Jack LaLanne dead at 96
January 23rd, 2011

Jack LaLanne dead at 96

American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, California, according to his long-time agent, Rick Hersh. He was 96.

The cause, said Hersh, was respiratory failure due to pneumonia. LaLanne had been ill for the past week.  His wife, Elaine, was at his side, along with his family and friends, Hersh said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Obituary
  1. Rest in peace, Jack

I'm a little young, but i still remember Jack and his fitness show and I grew up on Jack Lalanne as a part of the family, he will be missed. Rest In Peace Jack and may God be with you, I know he is because Jack was a very, very special person.

Thanks for your contribution to enhance healthy living.

You truely are an american fitness GURU.

January 24, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. Auntie Matter

Coming soon to an infomercial near you: Jack Lalanne shows YOU how to develop a healthy-looking corpse in only 30 minutes a day!

January 24, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. pinkmercedes

Wow so sad 😦 great man! ...Hey cnn! shame on u for such a short article about a man like jack. Pathetic excuse for a news article. Jack deserves more!

January 24, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sam

Jack was "The Man." I used to work out in the living room in front of the old black & white TV set as a child. And those two big beautiful white dogs of his on the show! Anyone remember their names?

January 24, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. wheel jockey

jack had the quality of life @ 96 that the rest of humans can only wish for while in the 60's. G0D bless Jack and his family.

January 24, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. tommy belt

thanks jack for the inspiration over many years! your inspiration will be carried on by me for many years to come!

January 24, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Child of the 50's

Jack, you blessed our lives! I too, remember doing exercises in the 1950's with Mom & Grandma, by a B & W Philco TV. He opened a gym in our town in the Central Valley of Calif. & we joined immediately. At the grand opening, he came personally & signed photos for us. On our 25th anniv. (1997) we had a party at the Breaker's at the coast, & in walked Jack & Elaine! I was so happy to see how well he was, even at that age. Last year I decided to get with the juicing program, & bought one of his juicers. He never steered us wrong. Grandma lived to 102, and Mom is still alive & kicking at 81. Rest in Peace, Jack. You are a beautiful soul! -E.

January 24, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Steve Trutane

Let's make Jack LaLanne's birthday September 26th a National Day of Health when we all follow Jack's lead in demonstrating our commitment to better physical fitness and nutrition by doing something positive to improve our personal health and in so doing, reduce our healthcare costs and make our nation stronger! –> http://JLLDay.org

January 24, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joanne

I don't know why he didn't have a vaccination for pneumonia. Everyone 65 and over should have one. I remember Jack back in the 50's. I'm 65 and my dad just turned 96. He gets around just fine. Mom has some trouble walking much distance at 93. I think genes have a lot to do with it.

January 24, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rick

Figures an infection would get him, it certainly wasn't his lifestyle that caused it! Being able to do divebomber pushups at 90+ years old, heck I'm half that age and can't do them now.

He was instrumental in creating the fitness craze that persists to this very day.

January 24, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. A Albritton

God bless Mr. Jack LaLanne. Jack has always been an inspiration to me, since I was a little girl. I used to watch him on television all the time. I used to think he was a superhero. To me, Jack set the standards in Fitness. Thank you Jack for educating the world. You will truly be missed!!
    Brief Notes about my idol Jack LaLanne from Wikipedia.com
    "After graduating from high school, LaLanne attended night classes at Oakland Chiropractic College in San Francisco and graduated with a Doctor of Chiropractic degree. In 1936, he opened his own health spa (gym) in Oakland, California and encouraged clients to better themselves through weight-training. LaLanne designed the first leg extension machines, pulley machines using cables, and the weight selectors that are now standard in the fitness industry. He invented the original model of what became the Smith machine.[7] LaLanne encouraged women to lift weights (though at the time it was thought this would make women look masculine and unattractive). By the 1980s, Jack LaLanne's European Health Spas numbered more than 200. He eventually licensed all his health clubs to the Bally company, and they are now known as Bally Total Fitness. Though not associated with any gym, LaLanne continued to lift weights until his death."

January 24, 2011 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
    • A Albritton

More information about Jack LaLanne:

January 24, 2011 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joan Carole

Many years ago my sister Bev used to work out with Jack LaLanne and his wife Loraine. Bev spoke very highly of him and said he was a funny and great guy. I admired his discipline about exercise and praise him for inspiring millions of Americans to take better care of themselves. What a great and long life he had. Anyone can die of pneumonia at any age. I believe he would have lived past 100 otherwise.

January 24, 2011 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sylvie

What an inspiration to everyone at any age, a real pioneer in physical fitness and good nutrition. Almost every gym today is based on what Jack Lalanne first started many years ago. He improved the quality of life for many, we thank him for that.

January 24, 2011 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mike E

I will never forget Jack and his dog Happy exercising on TV back in the 50's and 60's. Many people don't know but Jack has set many records and at one time had the world record for pushups. He also was into deep breathing way before it became popular. He was years ahead of his time. He also took many vitamins and anti-oxidenats which will prevent cancer. You will notice Jack did NOT die of cancer and thats why. If not for the pneumonia I'm sure he would have hit 100 easy. What a great man and his life a great testimony to clean living and avoiding smoke and drinking. Sitting on the couch will get you one thing..an early death!

January 24, 2011 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jay

My father lived to 93 and my aunt lived to 95. Neither followed any health regimen or exercised!

January 24, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Fausto

good genes!!

January 24, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • jams

Yep. I agree. Good genes help. My grand-dad died at 98 when he fell out of a hayloft, baling hay. Other grand-pop died while fishing in the Feather River, age 95. Both grandmas lived into their 90's and my mother is still alive at 97. None with Alzheimer's, and all remained active.

That said, eating healthy, getting exercise, etc. does more than, hopefully, prolong your life...it makes the life you're living more enjoyable, both mentally and physically.

Thanks for caring so much, Jack.

January 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Jay,It's not about the destination,it's about the journey,Jack had a great journey!

January 31, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |