Jack LaLanne dead at 96
January 23rd, 2011

Jack LaLanne dead at 96

American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, California, according to his long-time agent, Rick Hersh. He was 96.

The cause, said Hersh, was respiratory failure due to pneumonia. LaLanne had been ill for the past week.  His wife, Elaine, was at his side, along with his family and friends, Hersh said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Obituary
  1. Suz

Pneumonia killed my aunt and it nearly killed me when I was a little kid... you could be the healthiest person on the planet, and it could still get you.

I think what I liked most about Jack LaLanne was his no-nonsense approach to living well. He advocated for nothing more than exercise and moderation – didn't believe in shortcuts (no-carb diets, acai berry, etc. – snake oil!) and just wanted people to eat less and move more. It has worked for so many people. Not all – but many.

Hope the silver lining of his recent passing is a renewed interest in his philosophies and practices.

January 24, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Shawn Navi

HI!

It great to see above, Please visit at which i have an attempt on Jack LaLanne Death at:

Regards

Shawn Navi

January 24, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. NonatoCastro

I'm vevy pleased. my condolations for the famyly.
    From , São Luís-MA BRAZIL

January 24, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kathleen

RIP Jack. You are now in heaven. Exercise, healthy organic foods, and a devout life given to God and Jesus will allow the chance to live past our earthly lives. If we live without too much sin, never forgetting to repent for them, and trusting in Jesus, we will live in heaven forever. God Bless you Jack.

January 24, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Klatu Berata Nicto

George Burns lives to a hundred on Martinis and Cigars, Jack Lalanne lives to 96? I expected him to be the first 200 year old still pulling cars with his teeth! I guess genetics is just as big a part of aging as a healthy diet and exercise. Either way, God bless Mr. Lalanne, he had a great and long life, and left his mark on many. May we all be so lucky...

January 24, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Abhay

RIP Sir Jack!! Your are truly a Nobel one!!! You taught the world to be vegetarian, eat healthy and workout!!! Inovator in Workout equipments too!!! First gym at 15!!

God Bless your Soul!!!

January 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeanne Buffa

I think the point of LaLanne's life is not the length of time that he lived, but that he managed to live fully every moment of that life. Exercise, good nutrition and generosity of spirit carried him throughout his life and, for that, he will remain an inspiration to many.

January 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carolyn

I got hooked on jacks infomercials. I finally got my mother inlaw to get me his juicer for Christmas I am proud to own this and I believe Jacks legacy will live on. He touched many lives !

January 24, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Aina Gonatelya

You're a moron.

January 24, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tom

Jack, I've always looked up to you. Thanks for the memories.
    Peace.
    Tom

January 24, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. rose

This news brings back so many memories of my mom exercising with Jack. It was a simpler time and his dedication to fitness was a true passion. He touched many lives I will never forget this icon. My sympathy to his family.

January 24, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jesse Metchik (aka..The Barefoot Surgeon)

Massage chain: Jack Lalanne and Jesse working together at Sherwood (Country Club...) for the Governor's Council of Physical Fitness and Sports in Calabasas. Jack was already in his late 80s and still he ran around like a little kid with so much energy. I lost a great friend and mentor.

January 24, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. thereisnogod

Me and Jack used to be steroid buddies back in the day !

January 24, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Siegfried

I agree with Mmmmm. Long life truly is a gift. In the physical world, this gift is AKA genetics. Since we can't really change our genetics in a meaningful way, the best course of action that we can take is to take charge of the body that we are given. This means diet and exercise. And IMO, nobody did it better then Jack La Lanne! RIP Jack... we're gonna miss you...

January 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Alex Mayfield

Jack LaLanne was such an inspiration for health for so many years, I can't believe he's gone! Everyone could learn a thing or two from his drive and passion for fitness. Rest in peace, Jack LaLanne. I came across a great article noting his accomplishments, it's worth a look... http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/01/jack_lalanne_will_shame_you_wi.html

January 25, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |