Norwegian boy fends off wolves with Creed song
Wolves, presumably like these but in Norway instead of Germany, may prefer joik or lokk music to American grunge rock.
January 21st, 2011

Norwegian boy fends off wolves with Creed song

Luckily for Walter Eikrem, it does not appear Norwegian wolves care for Creed.

The 13-year-old was walking home from the school bus stop in the town of Rakkestdad this week when he noticed something on the hillside near his family’s farmhouse, according to Germany’s Der Spiegel magazine.

At first he thought they were dogs, but he soon realized they were wolves - four of them - the magazine said, citing Norway’s TV2.

The boy, remembering that his mother had told him never to run from wolves, pulled the headphones out of his mobile phone and cranked up the volume on the tiny speakers.

He was listening to “Overcome” by Creed, an arguably Christian rock band, and apparently, the wolves were not fans.

(Initial reports indicated Walter shooed the wolves away with a Megadeth song, but the blog at Gibson guitars cleared up the confusion.)

“They just turned around and simply trotted away,” he told the TV station, according to Der Spiegel. “The worst thing you can do is run away because doing so just invites the wolves to chase you down ... but I was so afraid that I couldn't even run away if I'd wanted to.”

To be fair, Walter was yelling at the top of his lungs and wildly flailing his arms, so it’s tough to say exactly what made the wolves decide the boy might not be delicious.

His mother told the local paper that she was going to pick her son up from school because she knew there were wolves in the area, but she got carried away shopping, Der Spiegel reported.

“I have a completely guilty conscience,” she said. “The previous evening, we saw three wolves on the edge of the forest when we were putting our horses in their stall. The horses were panicky.”

Um, thanks, mum? … Well, OK, scratch that. Perhaps sarcasm is a little harsh for the woman who taught young Walter never to run from wolves.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Music • Norway • Technology
  1. bostongye

Creed was the late 90s/2000s attempt to recreate Pearl Jam. Just like Godsmack was the attempt to recreate Alice in Chains.

January 21, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Maureen

and the greatest thing of all is there no mention about killing the wolves because they were there .....USA and Palin ....take notice....

January 21, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Blood Will Be Shed

Yep, Creed repels me too. And then I wanna pierce my eardrums with a pen

January 21, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mary J

So wolves and I actually share common ground. Our hatred of Creed.

January 21, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fiona

Gee...maybe the wolves were never interested in the boy in the first place? Why make it sound as if they would have eaten him if he hadn't shooed them away. They were wolves being wolves. End of story.

January 21, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin

Fiona, nice to see someone knows something about wolves. I agree completely. No doubt the wolves would have trotted away with or without the music. They are timid regarding humans. As you said they were wolves being wolves. There is no reason to make it sound like they were about to devour the boy.

January 22, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jo

I think that's hysterical, and bravo to the kid!

January 21, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheapster

I was once surrounded by wolves at a Karokie bar does that count????

January 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BSPolice

Can I clarify that Creed is NOT a Christian Rock band, has never been signed to a Christian label in their history, and is not even considered as such due in part to the fact that their music is not even spiritual. Haste The Day, Demon Hunter, Skillet, and Kutless are Christian Rock bands...meaning that they are actually signed to a Christian label. You can't even say arguably because they have never had a Christian record deal, nor have the lyrics to back up this ignorant theory. Same goes for Evanescence...absolutely NOT Christian...never ever was and never would be. Remove the word arguably and just call them previously popular rock band. That sounds more like it. First 3 albums were awesome. Then the breakup and Stapp's dealings with Kid Rock. Now comes a get together and by far one of the worst albums I have ever heard. No wonder the Wolves did not eat him. Overcome is one of Creed's WORST songs and is not even the best song on the album.

January 21, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • nimrod

but creed DO suck just as much as kutless, skillet, so on and so forth..

January 21, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

LOL.

No need to for so much analysis. You can just as easily tell them apart from real Christian bands by the fact that they've sniffed the charts.

January 21, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

All humor aside, the boy was most likely not in any danger, so this story is pretty moot. Humans aren't prey to wolves, they share a relationship of indifference. In many nordic and North American regions, wild wolves are actually somewhat friendly and sometimes helpful to the locals, and are often seen trotting about busy streets in town.

It's just a children's story book fallacy that wolves are dangerous... well, they may be to little pigs lol.

January 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crimsaint

Why would you need to be on a Christian label to be considered a Christian band? A Creed, by definition, is a declaration of religious belief. Sort of an odd name to choose for a band that apparently has no belief in God at all. Same thing with their lyrics – they don't mention God explicitly in every song, but come on.

January 24, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. coder

when i hear creed – i run the other way too!

January 21, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Steve

I knew there had to be a use for Creed's music. Wolf repellent. Genius.

January 21, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. yatmur

Did the wolves give any indication whatsoever that they were planning to attack him?

January 21, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Wolves Are Coming Arm the Ipods!

According to police when they raided the wolves den they found firearms, a sweatshop,drugs and oddly enough workout videos with richard simmons and some pink leotards. They did indeed have something planned and it was not going to end well...

Sorry, I'm bored out of my mind

January 21, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • but-seriously-folks

Yes, they tweeted it just before they made their move.

January 23, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Laura

Oh its good the kid did not become wolf chow. When I was in my twenties and hunting wolves was legal, I was
    hunting for deer and shot at a wolf from about 250 ft., missed it and it took off running. They dont like loud noises.
    I would worry more about wild panthers or pumas or leopards mountain lions or whatever you want to call the
    mountain cat.

January 21, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ....

"To be fair, Walter was yelling at the top of his lungs and wildly flailing his arms, so it’s tough to say..."

....but that headline doesn't catch your eye quite like Creed-bashing...

Hey, i know plenty of wolves that like Human Clay and My Own Prison just fine, back off CNN.

January 21, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Adam

Music, even from headphone's (which the article says he unplugged) used to scare the s*** out of my dog so it doesnt surprise me music played on his mobile would do the same thing to the wolves

January 21, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pat

Everybody assumes that wolves will attack, alone or in packs. Maybe and just maybe they aren't as vicious as we all thought.

January 21, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin

Wolves have a bad reputation which is totally undeserved!

January 22, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fric

I fought off a bear with a switch one time. 🙂

January 21, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheapster

I once shot an elephant in my pajamas .......How he got in MY pajamas I'll never know: Groucho Marx

January 22, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |