Posted at 12:16 p.m.] Two Miami police officers working for a federal task force were shot and killed while executing an arrest warrant in Miami Thursday morning, a federal law enforcement official said.

At least one person suspected of shooting the officers was also killed by police, the official said.

A third officer was wounded and was in stable condition in a hospital, the official said.

The slain officers were with the Miami-Dade Police Department.

- CNN's Susan Candiotti contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida
  1. DLR

Just another example of why "Hell is an Awfully Big City" Google it.

January 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. downwithsocialisim

I blame Obama and the socialist party aka democrats

January 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • In The House

Of course you do. What other meaning would your life have if you didn't support Faux News and your fellow Tea Baggers by stating lies about the POTUS. Once your life is already pathetic, there's only soo much further you can decline.

January 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Azrael

@downwithsocialism *L* Thats a good one. You blame gun crime on someone from the party who wants gun control instead of the Repubs or Tea parties who don't. BTW Do you ever use public transportation, a road system like the interstate, meidcare, medicaid or veterans affairs hospitals? Have you ever had to ask a place like a town or city hospital to cut you a break on billing? Guess what if you do, you might want to stop because you'd be supporting socialist ideas.

January 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Offof20

T50555f: apparently you did not read my comment. Go back & read it again. If everyone is bashing our local law enforcement & killing them for protecting us; I wouldn't want to protect & serve those who have no respect for the law or for my life. Most of you, who have commented, has done nothing but bash the officers who were serving their community. It saddens me. As for wars & no laws, in place in other countries; don't get me started. 1/2 of my neighbors are war refugees. I see what they have come from & they are grateful to be here. They miss their homeland, but not the violence. So, how is it, a refugee can be so humbled & grateful for the laws & law officials, in our country; & we Americans wish them dead. It is wrong the way most of you think. It is wrong to be glad 2 officers died today. If we are not careful; we will be fighting one another & not no what we are fighting about. Innocent people being murdered on our soil. It is just wrong. So, learn to read b4 taking my words out of context.

January 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. what's up

GUNS GUNS GUNSLL

January 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. eric

God bless the families of the officers just doing their job

January 20, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Offof20

T50555f: tell your little boyfriend, butthenagain, to stop hiding behind a girls skirt. If he isn't boy enough to face the fact; that the majority of our law enforcement is on the straight & narrow. He needs to keep his mouth shut. Oh, by the way, just how many law enforcement officer's has he been up close & personal with? The way he says it; it sounds like he knows them all my name.

January 20, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • butthenagain

Jesus little boy, you need to learn how to read. As I've already stated, I haven't had any run-ins with the cops. And how is saying that cops aren't on the straight and narrow hidding behind a skirt. maybe you should stop hiding behind the skirt and admit that there is a problem. But then again, I guess I'll be the balls to say it so that you can keep playing the sheep. by the way the "tell him to shut his mouth" is uncalled for, you may be an internet tough guy but I doubt you would say something like that to me if I was in the same room. That being said, I'm done responding to you as you've shown you care nothing but a child that can't do anything but call people names when they know they're wrong.

January 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. who cares

So what...when they kill one of our sons or daughters do they cry for them? They got paid to risk their life...they lost.

January 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Offof20

Butthenagain: you were the one stating how most law enforcement officer's you have come in contact with are corrupt. I would just like to know how many that would be? Daddy? Step-Daddy? One? How about none? As for you watching your back; I am sure you will make the local law enforcement happy, by doing so. Just make sure you do not put any innocent people in your line of fire. You, lil' boy, are a loose cannon. Loose cannon's do more harm than good. Get some help. I would hate to know you are another Laughner. That would be a tragedy. Be well lil' boy. Really, read b4 you speak. Nice chatting with you. Have a pleasant day.

January 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tiredofitall

The biggest mouths against the cops are usually people that have had run ins with them, they are always innocent like 90% of the bottom feeders in prison. In Miami there are some of the most ruthless thugs in the streets and the cops have a really hard decision to make when confronted with them, sometimes it is kill or be killed. It is funny that so many people on this site feel that this was a knee jerk situation that the cops just decided to go visit. They were serving an arrest warrant not tickets to the policemans annual ball...............there was a reason the cops were there and there was a reason the thugs tried to kill them..............

January 20, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Derrick Murphy

I can't beleave some of u people!two officers died today!And some of u have the nerve to speak the way u do about them.but yet soon as something happens to u,I bet u all are so quick to dail 911.looking for those same type of people you talk down about and happen to be gone!may they R.I.P. To come save your ass! U should be ashamed.

January 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Offof20

My heart does go out to the family, friends, & co-worker's of those involved in this tragedy. This should not have happened. I would also like to say thank you. Thank you to all who put their lives on the line for all of us; even if some are not grateful. I am. Please, keep doing your job's. Do them well. God bless.

January 20, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jbond

Too bad. You have good and bad cops. I was one and my oldest son is one and my youngest is in school to be one.

January 20, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jbond

But remember, most of us get there after the fact. Nothing wrong with gun ownership!!.

January 20, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Moriyah

I only have to ask 'Why are County Officers serving Federal Warrants'? Let the Feds exercise their jurisdiction, as they should, and let the County exercise its own as it should. Were there no Feds present except on paper?

January 20, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joe Kidd 1975

Has Sheriff Dupnik blamed The Tea Party and Sarah Palin, yet?

January 20, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |