Jack LaLanne dead at 96
January 23rd, 2011

Jack LaLanne dead at 96

American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, California, according to his long-time agent, Rick Hersh. He was 96.

The cause, said Hersh, was respiratory failure due to pneumonia. LaLanne had been ill for the past week.  His wife, Elaine, was at his side, along with his family and friends, Hersh said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Obituary
  1. Jim

Joe; go back to work at McDonalds because you should not quit your day job. It's amazing how many trolls are on the internet that think they are 100 times more charming and funny than they really are.

January 23, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Colin

wow. great article. good job.

January 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rose

I can't believe how some people can be so disrespectful. It's just sad!!! RIP Jack!

January 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. james

I thought you were cool when I was 9....im much older now. I wish you made it to 100.

January 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John D.

Oh no! A friend and I were just talking about him the other day, how our mothers never missed his show. No fancy equipment for his exercises, just usually leaning against a chair for leg lifts, etc. RIP

January 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. A

Jack Lalanne will very much be missed, having lived the amazingly full life he led. Much like Chuck Norris, he deserves his own canon of jokes!

January 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Danny

I am 58. I rremember seeing Jack on T.V. when I was very young. He would have been in his 40's. Didn't look like it then. RIP Jack you will be missed.

January 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Terry Smith

I remember watching his show in the 50's. I was just a kid and I particularly remember him doing jumping jacks and his white german shepherd Happy. What a terrific role model he was. He will truly be missed. Prayers are with his wife and family.

January 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ryan H

A huckster who took from desperate people. It's about time.

January 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • BGK

Ryan H you are obviously filled w/ resentment and spite. Jack was a happy person who shared w/ others and educated them. You are clearly as ignorant as you are crass. Go eat some fried cheese dipped in ranch.

January 23, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan H

I'm neither resentful nor full of spite. I'm just calling a corporate shill out on his money grubbing ways.

January 23, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • RJT

@ Ryan H... listen, i made a comment a few minutes ago about younger people...blah blah. (I apologize) ... but this guy Ryan H is a doofus (sic?) and he knows it. He whole basis for importance is, "is he current, topical" etc. He probably is making his comments as a result of seeing Jl info commercials for selling a "juicer" machine. Ryan H knows "squat". AT AGE 80!!! JL handcuffed and shackled, towed 80 boats with 80 people from the Queensway Bay Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary. So FREAKIN RYAN H. SHUT THE HECK UP or PUT UP

January 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan H

Aww, it's cute when the old right-wingers get in such a tizzy.

January 23, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • RJT

ok... dude i am sorry. i have to go to bed. Im on SF time. You have zero...as in nada, idea what you are talking about. I am as liberal as they come. I believe that corporate amerc. is one of the most prevalent problems facing us today. Its really a matter of "you". take some time and look at all the comments relating to "you". You don't me to lecture you. The great abyss (internet) has done that for you. Bye...for good. Grow up and learn

January 24, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. rjt

ya gots to love younger people.... by and large they are the most ignorant, crass, and self absorbed people on the face of the earth

January 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan H

But you'll be dead before us, so we win.

January 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • RJT

thank you dude...a love it when people like you make my point more clear. go back to drinking now

January 23, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan H

Nah, I'll save my drinking until the generation that ruined America has all died off.

January 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • RJT

This ISSS the best. I love IT...!!! God i love it... Ryan H has actually brought in Politics. can you believe it? Ok Ryan .... I'm backing off now. I know a sicko when i see one

January 23, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bass player

I was sure he was immortal. what an amazing man. RIP Jack.

January 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GJ

January 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jim

At 60 and 70 years old he swam from Alcatraz to Fishermans wharf, handcuffed behind his back, shackled, and towing a row boat.

He did more for fitness than any other person. He loved kids and really encouraged women. A great man.

January 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jeff

F U hahaha

January 23, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ChollyGee

Daaaaammmmnnn!! An American Original, the Fittest Man Ever.

RIP Jack!!