Norwegian boy fends off wolves with Creed song
Wolves, presumably like these but in Norway instead of Germany, may prefer joik or lokk music to American grunge rock.
January 21st, 2011

Norwegian boy fends off wolves with Creed song

Luckily for Walter Eikrem, it does not appear Norwegian wolves care for Creed.

The 13-year-old was walking home from the school bus stop in the town of Rakkestdad this week when he noticed something on the hillside near his family’s farmhouse, according to Germany’s Der Spiegel magazine.

At first he thought they were dogs, but he soon realized they were wolves - four of them - the magazine said, citing Norway’s TV2.

The boy, remembering that his mother had told him never to run from wolves, pulled the headphones out of his mobile phone and cranked up the volume on the tiny speakers.

He was listening to “Overcome” by Creed, an arguably Christian rock band, and apparently, the wolves were not fans.

(Initial reports indicated Walter shooed the wolves away with a Megadeth song, but the blog at Gibson guitars cleared up the confusion.)

“They just turned around and simply trotted away,” he told the TV station, according to Der Spiegel. “The worst thing you can do is run away because doing so just invites the wolves to chase you down ... but I was so afraid that I couldn't even run away if I'd wanted to.”

To be fair, Walter was yelling at the top of his lungs and wildly flailing his arms, so it’s tough to say exactly what made the wolves decide the boy might not be delicious.

His mother told the local paper that she was going to pick her son up from school because she knew there were wolves in the area, but she got carried away shopping, Der Spiegel reported.

“I have a completely guilty conscience,” she said. “The previous evening, we saw three wolves on the edge of the forest when we were putting our horses in their stall. The horses were panicky.”

Um, thanks, mum? … Well, OK, scratch that. Perhaps sarcasm is a little harsh for the woman who taught young Walter never to run from wolves.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Music • Norway • Technology
  1. Lucky little fellow

I don't think the wolves were starving hungry, if they were he would have been dinner.

January 21, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Wisdom4u2

Well, if he used Creed it was the power of God, and the wolves had to flee!!!! Praise the Lord!!!

January 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

I'm always bemused by all the ATFers (After The Fact) that show-up on here and display some form of self-proclaimed expertise on an area they know less about than a monkey does about a bank holiday.

And other posters are right here and on other sites – yesterdy it was Megadeath, the day before Ozzy Osborne. What next, Celine Dion?!

January 21, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jerry

Wow Creed sucks so much even the wolves hate them.

January 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joe in Colorado

Hmm, which song was it: "Bullets", "Hide", Never Die", "One Last Breath", "Stand Here With Me", "Torn", "Who's Got My Back?", "With Arms Wide Open", or "Wrong Way" ?

January 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justsayinnnn

The article said it was a song called 'Overcome'. Sounds like the kid did just that.

January 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Me

Does anyone read any more? The article said he pulled the headphones out of his phone. When you do that the headphones don't transmit ANY sound because they're disconnected. He turned up the volume on the mobile phone, which was now minus the headphones, therefore using speakers. Not real loud admittedly, but louder than through headphones, and wolves do have great hearing. I suspect, however, that it had more to do with the yelling and waving...or maybe they just had lunch.

January 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SBFlorida

Very very slow news day.

January 21, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bailoutsos

As weird as it may sound, animals respond to music/sounds. I was practicing the harmonica and a squirrel came down a tree and on a limb as close as it could and sat there while I played.

January 21, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ituri

Probably wanted a closer look at the dying, braying animal. >_<

January 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • nepawoods

"I was practicing the harmonica and a squirrel came down a tree and on a limb as close as it could and sat there while I played." ... The squirrel thought you were nuts. They like nuts.

January 21, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • @nepawoods

That was the best reply thus far to this whole silly article. LOL:)-

January 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheapster

tell that to my DOG

January 22, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Derrick

That's a cool story. It was Creed's new song 'Overcome.' A good way to pump yourself up in the face of danger. Rock on!

January 21, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. aaron

these wolves were so hungry they wanted to devour the young lad. as they neared their prey, a noise straight from the depths of hell began peircing their ears. the wolves, being sure they mistook a demon of the netherworld for their next meal, turned around and trotted off. i know, i was there.

creed isnt xtian music, it is devil music!!

January 21, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. not you

See, even 4 out of 5 Germans hate Creed, too!

January 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. hf74

That just means that the wolves have taste.

January 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. the_dude

creed??? Not even wolves are gay enough to listen to that crap.

January 21, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. waynebob

Yeah, Creed has the same effect on me....... 😉

January 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kenny

I'm going to strap on my Fender Stratocaster and my mini Marshall belt-clip amp to and from school from now on. If I ever encounter wolves, dogs, cats or even ugly rude people, I'm gonna crank up that sucker; perhaps a little Black Sabbath or Guns N Roses. I live in busy L.A. filled with lots of college chicks.

January 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

I think the college chicks would go the way of the wolves if you did that, LOL.

January 21, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |