Jack LaLanne dead at 96
January 23rd, 2011

Jack LaLanne dead at 96

American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, California, according to his long-time agent, Rick Hersh. He was 96.

The cause, said Hersh, was respiratory failure due to pneumonia. LaLanne had been ill for the past week.  His wife, Elaine, was at his side, along with his family and friends, Hersh said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Obituary
  1. beethovenopus27

A great man who did much for society. RIP Jack, you will be missed.

January 23, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ?

Who is he??

January 23, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • please.

What is google? How do I use it?

January 23, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • rich

So much for fitness prolonging your life..

January 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • PHYLLISHA PETERS

I REMEMBER HIM AS A CHILD USE TO WATCH HIS EXERCISE SHOW IN THE MORNINGS HE WAS SO HANDSOME THEN RIP U DESERVE IT

January 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie Marie

who is he? do people really write things like that? what a neat guy. I am guessing he will surely be missed by family anf friends.....96. what a gift.

January 23, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • TomUSMC

Rich, I suppose 96 isn't that good? Are you expecting 187 years old or something?

January 23, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • D. Watson

I was surprised to hear that he was still alive. I remember when I was a kid he had a show every morning. At his age and fitness I thought he might outlive me.

January 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. shidley

Is my Juicer still covered under the warranty?

January 23, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Saw

You have no class. Making a joke out of the man's death.

January 23, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joe

Guess he wasn't so fit after all.

January 23, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • BaltoPaul

Fit enough to make it to 96 years old.

January 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • wendy

he lived to be 96 .. that's pretty fit in my book

January 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck Norris

He still would have been able to kick your ass!

January 23, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred4Seattle

Well said, Chuck.

January 23, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael Armstrong Sr. Tx .

I think his azz kicking days are over .

January 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • lacpeb

Keep in mind that children born in 1915 were not projected to live into their mid 90's. Jack LaLanne did an amazing job to live as long as he did. For you to suggest anything less, Joe, is shallow, ignorant and disrespectful.

January 23, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • MoopsieDaisey

Pssst, Joeseph. Really? 96.

January 23, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeff

there's something to be said about intense exercise lowering longevity. sure a healthy person lives, on avg, longer than a less healthy person. however, just like an engine only has so many miles in it, a heart can only do so much work. it seems only those one of those women who live a "tame" life and do moderate exercise can live to 110-115. if you ask those super old women what their "secret" is, they always say: "i don't know. eat well, sleep and do nothing." the strain of hard exercise kills your heart a bit.

January 23, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Really?

Jeff – Thank you Mr. Arm Chair Exercise Know it All – what a Dumb Dumb!

January 23, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeff

i'm probably in better shape than you and mark combined. did i ever advocate living the longest possible? if you were able to read and comprehend in tandem, you would realize that i didn't. i work out hard and i know i'm not gonna live to 115 as a result. thank you for your valuable contributions though.

January 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

no doubt but that will change in 40 years. my plan to get past 100 is to rely heavily on stem cells and nanotechnology.

January 23, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • GaryO

We are the Borg. Resistance is..... now what was I talking abut again?

January 23, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

with this stupid blog format i can't tell who people are responding to. gary-o haha. give it time. the start of it will be watson winning on jeopardy next month.

January 23, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Theman

LOVE IT!!!! =D

January 23, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark, Toronto

And your motto is what couch life?

January 23, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • GFitnessGiirl

Jeff – really? LOL

January 23, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

are you insane why dont you tell us that when u are 6 feet under in 10 yrs

January 23, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • FitMan

I'm sure Jack is smiling.

January 24, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. mike

R.I.P jack, used to enjoy watching his show when I was a little kid-seemed like a nice guy

January 23, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Yep, a class act. He did a bit swimming and towing a boat a few years back, as I recall.

January 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Popepuncher

The way that guy looked, I figured he would last to 187.

January 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soljagurl

I just said the same thing......at least 100 something LOL

January 23, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • mfred

Yeah, I guess when you compare Jacks 96 years to someone like George Burnes who attributed his 100 years to drinking two Martini's, smoking a few cigars and plenty of hard hard work every day of his life. It would seem though that it all comes down to health, happiness, good genes and healthy moderation of the good life.

January 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kayakster

Huh? That must be the shortest "article" ever written. Jack deserves better!

January 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • whatnext

I agree. He was quite a guy. And the breaking news banner is the entire article?

January 23, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

He'll get a longer one when its not BREAKING NEWS. He died earlier this afternoon.

January 23, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOregon

Agree.

January 23, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • LRoy

Yeah, you would think that it would be at least a couple of sentences more. Those of us who are 40 and over remember him before Richard Simmons and all those other exercise "gurus" jumped on the band wagon.

I also thought he was going to hit 100 easily. He seemed very healthy for someone that age. But 115 seems to be the maximum age limit for humans.

January 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denim

I expect they'll expand it with their file obit shortly. RIGHT, CNN?

January 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • HosieO

I think only the kids are working @ CNN this evening. They are looking him up on WikiPedia. I remember him well. But I'm 54.

January 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fred

RIP Jack – Probably saw the Bears game

January 23, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mark

@ Joe..lol...let's talk when your 96...he didn't do too bad.

January 23, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sharon

He lived to a ripe old age and contributed much! My condolences to his wife and family.

January 23, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chal

I thought he'd live forever- he was amazing both physically and with his personality-way ahead of his time

January 23, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TC

Will be badly missed. Lived a full life!!!!!!!!

January 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Semper Fi

Thanks Jack. I'll swim my 3 miles for you in the morning and that still won't cut what you could do.

January 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joe

My condolences to his parents.

January 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenny

@ JOE.........You wrote; "My condolences to his parents". Joe, the man was 96 years old when he died. His parents died a few years ago. You need his famous juicer to get your brain functions in proper working order.

January 23, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOEJOE

ROFL

January 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lydia

what a sweet and dedicated man – I remember my mom exercising with his TV fitness program

January 23, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jeff m.

Will do a good workout in his honor tonight. Great American who helped countless people.

January 23, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |