Jack LaLanne dead at 96
January 23rd, 2011

Jack LaLanne dead at 96

American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, California, according to his long-time agent, Rick Hersh. He was 96.

The cause, said Hersh, was respiratory failure due to pneumonia. LaLanne had been ill for the past week.  His wife, Elaine, was at his side, along with his family and friends, Hersh said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Obituary
  1. Breh

I remember watching him as a kid and I don't think I've ever seen him without the jumpsuit. RIP Jack ! We all should be lucky to make it as long as you did.

January 23, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Betty

I remember watching his excercise show when it came in the mornings. He was the excercise work out guru before it became fashionable. He started it all. RIP and thank you for all your inspiration to get us fit.

January 23, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jim d

But 115 seems to be the maximum age limit for humans. be careful. there are bible literalists that really think people lived to be 900 years old.....

January 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathleen

If it's in the Bible, obviously it's true since that is the word of God. I don't understand why someone should "beware".

January 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JD

A fitness icon that changed lives. He will be missed.

January 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. wilt

sweet cun-t

January 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Name*barreto44

He was such a great person, he will be missed.

January 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. liz

The only place you can all read about his life in a recent article is in our local paper honoring him. He and his wife were always so adorable when they were out and about in town. He had such a great loveable personality. My condolences to his wife and their family. Please see below for a more complete article.

January 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ChollyGee

What's dumber than clowning a mans death is all the mock indignation directed at someone who chose to be tasteless.

Don't Feed the Troll.

Yahoiduvit?

January 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. wilks

For those that don't know:
    Jack LaLanne had a daily workout so tough, no one could beat him at it and claim it's $10,000 prize. Not even Arnold in his hay day. Jack wasn't about being immortal. He was about improving the quality of life for yourself. Good for your Jack!

January 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jzk411

R.I.P Jack...thanks for all of your contributions throughout the decades. I'm gonna go "Juice" something right now in your honor!!

January 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Myron

LaLanne was a constant in an ever-changing world. A delightful American icon.

January 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Catherine Wall

I remember my grandmother calling me in to exercise with her when Jack LaLanne's television show came on. He instilled the importance of taking care of your body in me at a very early age. My condolences to his family and friends. I'm sure you will all miss him terribly.

January 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. howard chrastil

l remember him on tv doing the execise show every day,so he execise all his life,lm sure he live to be a 100 or longer,l guess not,to bad

January 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

@simon ... whoa ... take your meds today? Chill, buddy, Howard wasn't putting Jack down. He meant to compliment.

January 23, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara N.

I was thinking what Howard was thinking . . . 96 is amazing, but perhaps we'd all like to believe that with extra-special care like the kind Jack taught us, we'd live to super-human age.

January 24, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Simon

96 is superhuman since most people don't live past 75. Get a clue and get off the donuts.

January 24, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Justin

O wow,

I thought this guy was going to live forever, literally. He was the epitome of a healthy lifestyle. He was physically active and looked great for his age (and probably someone 20 or 30 years younger than him). You'll be missed Mr. LaLanne. May you rest in peace.

January 24, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Thanks Jack

Thank you Jack for teaching us and giving us the tools. For those who don't know, many of the machines you see in gyms today were invented by Jack, but he never bothered to patent them because profiting wasn't his mission, but teaching the benefits of physical fitness was. Thanks again.

January 24, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  14. Gale

I am sure Jack's wife, Elaine might read some of the nicer things later on maybe. Yes, she is still alive as well! I remember watching them on tv when it was B & W! I was a kid then..I am 58 now with three grand kids myself now! I couldn't believe he was still alive until I saw him doing the juicing ads! He was amazing! RIP!

January 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Londa

I remember him too on the B&W TV. He was great! I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. What an awesome man!

January 23, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathie

amazing man – I too remember the BW show – dang I wish I could be as motivated! Sympathies to his family.

January 23, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karol

I am your age and remember my mother working out every morning with Jack. I remember he used chairs in some of his exercises. He lived a few miles from where my mom and dad lived when my dad retired; we would see him at restaurants in the area and my mother got to know him and wife. He was iconic and ever will be mister fitness.

January 23, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. outawork

I know you want to be first with the news, but just 1 line?

January 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

ya i agree , what did he die of ?

January 23, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daina

No kidding; CNN pusts out a novel when a waste of space like Lohan skips out of BF and gives Mr. LaLanne a sentence

January 24, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |