Flavor Flav opens fried chicken restaurant in Iowa
Flavor Flav is looking to "blow up your taste buds, man."
January 24th, 2011

Flavor Flav opens fried chicken restaurant in Iowa

Look out, Colonel Sanders. Flavor Flav has a fried chicken restaurant, and he's coming for you - starting in a small Iowa city.

The Public Enemy rapper and reality TV star opened Flav's Fried Chicken in Clinton, Iowa, on Monday with a business partner he met through a connection in Las Vegas, the Clinton Herald reported.

"My chicken ain't no joke. I ain't scared to go up against the Colonel, tastewise," Flav said, referring to chicken giant KFC, in a YouTube video of him frying chicken at Monday's opening.

The sight of Flav cooking at his own restaurant apparently won't be a one-time thing. He told the newspaper he intends to work at the Clinton location now and then to help draw customers. (Good news for the fledgling operation: If his trademark attire is any indication, he should have no trouble arriving to work on time.)

"You're going to find me in here working. … You're going to catch me in here seasoning up my chicken, flouring up my chicken, frying up my chicken. And not only that, but coming out here and serving my chicken to people," he said.

The idea for the venture came after Flav befriended Las Vegas restaurateur Peter Cimino. Flav cooked Cimino some chicken, and Cimino, duly impressed, had Flav sell his chicken wings at Mama Cimino's Pizza in Las Vegas, the rapper told northern Illinois news site SaukValley.com.

It was Cimino's brother, Clinton restaurateur Nick Cimino, who suggested he and Flav open a fried chicken restaurant in the Iowa city of roughly 26,000 people.

"He said, 'You know what, Flav? … What I want to do, I want to build you your first restaurant.' I'm like, 'Are you serious?' He's like, 'Yo, I’m dead serious, man. I’m going to go home, I'm going to build your first FFC restaurant,'" he told SaukValley.com.

Nick Cimino bought a building next to his own restaurant and got it ready for Monday’s opening, the Clinton Herald reported last week.

Flav, a 51-year-old New York native, told the newspaper he's developed his own special fried chicken recipe over the years, having grown up in a family that owned a diner and having attended cooking school in the late 1970s.

His chicken has "that deep down southern fried chicken" taste, and also has "some crisp going on up in there," he said.

"The taste … will blow up your taste buds, man," Flav told the Clinton Herald in an interview posted on YouTube.

Flav, who starred in the VH1 reality series "The Surreal Life" and "Flavor of Love," said he'll consider opening more FFCs after getting this one under way.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Food • Iowa • Music • Showbiz
  1. Charles

One has to wonder how many times, while cooking, he grabbed his crotch or stuck his hand down his pants to play with his junk. Come on, blacks love to do that especially whaen whites are watching or near. Make one wonder what a rapper would use as the secret ingredient.

January 25, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Whizola

Man, I'm glad the guy is FINALLY doing something costructive with his life....Flav...budding Entreprenuer. Wow.

January 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RESTOMAN

Frenchy,s in Houston ,Texas the best

January 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ROXY

I only with he would have called it "My chicken aint no joke"

January 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hirolla74

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh, boyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

January 25, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Eva

Any loss of human space exploration

I am wondering if he will get some English lessons?
    January 25, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse | Reply

Joe

I'm wondering if you will get some English lessons. Jamming a question mark at the end of a statement does not automatically make it a question. Hopefully this makes sense to you? I have doubts about your ability to understand my point?
    January 25, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |

Joe u had me in tears over this one"?" You are too darn funny LOL

January 25, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Flav's #1 fan

I think its fantastic! And for all of you that wanna talk s**t about Clinton, IA, we are better then all u people we support anything and everyone black, white, purple, or pink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go do something with your lives u are all immature!!!!! GOOD LUCK FLAVOR FLAV!!!!!! I BELIEVE IN U AND ALL UR HARD WORK!!!!! By the way this is coming from a white woman so HATE on that people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 25, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cornholio

Learn to spell, you illiterate hayseed.

January 25, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. billy5521

I will only go if they have watermelon as a side..And that is not a joke.

January 25, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. yvette

i sure as hell hope he wears GLOVES when handling chicken, and not just trying to expose all his damn "bling"!! can you say......"food inspector"?........NASTY!!

January 25, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cornholio

Will the featured drink be Brigitte Nielsens d**che?

January 25, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lisa Hampton

Some of my black people on here are missing the point. Regardless of what anybody thinks about Flavor Flav, he is a very smart man. He is embracing entrepreneurship and creating jobs. He is showing there are other things you can do other than make rap music. II wish him well.

January 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Umm..HELLLOO?!

I WANT SOME FLAVA CHICKEN!!

January 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CHKNLVR

Damn leave the racism ans stereotyping... I love chicken, and if I had the money guess what i will open a chicken restaurant!!!! I just hope he will have a franchise soon ...

January 26, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  14. segwenda blum

clinton, iowa. of all places. i am a black woman who has lived here for 35 years. and clinton is just like any other place,north south east or west we have our smart ppl and our dumb ones one that hate one ones that love.as for washing of hands lol ive walk out of and have worked at places where ppl dont wash there hands. u just dont know what type of person.work at these places.and thats at any restaurant in the world. i like chicken fish beans rice ,beef, some of every thing. my spelling bad but my point has been made. i wish him well and all that happen to get a job. in this small town.judge not .who of us can cast the frist stone?

January 26, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • brad

yea and I'm aunt jemima. you faker!!!

January 26, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |