Jack LaLanne dead at 96
January 23rd, 2011

Jack LaLanne dead at 96

American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, California, according to his long-time agent, Rick Hersh. He was 96.

The cause, said Hersh, was respiratory failure due to pneumonia. LaLanne had been ill for the past week.  His wife, Elaine, was at his side, along with his family and friends, Hersh said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Obituary
  1. srichey

Hope I look as good at 70 as he did at 90. Great role model, may he rest in peace.

January 24, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. enuffisenuff

Thank you Jack for being the first to relate eating and exercise with health, and not beauty. If we had only listened 50 years ago, we probably wouldn't be the plastic surgery addicted obese nation we are.

January 24, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. NM

Totally speechless! Wow!

January 24, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rain

Jack LaLanne, thank you for what you did during your amazing life! I am a late '80's child so I didn't know who you were until a few years ago when I saw you sharing your juicer with the world. No, your juicer isn't the best on the market by any shot, but you taught me what juicing was and why it was such an amazing idea. Because of you I have been juicing for 6 years and I feel so amazing. So, thank you for that!
    RIP. ❤

January 24, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

This sucks. I'm just 38, and only recently became a fan of Jack's. I was hoping he would swim the English Channel or something for his 100th birthday. He was a true A$$-kicker. RIP, sir.

January 24, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. Stump297

Dude

January 24, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. johnswolter

Jack for me was a hero & an inspiration. I remember his first fitness TV show in the 1950's. I had just started watching TV and his show. He was a fitness & health leader who blazed a trail from which the whole can benefit.. He always said about nutrition, "..never eat anything that was not made by mother nature..." Correct, good for you, and easy to understand. The best to all of his and celebrate a well lived life.

January 24, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mike in Montana

I know this might sound strange.., I just heard Don Lemon on CNN News, say, "Jack LaLanne passed away today." It actually comes as a shock. I remember in the early 1950's, my mother would watch Jack LaLanne, five days a week in the Bay Area of San Francisco, when we lived there. Early 1950's.. In 1970, I went to work for Jack LaLanne at his Palo Alto fitness center, while attending Stanford University. Remembering, when Jack would swin the cold water of San Francisco Bay, with a rope around his waist and the end in his mouth as he pulled a small boat from Alcatraz Island (federal prison) to Fisherman's Wharf. Amazing to watch. What a guy, one of the nicest men that I have every known in my lifetime and I am now, 64. Never, never said a bad thing or word against anybody. Always talked about fitness and the right diet. Amazing guy and friend, I will miss him deeply. Mike.., who now lives in Montana.

January 24, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. slc

Interviewed on his 93rd birthday, he said his feat of strength was going to be "towing my wife across the bathtub"

January 24, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. N. Lindroos

Thank you Mr.LaLanne for leaving a positive mark on our world in your lifetime...You were a role model for healthy living! God bless you & your family. N.L.

January 24, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. Christal

Although I'm not old enough to remember him when he first came onto the scene, I'm old enough to know that we've lost a good person. He has lived a very productive life and had wonderful family and friends who loved him dearly; that's all that matters. What anyone has to say about him, that isn't positive, is not worth the time it takes to read it and lash back out at them in his honor. There are good people in this world and there are sick, deranged, and evil people that exist as well.
    May he rest in peace and my condolences go out to not only his family but his friends and fans who loved and admired him.

January 24, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. jenny

So sad ..rest in peace veggie man!

January 24, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. gypsyrockstar

we should shove him in a juicer and toast him

January 24, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Steven Duane Newcomb

Rest in Peace Jack.

January 24, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  15. 50marcjoe

I remember watching his show and folks i'll be 52 next month. I hope and pray i could live long to be 96 years old. He would end his show with a short song. And now that he is gone i will try to stay healthy and start watching what i eat and maby stop smoking. If i'm going to live like him i should start now. Thankyou jack for all u do. You'll will be missed but never forgotten. Rip jack.

January 24, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |