Tough times for men and women in blue
Law enforcement officials hug each other Monday before a memorial service for two slain Miami-Dade police officers.
January 24th, 2011

Tough times for men and women in blue

As police in Florida prepared for the funeral of two Miami-Dade County police officers gunned down in the line of duty, shots rang out Monday in St. Petersburg, on the other side of the state. Two other officers fell dead and a federal marshal was wounded. Follow updates on CNN and affiliate WFTS-TV.

On any given day, such violence against police officers would be disturbing. But the fatalities capped a particularly violent 24 hours in the United States for the men and women in blue. Eleven police officers were shot.

“It is a very disturbing trend for all of us,” said Hal Johnson, general counsel for the Florida Police Benevolent Association. “Florida has never seen a streak like this. I don’t think anybody has.”

It is natural to search for answers, Johnson said, even if there aren’t any. The shootings do not appear to be related, and the motives may never be known. Declaring it to be open season against police officers seems dangerously simplistic, he added.

He sees the shootings more as acts of desperation.

“They are shooting at people they know have guns,” Johnson said. “I don’t know what’s going on out there, but I’ve never seen it like this. I do see the developing of a callousness. It’s almost as if shooting a police officer has lost its shock effect.”

Consider:

- On Sunday, four officers were shot in a Detroit police station by a man who walked in, firing randomly. Lamar Deshea Moore was shot to death by police so his motive may never be known, but local reports say a relative was awaiting sentencing for double murder. Two of the police officers remain hospitalized. For more, read CNN’s update and affiliate reports from the scene: WXYZ-TV and WDIV-TV.

- Two deputies were shot outside a Walmart in Port Orchard, Washington, near Seattle, on Sunday. Check out CNNKIRO-TV and KOMO-TV for the latest updates.

- A police officer is in a coma and in critical condition after being shot during a traffic stop early Sunday in Indianapolis. Check out WTHR-TV and WISH-TV for updates.

- In Lincoln City, Oregon, a police officer was shot Sunday night during a traffic stop. The officer is in critical condition. Check out affiliate KOIN-TV for more information.

Although they do not appear to be related, the weekend shootings follow two other violent incidents last week involving police officers, including the Miami killings and a slaying in Lakewood, New Jersey.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida • Indiana • Michigan • Washington state
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. Melissa

This is why we should be saying "Thank You" to Law Enforcement Officers, instead of crying about the ticket they just wrote us. They never know what the next traffic stop will involve. They never know if they are going to have the chance to take their uniform off when they come home. They never know if they're even coming home to their family. I make sure I kiss my fiance every morning and tell him I love him, because he is a Deputy. I know and understand that every morning when he goes to work, anything can happen. These "cop killers" should fry! There is NO excuse for it at all!

January 24, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • GOTTHUMBS

Exactly, My brother is in law-enforcement. Many/95% citizens have no idea what police go through on a daily basis. I challenge you all to do a ride-along with your local police. You will then see what they deal with each time they deal with the public.

January 24, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Claudio

Unfortunately the police are harvesting the effect of years of increasingly harsh sentencing in the criminal justice system. This creates a far more desperate class of criminal who won't lay down so easily if they know that they face life imprisonment for some ridiculous "third strike your out" law for drug offenses or a long stretch without parole. Nowhere else in the western world are penalties so harsh.

January 24, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • GOTTHUMBS

Are you that stupid....??? It's because criminals are coddled to and do not have any real fear of immediate punishment. Shelter, Cable, warm bead and 3 meals a day. There are citizens who don't have those. Criminals are revered in certain cultures...emulated...Look at the lame trend of wearing saggy pants...That originated from prisons. Harsher punishments and actually terminating violent criminals is the only way to re-establish law and order. Swift punishment for those criminals who we know for a fact committed the crime. Like this twit who shot the Arizona politician and those other innocent people. He should be taken out and shot.....today. Forget spending a million dollars on his defense and than taking care of him in prison for the rest of his life....

January 24, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • dawn

I don't support the drug laws because aside from the fact that they don't work, and haven't for over twenty years, they are also an infringment on individual personal property rights. I do, however, support punishments for those who harm others because of what they choose to do.
      But I certainly don't think that our criminal justice system is too harsh.

January 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Gary

It appears that the firearm advocates are losing the argument.

January 24, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Matty

This kind of story is just another attempt by liberal media to help liberals tighten gun laws even though 81% of crimes commited with guns are stolen firearms or ones that people get illegally. All tightening gun law do is restricting law bideing citizens from purchaseing them.

January 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. EarthBrother

People are becoming more wicked, violent, selfish, lovers of self, etc. Humanity is on a steep decline and a speech by Obama about how we should all be kind to one another has no impact because society is only going to get worse and the person you can trust will be few and far between. Get ready!

January 24, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • dawn

You are so right. The heart of man is on evil continually, and his imagination is constantly dreaming more vile filth.

January 24, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. GOTTHUMBS

Respect for authority and lack of accountably enforcement has led to this. It will only get worst. I fear for the police serving us. I could not do their job. Dealing daily with the worst of society and having to deal with the disrespect thats showered on them for thugs just waiting for a lawsuit opportunity. Only when we as a society begin to raise our expectations of our citizens and residents. will this trend reverse. Only then. If I were in law enforcement...I'd be tasering chit for brains left and right. There are quite a few who are needing a sever beating. Maybe we just send them to Irac or Iran and see how great things are there. Too many in the US take thier situation for granted....even those who are within the lower class. It could always be worse. Band together and pull yourself up. Take pride in yourself and change your life, instead of waiting for someone to do it for you. New Orleans was an eye opener to many. This is the level of survival skills that will control the population. Theft of tvs and a killing in the o dome. Everyone waiting to be taken care of...what about that boy to took a school bus and drove a group of people out. Smart young man. Too bad there weren't more adults with that level of brain power.

January 24, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • beenthere

Odd, I fear the cops. When a minority can get punched and/or beaten for jaywalking, or just for being a minority, it's no wonder the people are striking back.

January 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dan Lee

Of course, many of you are wrongly politicizing shootings here that have nothing to do with the 2nd amendment, or Political struggle. Pretty disingenuous, & really easy to see through.. Criminals will ALWAYS get guns, & try to kill anyone who tries to stop them.. Your Utopia only happens in CGI, & cartoons.

Guns don't shoot people, people shoot people.. Just like Cars don't drink & drive, or drive recklessly by themselves, but people drink & drive, & drive recklessly.. Wake up!

January 24, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bob

Sarah must be so proud.

January 24, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Northeast PA

listen i hate sarah just as much as the next guy, but this article has nothing to do with politics, it has to do with the freaking dirt we have living in this country ... we have to find someway to cut down on these killings

January 24, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • FreedomBaby

Just curious. Why do liberals hate police officers? Every day they wake up knowing that they may have to put themselves in harms way to protect someone who thinks they're dogs. These men and women are true blue heroes. I am so thankful for what they do.

January 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • jams

These people put their lives on the line every day for us and have died, too, yet there are those that complain about them getting retirement benefits......

(Yes, I know, they chose their profession, however, the majority of people wouldn't last a week in the job – they'd quit.)

January 24, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ant

I feel for those officers and their relatives that are "good" cops. Unfortunately, many Americans have met too many of the bad ones. I never met a good one until I was 26 years of age. At the age of nine I had a cop put a gun to my head and ask me what I was doing while walking home from school. I never forgot that nor the countless times since then that I have been harassed for nothing. It's pretty bad when you can get pulled over with a suit on simply because you fit the description of someone that just robbed a liquor store.

January 24, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • PD Wife

What's the solution? Simple:don't release the garbage back into the streets when they finish up their jail time. Let them rot in jail. They are not going to change, they don't get 'rehabilitated' in jail, they just go back to their old ways. The costs associated with dealing with these criminals every time they get arrested can be used for lifelong jailtime. And have the 3-strikes and your in jail for life policy country wide. These animals need to be permanently removed from our communities.

January 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • DYBO

If they knew that they would serve their time by being outsourced to a third world country at a great cost savings instead of one of our posh prisons, they might reconsider doing the crime if they know where they will do the time.

January 24, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rene

Whatever happen to 'you reap what you so'? Or just plain Karma! I lost respect for the ones in blue! They are liars, thieves, thugs, and drug dealers too! They have killed many innocent people. They taser that old lady who could have been his grandmother! They have no respect for others, so to a lot of people the feelings are mutual! I don't condone violence of any kind but it's a boomerrang!

January 24, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeff

Sorry, we have a FAIR justice system – that means the punishment fits the crime. People don't get life sentences for petty crime just because YOU or society sees "garbage" – that's a mockery of the court. And as long as we value our safety and freedom, rehab programs WILL stay in place. I'd rather an ex-con learn to operate a cash register than be released unemployed and holding a grudge against mainstream society.

January 25, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
    • jeff

January 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Northeast PA

FreedomBaby I was a cop and yes i'm a liberal that owns a gun, guess what the problem is.........there are just way too many people living in this country, couple that with poor parenting and there you go......you have a large group of people with no respect for anything in this world

January 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerimiah

I lean RIGHT, but I'm NOT a Sarah Palin fan. The cops in this country becoming targets for lunatics has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with immorality, crime, and a lack of mental health support in this nation. Stable people don't run into a police station and start shooting people. Someone who cannot deal with stress and anger anymore does stuff like that.

Obama didn't do this, Sarah Palin didn't do this. The Devil did this.

January 24, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • como1

bob get help you need it.

January 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • K9Kop321

People, we have to realize that the "fear mongering" that the far right uses to influence and scare people does have an effect on how some unstable minds think. There are people out there that are on the edge and hat all forms of government and when they see Fox news spewing nothing but anti Obama and anti government rhetoric they may snap. Fear can be used to influence and manipulate, if you dont believe that just look at how Hitler came to power. Im not saying that the far right is like the Nazi party I am just using it as an example.

Also that being said, I am a police officer and for one to say that all Democrats or Liberals hate cops is stupid and closed minded. All I can say about this subject and how it relates to politics is this. If you look at some, not all of the police shootings and killings several are from Right Wing extremists who think that government is putting them down and that government is being enforced by police. So police get the brunt of it. Perhaps you all should approach things with an open mind and for sure dont just watch one news organization. Watch both sides, then make YOUR decision.

January 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • L in Seattle

How about finding out if the criminals who shot the cops this weekend actually were politically right wing or left wing before picking a political party to blame it on? And I'm curious, which of the cop killings are you referring to that were perpetuated by right-wing extremists? Which ones were by left-wing extremists? And BTW, I do watch news from more than one news organization specifically to get both sides of news stories, and I see a lot more liberal commentators on FOX than I ever see conservative commentators on the other channels.

January 24, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • settino

you mean there is a right and left "thing" when someone shots a police officer?

January 24, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seriously

you are going to blame right talk radio for these shootings???? Are people not responsible for their own actions anymore? Do we not have a thought in our own heads? Please we need to take responsiblity and stop blaming others for their actions. that is what wrong with our Country. Everyone is quick to place blame but not to own up to their actions. It is not radio, TV, liberals or conservatives fault. It is the person who pulled the trigger. We all need to realize that the media has turned into a circus with their own agenda's rather then news. We need to stand up and think for ourselves!!

January 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

Hey Bob...and you dimwit Liberals wonder we kicked you out of office in November... moron.

January 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Just out of curiosity what part of NEPA are you from? I'm from Kingston. Chris Rock had a pretty entertaining solution. Forget gun control just make every single bullet cost no less than $5,000.

January 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marc

Great idea. I make my own. I'll make a fortune. Keep pushing that.

January 24, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Numbaoneballa

The pigs are finally answering for their crimes.

January 24, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Honor480

No. A few of the cowards that shot at the police got away.

January 25, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Manny

u r a retard

January 25, 2011 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Samb499

sounds like someone has answered for a crime or 3 themselves.
      How come the only people I ever hear who call Officers "pigs" are those on the wrong side of the Law, looking over their shoulder and hiding their dope in the grandma's nightgown drawer?

January 25, 2011 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth

He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither. F4ck the police

January 25, 2011 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Bone crusha

He who types his worthless opinion all the time deserves to be assaulted by the cops. Also I know the truth and you my friend aren't the truth.

January 25, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
    • NewEngland

To "TheTruth" you are either a total idiot or a career criminal but most likely both. You would be the first calling for the police if you ever needed them. It's your tunnel vision and broad lack of education that fuel your own frenzy and simple life.

January 25, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • DeputyDoRight

I'm a police officer and I am a liberal and I like the people I work with. I am a liberal because of all the experiences I have had as a police officer.

Riddle me that FreedomBaby

January 24, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TomJoseyWalkes

This is sad. But it is to be expected that in a time when corporate crime - like the environmental Holocaust in the Gulf, the bankster bailout, the decade-long occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan with no WMDs and no Osama Bin Laden - goes unpunished, unstable people will react violently. If the good people give up their guns because of the actions of the unstable elements, they will be completely at the mercy of any tyrannical government that happens to come to power. The people of England fell for it, gave up their guns, and now live in an Orwellian police state with CCD cameras watching their every move, citizen snitches associated with the police department, and other nightmarish scenarios.

January 24, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

expected?
      are you nuts? get on some meds!

January 24, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • TomJoseyWalkes

I said that it was to be expected that unstable people would react to unjust conditions in this way. It is NOT GOOD, and I don't like it.

January 24, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

watch The First 48 on A&E, that will tell you who we have to go after. It's fairly obvious where the majority of violent crime is beingg committed in this country. My hand is always close to my 357, I've used it in self defense and never looked back!

January 24, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • TomJoseyWalkes

I'll check it out sometime. Thanks for allowing me to clarify my comment. I'm sad for the grieving families of the officers.

January 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C

Get help.

January 24, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • FreedomBaby

those are your issues. has nothing to do with cops getting killed.

January 24, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • YOU Suckers

WOW! I my sentiments exactly.

January 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • FreedomBaby

January 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • TomJoseyWalkes

I too respect the police officers for what they do, and I'm sorry that so many have died.

But as the economic conditions of the United State continue to deteriorate due to systemic corruption of the leadership, more and more of the crazies will react violently.

And I don't know how defending the right to bear arms makes me a liberal.

January 24, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yossarian

TomJoseyWalkes sounds unstable.

January 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • detsea

why do ignorant people think liberals hate police officers? yes, freedombaby, you are ignorant.

January 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommas

Agreed Tom! If police don't want to get shot stop breaking into people's homes. Whatever happened to the bull horn "come out with your hands up".

January 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuckmartel

You are a demented imbecile.

January 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • csrat

Wow, inability to focus much?
      Bad guys with guns, bad economic situation, the steady decline of hope. Can that other baloney and try to remember your pet issues aren't everyone else's water cooler banter.

January 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Commojoe

Buddy, you are a complete IDIOT!! NONE of this had ANYTHING to do with national politics or any foreign policy. Get a ____ing grip AND a life, please.

January 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pras

Let's honor those people in uniform that put their lives at risk. Take a moment to sincerely think about what we could do as individuals to make a positive difference in the violent culture we are in, and act on it.

January 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • ed denoy

They are shooting at target that they KNOW are armed and will shoot back. Doesn't this make a trash heap out of the NRA's idea that a well armed populace is a safe one. As for me, I will support England's cameras and Orwellian surveillance over in exchange for the 'privilege' of being able to walk the streets in safety at night.Times have changed.We need to stop the shootings.We have put up with it for much too long. Even if you are packing,when the killer wants to kill,he or she knows they have to get their shots off first and close.So good luck all you pistol packing cowboys.There will be no fair gun fight like in the movies.Its more like snipers in wartime you are facing.

January 24, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • I Agree

Yeah and the reason why they havent put the boot down on countrys like England and Australia yet is because they know if they do, not only will they not get our guns, but we will use them and take back our country. Janet Reno said the goal is total disarmament and when they do the population cleanouts will begin and with no citizenry armed there will be nothing to stop them.

January 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Northeast PA

I've been honestly thinking about moving to Canada, they have their sh!t in order when it comes to treating human beings like human beings .... seems like in this country there are way to many puds, at least that is all the news tells me about

January 24, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinToronto

Don't come to Toronto, because it's the same crap here. Just 2 weeks ago, Sgt Ryan Russell of the Toronto Police Service was run down by a snowplow. First officer killed in the line of duty in 11 years. Real shame.

You get these kind of doughheads all over the world, unfortunatly. Be good to everybody around you, and hope that everybody else does the same. I understand the need to proyect oneself, but unfortunatly, there are too many crazies out there that get access to them too. Something needs to be done.

January 24, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • gums32

I am with you brother I have the same thoughts as you.

January 24, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Northeast PA

Markin i agree something needs to be done, but what? That is the big question.

January 24, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kailey

It's just as bad here in Vancouver: the acts of one officer are being spread across the whole police force and citizens are increasingly hateful towards police even when unprovoked. I wouldn't be surprised if before long it turns into the states in this respect.

January 24, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinToronto

NorthEast- If I had the answer, I'd be rich. Gun control, tougher sentencing, automatic death sentences? wish there was a simple solution. I'm not a paranoid person, but it scares me the kind of world that we are leaving my two young children. Maybe it's the fact there are more people in the world, and we have access to it 24/7, any where we are, but I wish I could go back 50 years.

January 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • settino

Toronto. Exactly, he wasn't shot

January 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinToronto

Settino- Does it matter that he wasn't shot? We have officers getting shot here too. Guns just aren't as common.

January 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Northeast PA

Markin, i'll repost what i posted above, I was a cop and yes i'm a liberal that owns a gun, guess what the problem is.........there are just way too many people living in this country, couple that with poor parenting and there you go.....you have a large group of people with no respect for anything in this world ..... yes our children our in for a tough life, that is for sure

January 24, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Thing is, this happens in Canada and it's a major shock. Happens in the US and it's sad but not unexpected. It isn't that it happens that is so disturbing, it's that it happens so often we've come to think "yet another shooting" instead "who is dumb enough to shoot at an armed lawman?"

Some it is bad parenting creating people who have zero respect for others. Some of it is disturbingly easy access to firearms that were designed for the exclusive purpose of killing humans in as large a number as possible. Add in a society that has yanked the social safety net out from under those who already were on the edge, an economy that is very slow to replace jobs lost, and a system of health care that can't keep the people who need it most comfortable much less handle the complexity that is mental health. Then layer the whole thing with a justice system that is too under-funded to keep the ones who will go out to commit crimes locked away and where programs that try to reform or even prevent criminal behavior by at-risk groups are the first thing that gets cut to fund some politicians donors tax cuts.

A friend aiming to be a therapist described it to me as building an air-tight she out of sheet metal, filling it with dynamite and open containers of gasoline, then being surprise when the whole thing blows up when someone throws in a light match. We created this situation by neglecting to look at long-term results, focusing all our efforts on short-term gains, and now people are trying to figure out why things got so bad. It's just like the infrastructure here; the system worked for years but when people took it for granted and stopped maintaining it things started breaking down.

January 24, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dan

It is dangerous times for everyone in this country, not just police officers. Everyone's life is equal. Wether it is a civilian or a police, soldier or elected official, a life is a life. No one is above the other. Every murder should be treated the same, except when criminals kill each other.

January 24, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

I'm glad you made that point. It's sad to see anyone loose their life but why is it so much more important when a police officer looses their life compared to a blue collar father and husband who gets killed in some random robbery. A life is a life and there should be as much of an out cry for the hundreds of thousands of "civilian" deaths as there is for a LEO death. they arent any better or more significant than we are.

January 24, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kailey

It's true that every life should be equally valued. However, isn't it an extremely senseless death or injury when someone is targeted just for wearing a uniform and when they did nothing to provoke an attack?

January 24, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

Yes all life is equal. But police officers give up their life for 100's of people they are tyring to protect by putting themselves in to risky situations. We don't do that everyday. The police officers life needs to be given utmost respect.

January 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

It is worse because there are a very limited supply of officers to protect us. The population is growing much faster than the police force, where as fathers are a dime a dozen. I know that sounds cold hearted the way I put it, but those are the facts. If a father dies, crime won't get worse usually, when a police man dies, that is one less person keeping criminals in check.

January 24, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerimiah

Jo – It's true that a cop's life with worth no more or less than any other person's life. HOWEVER, anyone who's willing to kill a cop is truly dangerous. If you're willing to attack an armed individual, who's trained, and who's job it is to defend the public, and who's job it is to put you in jail for whatever stupid thing you did, then you are willing to kill anyone.

You know society has gotten bad when so many folks are willing to kill police officers. Gang bangers don't think twice about killing some other punk. But killing a cop means you bring heat on everyone, not just yourself. It means there's going to be a flood of cops, not just street retaliation. Killing an unarmed civilian is one thing. But seeking out and murdering armed police is a whole different story. That tells you that this person's state of mind is very dangerous.

So yes, we should be crying out when cops get gunned down, or stabbed, or run over, or whatever method is used to kill them. Because when society turns against it's police, nobody is safe. Nobody.

January 24, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ant

Why is there not a flood of cops when a civilian gets killed? Gang bangers will kill non cops with impunity only because they know cops only protect their own. If the reaction was the same in both instances then I guarantee you that there would be less killings.

January 24, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • mp1adam12

Re: Ant – Cops do come out in droves for "civilian" murders...now the level of cooperation they are given by those who "don't want to get involved" or who want to take the law into their own hands is another story. If you believe a murder is given a manila folder and put on the corner of a desk to gather dust, you're wrong. There are entire units dedicated to solving these killings.

January 24, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • VRP

What a dumb thing to say. All lives are equal followed up by except for criminals. They are either equal or they are not.

January 24, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harvey G.

Hey Dan, no, not everyone's lives are equal. I could'n care less if a convicted child rapist. was killed in prison. A police officer is there to protect you. He or she is thefirst line of defense for you. Obviously, you have little respect for them. What are you an office worker? How many lives did you save last year. Yes, almost every life is precious for you,but not for me and not for muderers and that's the reason I believe in the death penalty.

January 24, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ron

Chris Rock had the best idea: Make bullets cost $1000 a piece. Since we can't get rid of guns make the ammo super expensive. Even if sold on the black market they would still be very expensive. It would make make even criminals think twice about if they really want to spend that kind o cash shooting someone. Joke or not Chris Rock nailed it.

January 24, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • BajaJohn

I said it first after Arizona. But hey, who cares who gets the credit?

January 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

in your and Rock's dreams@

January 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoeD

That’s brilliant. Law abiding citizens will not be able to afford them but criminals will just steal them and use them in their illegal guns.
      Maybe we should solve our nation oil problem by charging $1,000 for a gallon of gas too!!

January 24, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Glen

Chris
      rock is a comedian. Your statements are just stupid.

January 24, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • D.C.

Excellent idea! We could start a whole "War on Bullets", where instead of kicking in the doors of meth labs, our LE officials could focus on illegal ammunition labs. It's as easy to make and reload your own bullets as it is to make meth, only the materials are easier to get. Think of the boon it would give to the Mexican drug cartels. Only now they'd be called Mexican drug and ammo cartels. I'm sure the inner city gangs would really enjoy another source of revenue from selling reloaded ammo.

January 24, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Skilltes1

Sounds like EVERYBODY (not just cops) is in harms way as long as these unstable lunatics keep running around with loaded guns shooting at whoever they wish...but everybody wants to have the right of carrying a loaded weapon around until it's one of their family members that is killed or injured then it's a different story.

January 24, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shooter 357

Sure, however you can reload your own ammo with a simple press machine in the garage or basement. I reload my own ammo and re-use the brass many times. It's cheaper than buying bulk factory ammo. My buddy even has molds to cast 9mm, .45, and other calibers from led. So with this logic you need to ban lead, ban brass, ban gun powder, ban primers, ban forks, ban knifes, ban cars,.. etc. Where does it stop?

You gun haters are truly retarded to think that banning ammunition or guns will stop criminals or insane individuals from committing murders? All it will do is create lucrative black market industry to manufacture ammo and guns.

January 24, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. blackbeered

Haven't they brought it upon themselves?

Whether it's their "god" syndrome, corruption, union efforts to extort more from taxpayers ... whatever.

The country would be better off if we rid ourselves of the bunch we have now and started all over again with a new crop, trained with the right values [ala what the government did with the bloviated air traffic controllers of c1980s].

January 24, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Disgust

Yea maybe you should be a cop...

January 24, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • steven

if guns kill people then pens misspell words

January 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

That's just stupid...

January 25, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Carefull

I have a hard time understanding this blanket statement. I have family members that have been ill-treated by police and yes I know they are not a perfect bunch. But, there are others that are quite good at what they do. Let's keep trying, and reward those that do well, weed out those that don't, and please don't shoot them. One of them is also a family member, he is one of the good ones, and we would miss him.

January 24, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • deeny

I agree,not all police officers are bad ! but some people don't understand what they are exposed to, everyday!! dealing with, drugs,guns,death....i rather have my children signed up to be a police officer , than have them on a coner selling drugs,or stealing!!!

January 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yossarian

Oh good, another edgy "F the Police" troll coming out of the woodwork.

January 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • dan Mick

There is a gun shop 3 blocks from my son's preschool. Every day I look and see beat up old hoop d's with people low caliber people inside buying high caliber weapons. It's Time for heavy gun control, sorry NRA but you just don't get it.

January 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Criminals do not shop at gun stores. But i do love the way you judge people from a distance. Why don't you walk in to the gun store, and find out for yourself? If its anything like my local gun store, your going to meet some great guys.

January 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • N

Mexico has pretty heavy gun control.. Look how well that's going.

January 25, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • VRP

blackbeered, you are an idiot.

January 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer From Afar

Here's my policy: When I see blue lights behind me, I pull over. When asked questions, I answer cheerfully and truthfully. I choose not to break the law and I expect my family members, friends and employees to follow the law. I have neither physically assaulted nor pointed a weapon at a Police Officer, Deputy, Trooper or Federal Officer. Thus far, I have not been beaten up or shot by the Police.

January 24, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • davesmith

does that mean it dont happen to other people. just because it have not happen to you yet!

January 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. johnrj08

Nahhhh! This country doesn't stricter gun control. After all, people kill cops, not guns. If God had wanted men to be unarmed, he wouldn't have given them trigger fingers, right? So let's all just roll with this and join the NRA.

January 24, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • sburg

I'm already a member;)

January 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not All Docs Play Golf

I'm amused when people speak for God. Or, to you, is is GAAAWD!

January 24, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • settino

dumber that that, you die!!!

January 24, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not All Docs Play Golf

I'm amused when people speak for God. Or, to you, is it GAAAWD!

January 24, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JD

Can someone say GUN CONTROL!

January 24, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

yes gun control, it worked so well on alcohol control and our current drug control, Im sure they were just anomolies, I bet it would really work this time........not

January 24, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yossarian

I'm in favor of the sort of gun control where the person with the gun controls which way the muzzle is pointing, preferably not in a direction that will get somebody injured or killed.

January 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |