Jack LaLanne dead at 96
January 23rd, 2011

Jack LaLanne dead at 96

American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, California, according to his long-time agent, Rick Hersh. He was 96.

The cause, said Hersh, was respiratory failure due to pneumonia. LaLanne had been ill for the past week.  His wife, Elaine, was at his side, along with his family and friends, Hersh said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Obituary
  1. Burt Kaufman

Jack LaLanne was/ is a hero to me for a more personal reason. He was the same age as my Dad. I’ve often thought of the two in the same breath, admiring them both, and one couldn’t but help to think about who would outlive the other. Odds would probably have favored Lalanne, what with his healthy diet and two hours of daily exercise. My Dad likes his meat, rarely exercises and his somewhat overweight. However he is a man of moderation, and it goes to show especially now, that perhaps exercise can be a bit over-rated, especially if done in excess. A few years ago, I purchased a plaque from Jack , himself, that hangs proudly on my wall . It features a young Jack with his dog (pictured here), along with a piece of film from his old TV show and a ‘Certificate of Authenticity,’ showing that my plaque was ‘#57’ of limited edition 1,500. Included is the handwritten note, ‘To Burt, Best of Exercise…’ and also signed by Elaine. I will prize this plaque especially now. I’ve been to Jack’s favorite San Francisco haunt, the legendary John’s Grill, where a salad is named after him. I hear the candles are lit tonight in Jacks honor. I will try to pay tribute, myself , over the weekend. One of the last true hnd colorful characters is gone. He will be missed but remembered by some of us and in pages such as http://www.OldiesCountry.com and http://www.SeniorCountry.org.
    jack lalanne,fitness guru,juicer jack lalanne,

January 24, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. brad fallon

A role model to every health conscious freak, a good man with a heart of stone, a hero in his own little way, a man worthy of praise for his contribution to the fitness world. We are gonna miss you Mr. LaLanne! Rest in Peace!

January 24, 2011 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
    • te

A "good man with a heart of stone?" That's rather contradictory, isn't it?

I'm sad his heart quit pumping, though, he was an icon.

January 24, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • jo

I am thinking heart of gold

January 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Edward

There will never be another JL, he gave so much to so many for so long he was truly a remarkable MAN!!!

RIP JL

January 24, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Edward

RIP JL,

You gave so much to so many for so long you were truly a GOD sent!!!

Shark

January 24, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. I care

RIP you did a lot for humanity....getting people to exercise !!!!

January 24, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. adam

I'm only 28, so I was not around during Jack's prime to see his amazing feats, but I will tell you over the years I have watched this man on tv with his power juicer, and some of his old archives and I have always been truly impressed with his dedication to health and fitness. The man was way ahead of his time. It makes me sad to see true american icons like this continue to pass. I really thought this guy would live forever, but he lived a good full life and contributed more then most. I think the best way to honor Jack and his life is to live by example!

January 24, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Patrice

AMEN BROTHER! Jack LaLanne inspired and educated so many – I am one and am deeply grateful.

January 24, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. K Cady

Jack was definitely way before his time, he was certainly instrumental in bringing about health awareness to our generation, pretty much invented interval training. At 42 he did 1023 pushups in 23 minutes, at 60 he swam the San Francisco Bay handcuffed towing a 1000-pound boat, when he was 70 he pulled 70 boats holding 70 people 1 1/2 miles handcuffed and shackled. Holy crap.
    "Dying's easy, any stupid person can die. Living is a pain in the butt. You've got to work at living. And remember the food you eat today is walking and talking tomorrow." ~Jack LaLanne RIP, Jack.

January 24, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. frankie

R.I.P.

January 24, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. Laney

Noooo!!

Good Lord, now we know we are old! Jack is gone.

This is terrible news. I LOVED YOU SO MUCH, SINCE I WAS 15 YRS OLD, I AM NOW 44 YRS OLD. YOU WERE AN INCREDIBLE INSPIRATION TO THE WORLD. YOU STARTED THE ENTIRE FITNESS WORLD. I THANK YOU FOR THAT, AS YOU WERE MY IDOL AND HERO.

REST IN PEACE, YOU WERE A DAMN GOOD MAN:)

XOXOXO

January 24, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. nate almond

A true hero of our time. I saw Jack at Redondo Beach and didn't want to disturb his tranquility by meeting and greeting him. Our deepest sympathy go out to his Elaine. Hope she will carry on the best she can in his memory, doing those things that Jack most cared for. They don't make them much finer than Jack.

January 24, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DPriceWise

Always admired Mr LaLanne for his character and discipline . He was a guru to lot of us , Watched him and worked out with him in my younger days. He was still as handsome and energitic at 96 as he was back in the years. He will be missed , but most of all he led us to a more healthy way of living. Look at that pic of him His dress suit was impeccable and his smile in his eyes that led to his beautiful soul. My prayers and condolences to his wife and family.

January 24, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. fatmama

Rip jack...u truely inspire me...even now that your gone! I dedicate every pound I lose from today on to your legacy! Live on jack!! Condolences to your wife and family, take it one day at a time,trust in God and believe in happiness...sincerely the gaona familia

January 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ken Glass

Elvin Silva
    Stick to the main subject on Jack LaLanne.

January 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Michael Armstrong Sr. Tx .

Now thats really good advertisement for physical fitness .

January 24, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bratimsni

I'm outraged, why did he die! People are just so stupid because they die. He needed to control his life so he didnt die.

January 24, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name* Miki

Ummm...really? He is supid for dying? You're an idiot.

March 10, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |