'America's Missing': Tionda and Diamond Bradley leave to play, never return
Tionda Z. Bradley, left, and Diamond Yvette Bradley were last seen on July 6, 2001.
January 21st, 2011

'America's Missing': Tionda and Diamond Bradley leave to play, never return

Editor's note: HLN is airing a special "Nancy Grace: America’s Missing" with the goal of trying to find 50 people over the next 50 days.

Nancy Grace will take a look at several cases around the nation in hopes of  helping to solve them. This was the fourth case.

[Updated Friday at 9:41 a.m.] Ten-year-old Tionda Z. Bradley and her sister, three-year-old Diamond Yvette Bradley were last seen on July 6, 2001 in Chicago, Illinois.

Their mother told police the girls were accustomed to being home along because she was a single mother and when she left that morning they were asleep on the couch, where it was comfortable in the summer.

But when she came home she found a note her oldest daughter wrote saying she was going to a store, then the school playground. They were last seen playing in the neighborhood, but nobody has ever seen or heard from them since.

"I believe that someone that was in close acquaintance with the mother of Tionda and Diamond took those children," Shelia Bradley-Smith, the girls' great-aunt told Nancy Grace. "The note, that was not the way Tionda spoke ... she was coached to write that note."

She also said there was a voicemail that said that "George was at the door."

An extensive search was launched by the girls' home, a nearby lake and even the cellar of the abandoned New Hope church - but they found no clues and the case remains unsolved.

For more information on the sisters, their description, and information to contact authorities, visit Nancy Grace's blog.

Other resources:
The Charley Project: Diamond Bradley and Tionda Bradley
America's Most Wanted: Diamond Bradley and Tionda Bradley

CNN affiliate WLS stories:
Family told Tionda isn't 'mystery girl'
Vigil held for sisters missing 9 years
Search leads police to forest preserve

1. pam

lots of parents in different situations are forced to do things to survive that the rest of us swear we would never do. i have also heard it somewhere for all you people passing your moral judgements that morality is for people with a full stomach

January 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lorrie

I too think this Jim Brieske person needs to be investigated!!

January 20, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Brieske

Lorrie. You are not too bright. I am being nice. You have attacked me using a cheap cowardly democrat liberal tactic and I should bite your head off with words and send the letter "p" down your throat.
      jim

January 21, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Noway

It's funny how much crap people will talk behind the protection of a computer screen.

Casting the first stone is a serious offense to GOD and please note he's a forgiving GOD but you have to repent your sins. So self righteous hope your ready for your judgement.

January 20, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Brieske

Noway. I wouldn't place so much seriousness on people's words written on a blog.
      jim

January 20, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sheryl

I remember this. I lived in Chicago. It seemed that they didn't search too hard for them. The mom was at work. Very sad.

January 20, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Paula

Those of you who are criticizing her for living the children at home alone need to reconsider the situation. Often times single mothers have no one to assist with their children and at least she didn't leave them with some crazy live thug nor did she leave them in order to go partying. I agree that she should not have left a 10 year old with a three year old but her mistake was not teaching them to remain inside while she was at work. I don't believe the part where the child left a note because that is NOT what 10 year old children do they simply don't think about that. But the children NEVER should have been allowed to leave the house, answer the phone unless it was their Mother and they should have been taught to NEVER answer the door or at least state that the Mother is home but too busy to answer the door or phone.

January 20, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lalaloopsy

this is what happens when you leave your children alone. Mom should have A: made better choices that wouldn't have lead her to be a single mom, B: found someone to take care of her children, wether that's a neighbor or giving them up to the state. At least they wouldn't be missing and most likely dead. I feel bad that they had to have such a fate, but I think they are better off. Now they aren't being neglected by an irresponsible mother.

January 20, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lol

What parents in their right mind would name a kid "Diamond"? ROFL!

January 20, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lol

What parents in their right mind would name their kid "Diamond"? ROFL!!

January 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

oops, sorry about the double post. Darn internet.

January 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. T

After hearing this story my heart dropped. I just turned 20 Jan. 16th and I had to force myself to think back to the year of 2001 and the gap between then and now. This is a very devastating scenario to imagine someone like myself, an African American and still very young, being completly robbed of their life. It’s really frightening and my heart goes out to their families, friends, community, and all the investigators and volunteers who put so much time and effort to search for Tionda and Diamond. Every now and then I watch the Nancy Grace show and hear about the ongoing kidnappings of people of all ages and sometimes I’m able to assume what the outcome of the kidnapping would be. In this case, I can honestly say I believe that God is not ready to take these girls just yet. I feel a great sence of hope and deeply feel in my heart that they are alive and hopefully living well. I can never imagine my 1 yr old daughter being taken away from me but, all I can say is pray and pray hard, faith is key. I always try to avoid watching the news because of stories like this, but now I realized how important it is to stay involve; you never know whose life you may save. So, for everyone out there, yes the news may be depressing at times, but you may be out and about one day and happent to recognize a missing child that has probably been brainwashed so much to the point that they don’t recall being missing or kidnapped. Let us all make a difference! God Bless

January 20, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Brieske

T. You are exactly why black mothers get away with murder. You stick together like flys on poop. You make me want to vomit with your racist, oh I better help her "because she is black like me" writing.
      Pathetic.
      jim

January 20, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chitown

Jim, you sound like such an angry man. I didn't get that from her post, whatsoever. I got that we should all be aware of what is going in around us, so perhaps someone could be helped or saved. You obviously have too much time on your hands. Go for a run or lift some weight. Maybe it will get some of that displaced anger out of you. What happened to being ind to others?

January 21, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Brieske

Chitown. Are you an idiot? You are. As a rule in general, I defend myself against attack. You are a fuking liberal biased person who has offered nothing to the conversation of any value. You waste your time attacking me just like the other fools who have and suddenly realize that I am much much more intelligent than they are. There are two reasons it is stupid for people to attack me for what I write:
      1.) I could be the son of God for all they know.
      2.) They offer absolutely nothing toward solving the crime. If anything, their biased rants explain why it remains unsolved.
      jim

January 21, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. T

excuse me Aussie Oioi I don't know if your joking or not but now is not the time to talk about names, dogs and america. That's like someone just getting bad news and you're mentioning the new pair of shoes you just bought. That's the last thing someone wants to hear.

January 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tennessee

you all sound like ignorant uneducated animals, regardless of how or why these children went missing, who done it, what there names r, they r still missing, they r only 10 and 3, I have a 10yr old and a 16mnth old, I can't even image what these little girls went through or r going through! Do u hear urself, how cruel and heartless can a person be! There children give them some respect!

January 21, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. harley

i remember this case and there was a man named george (I think) that the older daughter said she was leaving with.......the mom knew this guy.....no matter what happened it is the moms fault...I dont care what color you are ...if you cant feed your baby...dont have a baby....
    all these cases the involve children have in common is that there was a boy friend or step dad at the missing house or the house they were last seen at....nancy grace is not that smart if she cant figure that out....its ALWAYS the boyfriend.....period

January 21, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Brieske

harley. No it is not always the boyfriend or any other particular type of profile!
      jim

January 21, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cindy

If you can't afford child care, don't have a freaking kid. God, the ignorance of people. Can't we stop stupid people from breeding?

January 21, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. FedUp

I have personally seen african american children who have gone missing just days before being aired on Nancy Grace!!! I am sick to death of this race card BS!!!!! Why didn't an african american call the Nancy Grace show and get these young girls on the show sooner???? Always have to blame the white race....SAD SAD SAD!!!!! I am just amazed that race can even come into play about young children who have gone missing????????????????? God Help Us All!!!! We need it!

January 21, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. Mom

Ok. Something sounds a little off here....most single mothers have all kinds of government assistance programs recommended to them to help pay for childcare. Not trying to accuse the mother, but even ten years ago, it wouldn't have been too awful hard for a single mom to get help with a sitter. Such a tragedy could have been avoided. 😦

January 21, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |