Tough times for men and women in blue
Law enforcement officials hug each other Monday before a memorial service for two slain Miami-Dade police officers.
January 24th, 2011

Tough times for men and women in blue

As police in Florida prepared for the funeral of two Miami-Dade County police officers gunned down in the line of duty, shots rang out Monday in St. Petersburg, on the other side of the state. Two other officers fell dead and a federal marshal was wounded. Follow updates on CNN and affiliate WFTS-TV.

On any given day, such violence against police officers would be disturbing. But the fatalities capped a particularly violent 24 hours in the United States for the men and women in blue. Eleven police officers were shot.

“It is a very disturbing trend for all of us,” said Hal Johnson, general counsel for the Florida Police Benevolent Association. “Florida has never seen a streak like this. I don’t think anybody has.”

It is natural to search for answers, Johnson said, even if there aren’t any. The shootings do not appear to be related, and the motives may never be known. Declaring it to be open season against police officers seems dangerously simplistic, he added.

He sees the shootings more as acts of desperation.

“They are shooting at people they know have guns,” Johnson said. “I don’t know what’s going on out there, but I’ve never seen it like this. I do see the developing of a callousness. It’s almost as if shooting a police officer has lost its shock effect.”

Consider:

- On Sunday, four officers were shot in a Detroit police station by a man who walked in, firing randomly. Lamar Deshea Moore was shot to death by police so his motive may never be known, but local reports say a relative was awaiting sentencing for double murder. Two of the police officers remain hospitalized. For more, read CNN’s update and affiliate reports from the scene: WXYZ-TV and WDIV-TV.

- Two deputies were shot outside a Walmart in Port Orchard, Washington, near Seattle, on Sunday. Check out CNNKIRO-TV and KOMO-TV for the latest updates.

- A police officer is in a coma and in critical condition after being shot during a traffic stop early Sunday in Indianapolis. Check out WTHR-TV and WISH-TV for updates.

- In Lincoln City, Oregon, a police officer was shot Sunday night during a traffic stop. The officer is in critical condition. Check out affiliate KOIN-TV for more information.

Although they do not appear to be related, the weekend shootings follow two other violent incidents last week involving police officers, including the Miami killings and a slaying in Lakewood, New Jersey.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida • Indiana • Michigan • Washington state
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. steve

as long as you die hard liberals continue to protect the vermin in this world, this is what will happen. these thugs have no fear of the law, because they will serve 20 and be out much earlier to continue their ways. i say give the police full authority and have them blast away when they are justified. i'm tired of protecting the vermin of this world while good people pay the price. once a few libs get knocked off things will change.

January 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • settino

Steve, were you born dumb or does this come natural to you?

January 24, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • mosville

Hey Steve I'm a liberal and I feel like punching you in the face! You are disturbed to think the answer is more guns .. how about body armor for men in blue since some of the cops got gunned down in the station where presumably they had many guns at their disposal but they are still dead arent they.. maybe nut jobs like you are the real problem??

January 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • GSLATT

Ok Steve, just one question: Who gets to decide when "blasting away" is justified?

January 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

Ok thats cool. Can we shoot them when its justified?

January 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • sburg

there u go blaming one party or the other again. why don't both parties be constructive and do what we're paying the people for. not doing anything doesn't work either obviously. maybe its time for something that most people probably want democracy. NOT A REPUBLIC LIKE ROME democracy like ancient Greece. everyone voted not for representatives for what they want to happen. this republic will fall but in the end i shall still have my ak47 and 357 mag.

January 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommas

Yeah or maybe there would be room for them to stay in prison if conservatives didnt start a war on drugs, locking up millions of non violent criminals!!!

January 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. steve

The answer is obviously more guns. Our police forces need more guns to fight the American citizens who
    have many guns. Give the each policeman at least twenty guns each to counterbalance the American citizen knuckleheads who have six to ten guns. I hope the NRA is listening. This is on them.

January 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yossarian

Your statement didn't become any less stupid the second time you posted it.

January 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • biglio

not more guns, just bigger guns, let's bring back automatics, bazookas, rocketlaunchers, Tanks, granades, etc.
      After all it's people that kill not guns....

January 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Disgust

My fiancee has been a police officer for 3 years. He went to college and got a bachelor's degree but decided he wanted to protect and serve his community. He has been in several dangerous situations throughout his short career but that hasn't stopped him from serving. He has stopped hundreds of drunk drivers. He is a good guy and has saved lives. It disgusts me what people say about cops. Sure there are corrupt cops... but there are corrupt people in every profession. You can't generalize about all cops just like you can't generalize about any profession. There's a TON of good cops who work hard and put their lives in danger every single day for YOU. Cops are never the good guy when you get a speeding ticket but when your life is in danger, who protects you?

"Time to earn their pay....catching bullets." Who writes stuff like this? Why don't you stand in front of a criminal with a gun? Let's see how scared you are. This is just crazy and disgusting. This is what is wrong with this country. No respect for the people who do what you don't want to.

Spend one day as a police officer or one day as the spouse of a police officer.....

January 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinToronto

Couldn't have said it better myself. People have their heads too far up their asses to realize how the real world works. People like your fiancee are heroes. There needs to be more of them in this world

January 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kailey

I, too, am engaged to a police officer and I echo your sentiments directly.

When it's not acceptable to make a blanket statement and say all civilians are gun-toting, violence-loving thugs, why is it acceptable to "justify" killings of all police officers when only a few act improperly?

January 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carefull

I agree, many of these statements are really out of line. I know through experience that sometimes police can make bad decisions, and some of them can be real jerks. Some of them are even stupid and get caught being jerks on their own video cams. But, many are not, and if it were not for the police, good and bad, all of us would be in a world of hurt because there are many out there that would just love to see them all go away and have a whole bunch of rookies replace them. I smart, experienced cop who does his/her job well is to be commended. An abusive cop should a) loose his/her job and go to jail if that involved actions that would be considered criminal if done by anyone else.

It's all beside the point, really. NO ONE should be a target because of what they do, that is just plain wrong. I might not call the police if I need help in domestic dispute because they really can't help. You can only help yourself in times like that..but if someone steals my car or breaks into my house I will call the police and hope they can help. I'm glad they give out traffic tickets...just imagine what it would be like if there were no threat of getting caught doing 50 in a school zone.

January 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bosco

Oh good, my Fiance has a college degree... in what? Table Tennis, Phys. ED, Library Science.... I am sure that he hides in the bushes waiting to write that horrible motorist a speeding ticket for going 10 mph over the limit. I bet he is a real lifesaver and you should be so PROUD!

January 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denidoo

well said. don't let it get to you, it's usually those who do illegal things all the time that dislike cops so much. they tend to get in the way of their good time

January 24, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • catmomof13

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones. A police officer is the bravest person on this earth, as well as the most under appreciated.

January 24, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Im sorry disgust but I really cant share in your sempathetic views. Of course I'm sure this comes from your life experiences as my views come from mine, and where Im from the cops...meaning all of them havent done anything to make me, my family, or friends feel like they are there for me. I cant remember the last tciket I got and I have never been in trouble with the law so from that aspect I have to say I think my opinion is rather objective. You know your fiancee at home, but I cant help but believe that as a police officer he hasnt abused his authority. It's human nature that when put in a position of authority people use it to their advantage, good or bad. I really dont want to hear complaints about being in dangerous situations because it was in the job description when he filled out the application. Thats like a football player complaining about having to run too much. I know some police officers personally and they will be the first to tell you there are more shady cops than there are straight and narrow ones. Dont be blinded by the love you have for your fiancee and believe that he's Robin Hood always looking out for the good of the people. He working, it's a job, he a a cop just like the rest.

January 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • atlantaGA

Completely agree with you! My boyfriend got his MBA, and even after entering the business world, his desire is to serve and protect on the police force.

All professions have good and bad people working in them...we are all human. Teachers have faced the same sort of blanket criticisms. Just because you've encountered a few bad officers or teachers or whatever...it does not mean they're all bad. People tend to make these blanket criticisms for no other reason than their own personal insecurities.

I also think that the number of crime dramas on tv has diluted the severity of challenges often faced by those in uniform. On tv the cop always gets the bad guy...the cop is also usually semi-attractive, in perfect shape, supernaturally smart and quick, etc... In reality, we are all human, and any human who is able to put themselves daily in such high pressure situations deserves a big of respect!

January 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Disgust

I don't feel like I have to stand up for him... I think he does enough for the community. But he is a good guy and I know that for a fact. His whole department is full of good people. That may be because they all have 4 year degrees and get paid more than the average police officer. I truly believe a lot of the corruption comes from poor pay in some areas of the country. And yes he is my robin hood. You don't know him or a lot of other police officers so again you continue to generalize and say that all cops are corrupt. He has nothing to be corrupt for or has any reason to abuse his "power".

And there are corrupt people in every profession as I mentioned before... I'm sure there are corrupt people that work with you. In case you haven't noticed the country is full of liars and dirtbags but not all of us are bad people.

January 24, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • MoreDisgust

The police are not "heroes" or "saviors". They're just civil servants, which means they draw a check that is paid out of the taxes provided by those in this country who actually produce wealth. I lost all respect for the police, firefighters, and other such tax leeches after hearing a former neighbor who was a fire chief brag about the "gravy train" he was riding at taxpayer expense. Now some fools will undoubtedly get all worked up about my comments here, but I couldn't care less. I am sick and tired of these self-aggrandizing government employees who would have us believe that without them we'd all be dead or worse. It's a con-job that panders to the pervasive lack of self -responsibility that permeates our culture today and you people lap it up like pigs at the trough. Disgusting indeed.

January 24, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • biglio

completely agree but I would love to know your fiancee's opinion about gun control....seriously, we need to follow what good cops say at this regard. Otherwise we will end up like Cheney and company sending our kids to war without having the faintest idea of what it's about.

January 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris

Armed police are being murdered by guns? So, the answer to gun violence isn't to arm yourself? Those nice folks at the NRA are saying that having a gun keeps you safe. They said the problem with too many guns is to get even more guns. Now, I don't know what to believe. Why would the NRA lie? Maybe if the murdered police had even more guns this might not have happened. If only everyone could carry 3 or more guns then there wouldn't be any shootings. Or something.

January 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

I'm a cop. I carry 3 guns every day: One in my holster, one hidden on my vest and a rifle in the trunk. Can't be too prepared when people like you blow a gasket.

January 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Stephanie: if you truly are a cop your response just answered why this is happening.

January 24, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

I am. You come do my job. See what we're up against. You have no idea. I work in a war zone. Where do you work, Chris? Do you have to fight for your life at any given moment? I'm not just riding around looking for elitists to write tickets. This ain't Mayberry. I need as much protection as I can get my hands on.

January 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I was a California Highway Patrol officer in west Los Angeles from 1990 to 1997. I worked during the Rodney King riots in South LA. I know very well what it is like. I left the department in 1997 after getting fed up with officers "testilying" (knowing lying under oath) in court. This act is rampant in LAPD, LA Co Sheriff and CHP. I went back to school and got a new job where I can treat people with respect rather than being reprimanded for having integrity.

January 24, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

What does that have to do with gun control? Go fight crime with your stash of acorns you squirrel.

January 24, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arizona

Stephanie – So in your opinion Gun should be banned or not? I believe if guns are banned your and our peaceful lawful residents life will be safer.

January 24, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arizona

I have to make cop needs to have guns civilians dont.

January 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I responded directly to your previous statement. Now that you see you are wrong you resort to name calling. That is the police mentality I spoke of initially. Please grow up or resign.

January 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • biglio

Stephanie, if you are a cop you are one of those giving a bad name to the force.
      Actually you are giving a bad name to stupid people too (not all of them are THAT stupid)

January 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liza Null

It's Stephanie's "Us against Them" mentality that gets innocent people KILLED. She's so quick to pull the trigger she don't have time to find out who's who. Let GOD sort 'em out, hey Steph??

January 24, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sharon

Things are happening all around look, here and listen the world is soon going to end
    destroy and hopefully the next life will be better than this.

January 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

The other problem – to much religion.

January 24, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ron

Problem is not the guns! It's the bullets!

January 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • geryy pase

Correction: Well aimed bullets kill people.

January 24, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • GSLATT

The problem is not the guns! It's the gun OWNERS.

January 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Actually it could be a skin design flaw.

January 24, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Smallmansion

These are days we are living in.

January 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yossarian

Seems to me that there are nights we're living in too. Do you have an actual point?

January 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mel

I drive around that area of St. Petersburg all the time. Theres a split between race in the city. The south side is for blacks, and the north side is for white. The shooting happened in the south side. Fuel to racism once again. Sad.

January 24, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Smallmansion

How unfortunate.

January 24, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. heather

@Peter You hit the nail right on the head! You reap what you sow

January 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. matt

yea this is just sad...:(

January 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. YoMod

No Gun control means lunatics get guns easily.

January 24, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • settino

correct! Lunatics like you!

January 24, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Diane

What will it take for Americans to realize that there are too many guns out there? Its ridiculous how easy it is to get a gun in this country. I guess violence is just a part of our culture. Sad.

January 24, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • sburg

what will it take for Americans to realize there are too many fast food restaurants here. if its not regulated then everyone will be obese. see the double meaning in that. people are the problem not guns. look for a solution to the problem not the symptom.

January 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. FreightVT

Atleast they didnt shoot each other like the police did in Baltimore last week....they don't higher the "best" anymore, its based on hiring quotas and a clean background, no life experience or post high school education required. What's the old saying, "if give a monkey a gun/badge and he kills someone or gets killed himself, do you blame the monkey?" It will only get worse as the number of desperate/suicidal people continues increasing and they misplace there frustrations, hate and failure toward an isolated experience deep in the past with one of these "bad" cops. Wait til their pensions require another bailout, then nobody is going to want to be a cop except the bottom of the straight edge barrell. Hate breeds hate, copycat suicides are more persistant than ever...I'd hate to be a cop, although my concentration and degree is in criminology.

January 24, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nick

Enjoy your cesspool of violence, hate, and fear America. This is what you created. But hey, at least you've got Wal Mart, SUVs and Sarah Palin, right?

January 24, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve houston

And you enjoy your cars, TV, films, internet, phones, airplanes, advanced medicine...just to name a few. ALL of which were either created by or developed by the United States. Without us, the rest of the world would still be riding donkeys and communicating by smoke cignal.

January 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amerrica

My country would kick your countrys a$$

January 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |