Tough times for men and women in blue
Law enforcement officials hug each other Monday before a memorial service for two slain Miami-Dade police officers.
January 24th, 2011

Tough times for men and women in blue

As police in Florida prepared for the funeral of two Miami-Dade County police officers gunned down in the line of duty, shots rang out Monday in St. Petersburg, on the other side of the state. Two other officers fell dead and a federal marshal was wounded. Follow updates on CNN and affiliate WFTS-TV.

On any given day, such violence against police officers would be disturbing. But the fatalities capped a particularly violent 24 hours in the United States for the men and women in blue. Eleven police officers were shot.

“It is a very disturbing trend for all of us,” said Hal Johnson, general counsel for the Florida Police Benevolent Association. “Florida has never seen a streak like this. I don’t think anybody has.”

It is natural to search for answers, Johnson said, even if there aren’t any. The shootings do not appear to be related, and the motives may never be known. Declaring it to be open season against police officers seems dangerously simplistic, he added.

He sees the shootings more as acts of desperation.

“They are shooting at people they know have guns,” Johnson said. “I don’t know what’s going on out there, but I’ve never seen it like this. I do see the developing of a callousness. It’s almost as if shooting a police officer has lost its shock effect.”

Consider:

- On Sunday, four officers were shot in a Detroit police station by a man who walked in, firing randomly. Lamar Deshea Moore was shot to death by police so his motive may never be known, but local reports say a relative was awaiting sentencing for double murder. Two of the police officers remain hospitalized. For more, read CNN’s update and affiliate reports from the scene: WXYZ-TV and WDIV-TV.

- Two deputies were shot outside a Walmart in Port Orchard, Washington, near Seattle, on Sunday. Check out CNNKIRO-TV and KOMO-TV for the latest updates.

- A police officer is in a coma and in critical condition after being shot during a traffic stop early Sunday in Indianapolis. Check out WTHR-TV and WISH-TV for updates.

- In Lincoln City, Oregon, a police officer was shot Sunday night during a traffic stop. The officer is in critical condition. Check out affiliate KOIN-TV for more information.

Although they do not appear to be related, the weekend shootings follow two other violent incidents last week involving police officers, including the Miami killings and a slaying in Lakewood, New Jersey.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida • Indiana • Michigan • Washington state
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. Rob C

Amazing how nothing changes on this note. Let's do something.

January 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mikerz

It's a tough deadly time for everyone considering the number of police layoffs and increased violence.

January 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • metoo

Amen. It's looking like the start of a downward spiral.

January 24, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. nayan

Who says Taliban our biggest enemy... GUNS are biggest enemy.... Open your eyes people and stop thinking you need gun to protect yourself... I have lost few of my friends becuase of some animals got this pathetic toy called GUN. Stop GUNS... Dont be surprised one day your own kid will kill you with your GUN. Read history ... it will tell you GUN wipes out society....

January 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • mikerz

So your saying we don't need guns to protect ourselves while criminals have guns?? I guess I will just bruce lee the gun right out of their hand. Who are you kidding. The old statement is true, If guns are outlawed, only criminals will have guns.

January 24, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • sebastian

U will Never get MY GUNS!!!

January 24, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

If the production of guns and ammunition were allowed then only law enforcement agencies would have them.

January 24, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan Lee

The biggest ENEMY are far leftists who want to use tragedy to scare people into giving up their GOD GIVEN right to self protection, which would be the last obstacle to taking over the Country Hitler style.. Before we had guns, cave men had rocks to pick up & defend themselves with. Even if you don't believe God provided those weapons, at least be sane enough to think logical. They had weapons then, & when people decided to kill each other for whatever reason, they did. THERE IS NO UTOPIA..

Live in reality, where you must defend yourself until your dying day.. Yes, reality is difficult to face sometimes, I agree. It's very harsh, but there are no better options, other than this:

Educate people on resolving their issues through negotiation, & reasoning, & teach them that force is a last resort.

There is a inalienable truth at work here, & that is that humans only respond ultimately to two things: Reason, or Force. In a civilized society we opt to try reason first. Good Police officers do this themselves, & corrupt ones go straight to the FORCE. This segways into a discussion a about our public school systems, & what our kids are being taught (or not taught), & the lack of moral guidance in the home, but that is a whole other long discussion. The bottom line, is that the country is losing it's Moral true north, & if it does not get back to a moral discussion, it will self destruct. EVERYONE will suffer.

January 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. FParanha

I hate to telll you, but statistics show that owning a gun makes you more likely to get shot – not less likely.

January 24, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim NJ

I hate to tell you...that the statistic you reference is a farce created by an anti-gun group that included SUICIDES in their calculation. A suicide isn't an accident....its deliberate. Let's turn the hypothetical around....if you don't have a gun in your house you are more likely to be killed by a home invader. This scenario happens everyday too.

January 24, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Sorry TimJ but people with guns in the house are much more likely to be killed by their own guns than by the gun of an intruder. Just be careful and GOOD LUCK!

January 24, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim NJ

@ Dave.....so you think more people are killed each year in gun accidents (non-suicide) than are killed by criminals? The statistics don't agree. P.S. I don't need luck because I'm always careful...I'm trained and certified...never have a loaded gun in my home, never have an unsecured gun in my home but if I need it I can be ready in about 15 seconds. Guns are a last resort for defense....I have an alarm, I have a dog, I have a phone by the bed.....i hope the police would be there in time....but if not....I have a much better chance of survival than an unarmed resident.

January 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Neil

Lawdy Lawdy the killings are a mess!!

January 24, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Xtreme Sports Performance

Wow, what a sad day for these heros, people nowadays have no respect of fear of authority. People have no remorse about police officers and they frankly dont care who they hurt. No one should be killed this way especially those who are working all day and night trying to protect us when we're in our homes sleeping and not knowing whats going on out there. Its shocking!!! Stay safe and shoot them before they shoot you!

January 24, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. The EnD

What's the point ??? Suppose all those law abiding citizens have their guns > > > all unloaded, locked up in safe and out of the reach of children. So, when you go out there, you don't carry your gun around fully LOADED and ready to shoot >>> NO. So then, some 1 out there has real intentions to end your time > he's all ready and loaded with it, he'll finish his job and end you. he'll NOT wait for you to take your gun out, load it and let you say, "hey now i am ready and lets do the firing" !!! Summary – ALL legal (guns possessed with license) and illegal guns should be banned. Otherwise the results are right in front of you > 10 cops shot in 24 hours !!! ( well, these are just the cops, what happens when your kid takes the gun in his backpack to the school ?????)

January 24, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cop's wife

After the funeral in NJ last week i've had an awful feeling in my stomach. my husband is a police officer in NJ. I thought it would get easier after the funeral, but no. now he's off to work, to do the same job that these men were doing. Its hard enough when he's busy and doesn't have time to text or call while working- but then I read the news and see these awful things... the past week and a half I've feared for his safety every minute he's in that uniform. sometimes when he's not. May God take care of these brave men and women.

January 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim NJ

Dear Cop's Wife: I can sympathize. My father is a retired cop. If its any help...you should know that although law enforcement is a dangerous job its less dangerous than many others including: Farmer, Taxi Driver, Roofers, Steel workers, Pilots, Sanitation workers. In fact, police officer is not even in the top ten most dangerous jobs. You are right to be proud of your husband....police officers and other first responders are true heros. I know from my Mom that being a cop's wife takes some courage too sometimes.

January 24, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fred

"It’s almost as if shooting a police officer has lost its shock effect.”

Yeah, well, police officers shooting civilians has kinda lost its shock effect too.

January 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • confucius

I totally agree with you Fred. Police think they're something special and they're not at all. I guess shooting civilians isn't shocking either. I personally don't feely sorry for them and think they're getting what they deserve. Just not from me. karma is a b**** All thse cop-lovers here love cops until they get their own horrid personal experience- then they'll change their tone. police? Get a real job. One that requires a degree, as opposed to carrying a gun and terrorizing people.

January 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Clarice

Also, I was driving one day going over a steep hill. I was going about 35MPH and when I got over the hill, a school bus had stopped on the opposite side of the street and wa sletting out kids. I put on my breaks and stoped in time. I looked to my right and a man ran from his house up to my car and banged on the hood yelling that I needed to stop for the bus. I indicated I was not aware there was a bus since I just came over the hill. He proceed to whip out his badge that was located on his belt. I thought he was going to whip out his willie at me. He said he was a police officer. I said thats nice and sicne I did stop within the requireed distance he could go back in the house. He became very upset at me for 'disrespecting' him. I said for him to go get counseling since he coul dnot control his anger. He said he was in therapy already.

Loser cop.....?

January 24, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jboo

Sure Clarice – you said all that- just as it happened. You did nothing wrong at all..... And the sun set in the east and all was good..

January 24, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. justin

I wish we could outlaw vehicles too. I'm tired of car wrecks killing people since vehicles are killing people in auto accidents just like guns are killing people. Get a clue people, if more people carried firearms crime would go down plain and simple. Take the steps to get properly trained and exercise your right to bear arms!

January 24, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

People die in car accidents while doing something essential and completely sensible....driving. On the other hand, people die from gun shots accidental or not because the person shooting the gun was doing something unessential and stupid........holding a gun.

January 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ned Racine

If only more people had guns, this kind of thing would not happen!

January 24, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Downinfront

Clearly Palin's fault.

January 24, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. phoenix

get back a christian society no cops no perps its the knucklehead heathens fault.

January 24, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mg123

america and their guns....

my sympathies to all the officers killed or injured.

January 24, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • metoo

...all the countries that aren't america and their preferred methods of killing each other. My sympathies go out to them.

January 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |