Jack LaLanne dead at 96
January 23rd, 2011

Jack LaLanne dead at 96

American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, California, according to his long-time agent, Rick Hersh. He was 96.

The cause, said Hersh, was respiratory failure due to pneumonia. LaLanne had been ill for the past week.  His wife, Elaine, was at his side, along with his family and friends, Hersh said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Obituary
  1. WGM

I'm 53. He's the first voice I ever remember hearing telling me to eat right and exercise and take care of myself. Through the generations his wisdom and teachings must have affected millions of people including the younger ones that you see hawking their own books and dvd's today. I would say that is a life well lived. Jack, I'm going to go dig my juicer out of the basement. You RIP.

January 24, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. Thatguy371

An inspiration to all of us to exercise on a regular basis and eat right. R.I.P. Mr. LaLanne.

January 24, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jerome

Just don't seem right, thought the man was immortal. My youngest son is getting a Power Juicer. We'll miss Jack.

January 24, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. imgottie

OMG Jack was very inspirational, there were only three white families in the Prodgects where we grew up, he gave me life and courage, we acquired a TV and were sometimes allowed to watch it, i would sneak around the floor and watch my mother work out with him ( i was 6 or 8 don't remember) back in the 60's. My point is you can be strong if you want to, sometimes practice is in order, but complaisance breeds lazy.
    Not bragging here, but i am successful to this day because of JACK, in more ways than anyone can think!
    RIP, I will see you again my friend! we will have many conversations!

January 24, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Michael Fox

What an amazing man! He revolutionialized fitness in America with his fitness show years ago. He pulled a boat with his teeth from Alcatraz to San Francisco Bay about 30 years when he was already old. His legacy will last for many, many years.

January 24, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. GraceintheHills

I still remember the times when my grandmother and I did our jumping jacks and other exercises each morning with Jack as we watched him on a small black and white television in her tiny living room many, many years ago. These experiences generated many wonderful memories that will be with me forever. Jack was a true American original...so upbeat, so positive, so inspirational to many kids...and adults of that era. He will be deeply missed. When you get to Paradise, give my beloved Grannie a kiss and hug, Jack.

January 24, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tom A

RIP Jack. I watched you with my mom in the 60's. Wow, how far ahead of your time can one be? I mean, he was exercising back when most people just plain did not do any sort of exercise. A shame we do not have more folks like Jack around. Just a plain ol' good guy. I will drop and do 50 Jack.........

January 24, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. Carl B

To all the people speaking negitivley...how long did your grampa live to??? Hmmm.. Didn't think so.

January 24, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lowgren

Really sorry to hear about Jack. He sure did something right. Getting to 96 is something else. He could do just about anything he set his mind to. He lived near my husbands family and was a fixture in town. He will be missed. Pneumonia does folks in when they are least expecting it. There is a pneumonia vaccine you can get if you are vulnerable.

January 24, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. Nick

"Jack LaLanne dead at 96"... Seems kind of callas and blunt. Of course, its true he died. Though it seems detached, cold and maybe even dehumanizing. Or maybe I'm just a sensitive puss. Ha 🙂

January 24, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. xranger

i just watched one of his exercise shows last week. still in his iconic jump suit. what an inspirational man, a great role model for all of us. RIP.

January 24, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. Qubert Rodrigo

My Grandma lived to be 97 and she smoked cigarettes every single day since she was 15 years old and the only exercise she got was doing domestic chores around the house.

January 24, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Steve L

I always admire people who achieve wealth and success in life by helping others, rather than ripping them off or taking advantage of them. People like Jack LaLane are few and far between RIP.

January 24, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. chappythedog

He will always be celebrated as a great man and a great role model for Americans. Thank you, Jack. RIP

January 24, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. JoJo

I watched Jack from day one....loved the show and his dog...can't remember the name. So long Jack!

January 24, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |