Jack LaLanne dead at 96
January 23rd, 2011

Jack LaLanne dead at 96

American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, California, according to his long-time agent, Rick Hersh. He was 96.

The cause, said Hersh, was respiratory failure due to pneumonia. LaLanne had been ill for the past week.  His wife, Elaine, was at his side, along with his family and friends, Hersh said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Obituary
  1. tracy

I am 50 years old. Watched him on TV when I was 5 years old . The man gave and gives people the hope of living a long healthy life . Think about it ! God bless him .

January 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Laura

Farewell Mr. Fit... See you in our next life! You will always be remembered 😉

January 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Painter 11

FYI – says on another site that he died of complications from pneumonia – nothing to do with his heart surgery apparently. Pneumonia can take anyone of any age at any time. 96 IS pretty good!!! I remember doing exercises to his show with my Mom as a pre-schooler. Thought it was pretty cool. And it seems from these comments he was as sincere as he was enthusiastic. Some people are, apparently, irreplaceable......

January 23, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Christy Hogan

This is truly sad and weird....read on....i JUST posted his American Profile mag from January 10th 2010 on my fb this morning, first thing. quite shocked really. tuned in mentally as well as physically, obviouslyl

January 23, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. amy

I completely agree.

January 23, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Susan Silvestri

I send my condolences to the Laanne family for the loss of their father and husband. Love, Susan

January 23, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. moribundman

This untimely death just goes to show that working out and drinking lots of juice kills you.

January 23, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ron brooks

This man was a true class act. He was a mentor for me and others who wanted to stay in shape the world over. I still recall when he pulled huge boats while swimming for a show. He has done well for his fellow man. May he rest in peace. He will be missed by many people.

January 23, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Traci

rip Jack! you were such an inspiration to all!!I just bought your juicer i will think of you everyday when we use it!

January 23, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GPS

Even at 96 and dead Jack was healthier than most America are!! RIP Jack!!!

January 23, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mikey B

I guess all that exercising didn't help after all.

January 23, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

You are a moron. He was close to 100, enjoying a quality of life due to fitness and health that you probably forgot about after adolescence. If you had half a clue you would just offer your respects and condolences.

January 24, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mikey B

I guess all that exercising didn't help after all!

January 23, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

You are a real moron. He enjoyed a quality of life due to fitness and health until almost 100 that you probably forgot about after adolescence. If you had half a clue you would just offer your respects and condolences.

January 24, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. peter klika

It's important for flabby, unhappy Americans to note that Jack never sold out: It was simply about good food and regular exercise. He never offered "magic diet bullets" on late night TV or phoney diets that allowed you to eat anything. How refreshing. And how much we will miss him. His void will quickly be filled with the usual hucksters selling false hope to obese Americans. Put down the junk food and get some exercise. It really is that simple. Aloha. Peter Klika, Kapaau, Hawaii

January 23, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. tracy

I remember my mom and grandma excercising with Jack all the time. They even bought the rubber straps with handles that they would place under their feet to do the stretches. Happy was always jumping back and forth. We had a B&W Philco. After Jack, Wunda Wunda was on. My Grandma lived to 99. I'm sure Jack had alot to do with that because she always ate healthy, exercised and juiced. Rest with the Angels Jack and hug my Grandma for me.

January 24, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. Steve

RIP. What an incredible man. He was so entertaining even in his 90's!

January 24, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |