Norwegian boy fends off wolves with Creed song
Wolves, presumably like these but in Norway instead of Germany, may prefer joik or lokk music to American grunge rock.
January 21st, 2011

Norwegian boy fends off wolves with Creed song

Luckily for Walter Eikrem, it does not appear Norwegian wolves care for Creed.

The 13-year-old was walking home from the school bus stop in the town of Rakkestdad this week when he noticed something on the hillside near his family’s farmhouse, according to Germany’s Der Spiegel magazine.

At first he thought they were dogs, but he soon realized they were wolves - four of them - the magazine said, citing Norway’s TV2.

The boy, remembering that his mother had told him never to run from wolves, pulled the headphones out of his mobile phone and cranked up the volume on the tiny speakers.

He was listening to “Overcome” by Creed, an arguably Christian rock band, and apparently, the wolves were not fans.

(Initial reports indicated Walter shooed the wolves away with a Megadeth song, but the blog at Gibson guitars cleared up the confusion.)

“They just turned around and simply trotted away,” he told the TV station, according to Der Spiegel. “The worst thing you can do is run away because doing so just invites the wolves to chase you down ... but I was so afraid that I couldn't even run away if I'd wanted to.”

To be fair, Walter was yelling at the top of his lungs and wildly flailing his arms, so it’s tough to say exactly what made the wolves decide the boy might not be delicious.

His mother told the local paper that she was going to pick her son up from school because she knew there were wolves in the area, but she got carried away shopping, Der Spiegel reported.

“I have a completely guilty conscience,” she said. “The previous evening, we saw three wolves on the edge of the forest when we were putting our horses in their stall. The horses were panicky.”

Um, thanks, mum? … Well, OK, scratch that. Perhaps sarcasm is a little harsh for the woman who taught young Walter never to run from wolves.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Music • Norway • Technology
  1. Nonyo Biznuss

Walter was yelling at the top of his lungs and wildly flailing his arms, the same thing scared away all of creed's fans too! If this kid was listening to anything good I bet the wolves woulda eaten him.

January 21, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bobby C

Even wolves run away when there hear Creed. I thought Norwegians only listned to Black Metal

January 21, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheapster

maybe they were KOSHER wolves

January 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Annas still dead

Almost heart warming if it were not such BS.

January 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Karen

I think the trick to getting away from wolves is to make sure you have someone with you who runs slower than you.

January 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheapster

I think the trick for getting away from wolves .....Sing Karokie

January 22, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Edward Nashville, TN

This story sounds like some made up bs. who cares.

January 21, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Norman

Another story trying to cast wolves as dangerous. Speaking as someone who grew up in wolfcountry, they're not. Unless they're sick or starving, they simply won't attack you unless you engage them in some way first. They stay clear of humans.

January 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin

Thank you for another voice of reason! I do not understand this irrational fear of wolves.

January 22, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MS

I was once attacked by wolves and I played Nickelback. They ran too right off a cliff.

January 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. 2nd.try

~ 🙂

January 21, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brad in San Francisco

This really is a true story. I like the wolves would run away from that obnoxious low quality "christian" music. The wolves knew that any person shroud in that noise would be bitter, stringy and have no nutritional value. It would be like eating rocks.

January 21, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martina

I haven't laughed so hard in a long long time. Thank you!

January 21, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nick A

I would of run too. Creed...WOW. I don't even know where to start. The terrible music...The dramatic arms flailing around on the lead singer. The over all suckyness is overwhelming...Aparently even for wolves.

January 21, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. David Bustamante

Lot of angry people out there. Worse than the wolves. What's up America?

January 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Magne Harket

I'm surprised it wasn't "Cry Wolf" by Norway's own a-ha...

January 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Matt

Creed has that effect on me too.

January 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Klw

According to my teacher, no one has ever been killed by a wolf in North America. I have yet to find any confirmed evidence to the contrary. Maybe this kid was on to something.

January 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • nope_noteven

Check with your teacher on Norway being in North America. No one reportedly being killed by wolves in North America doesn't have any bearing on what wolves do in Norway.

January 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Klw

I see my joke went over your head. Check on Creed being a band in North America and then get back to me.

January 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • serialmom

Last September, a rabid wolf attacked a hunter along the Kuskokwim River near Kalskag, biting the man in his leg before being shot to death. The hunter lived.

In April 2000, a radio-collared wolf repeatedly bit a 6-year-old boy playing in a grove of alders at a logging camp northwest of Yakutat. The boy was not seriously injured.

Then in July 2006, a wolf attacked a schoolteacher walking off the Dalton Highway, along the Arctic Circle. The woman suffered cuts and gashes to her legs but survived.

McNay, who now lives in Kansas, is the author of a 2002 study published by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game that examined 80 wolf-human encounters in North America, nearly half of which involved elements of aggression among healthy wolves.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/03/09/1175725/wolf-blamed-in-death-of-villager.html#ixzz1Bppe1Tx4

This was in regard to a teacher believed to have been killed by wolves in Alaska (North America.)

January 23, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
    • dave peterson

two recent deadly wolf attacks one in canada and one in alaska- both were eaten

February 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Atlas Shrugged

Good picture of the band. But which one has his back to the camera?

January 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |