Tough times for men and women in blue
Law enforcement officials hug each other Monday before a memorial service for two slain Miami-Dade police officers.
January 24th, 2011

Tough times for men and women in blue

As police in Florida prepared for the funeral of two Miami-Dade County police officers gunned down in the line of duty, shots rang out Monday in St. Petersburg, on the other side of the state. Two other officers fell dead and a federal marshal was wounded. Follow updates on CNN and affiliate WFTS-TV.

On any given day, such violence against police officers would be disturbing. But the fatalities capped a particularly violent 24 hours in the United States for the men and women in blue. Eleven police officers were shot.

“It is a very disturbing trend for all of us,” said Hal Johnson, general counsel for the Florida Police Benevolent Association. “Florida has never seen a streak like this. I don’t think anybody has.”

It is natural to search for answers, Johnson said, even if there aren’t any. The shootings do not appear to be related, and the motives may never be known. Declaring it to be open season against police officers seems dangerously simplistic, he added.

He sees the shootings more as acts of desperation.

“They are shooting at people they know have guns,” Johnson said. “I don’t know what’s going on out there, but I’ve never seen it like this. I do see the developing of a callousness. It’s almost as if shooting a police officer has lost its shock effect.”

Consider:

- On Sunday, four officers were shot in a Detroit police station by a man who walked in, firing randomly. Lamar Deshea Moore was shot to death by police so his motive may never be known, but local reports say a relative was awaiting sentencing for double murder. Two of the police officers remain hospitalized. For more, read CNN’s update and affiliate reports from the scene: WXYZ-TV and WDIV-TV.

- Two deputies were shot outside a Walmart in Port Orchard, Washington, near Seattle, on Sunday. Check out CNNKIRO-TV and KOMO-TV for the latest updates.

- A police officer is in a coma and in critical condition after being shot during a traffic stop early Sunday in Indianapolis. Check out WTHR-TV and WISH-TV for updates.

- In Lincoln City, Oregon, a police officer was shot Sunday night during a traffic stop. The officer is in critical condition. Check out affiliate KOIN-TV for more information.

Although they do not appear to be related, the weekend shootings follow two other violent incidents last week involving police officers, including the Miami killings and a slaying in Lakewood, New Jersey.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida • Indiana • Michigan • Washington state
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. Name*Jbsubmariner

My heart hoes out too those families On both ends of these tragedies,desperate people sometimes resorts to desperate acts sadly

January 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. content_pessimest

All of the recent police shootings have been done by blacks.
    NJ cop killer(1 dead) – Jahmell Crockam(arrested) BLACK 1/16/2011
    nypost.com/p/news/local/police_arrest_suspect_in_nj_cop_LjmqklyGraltxYBVuARe3H

Miami cop killer(2 dead) – Johnny Simms(killed) BLACK 1/22/2011
    miamiherald.com/2011/01/22/2029038/cop-killer-was-given-breaks-squandered.html

Detroit cop shooter(4 shot) – Lamar Moore(killed) Black 1/23/2011
    clickondetroit.com/news/26594465/detail.html

Indianapolis cop shooter(1 shot) – Thomas Hardy(arrested) BLACK 1/23/2011
    wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/marion_county/suspected-shooter-has-lengthy-record

St. Petersburg, fl. cop killer(2 dead) – Hydra Lacey (killed) BLACK 1/24/2011
    wtsp.com/news/topstories/story.aspx?storyid=170556&catid=250

January 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shooter 357

Shhhh... The libtards are color blind, we can't profile muji at the airport why would we address ghetto culture or deal with criminally insane. We need to ban guns, thats the answer to all problems.

January 24, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sburg

and u believe that the US is better? we've had how many people die here? this is lawlessness idiot its America your on your own. he with the biggest stick shall win.

January 24, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tommas

Google: "utah man killed in police raid"... when police invade someone's home someone is bound to get shot. What ever happened to "come out with your hands up".

January 24, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. OjaiGuy

This is happening all over. There was a Ventura County Sheriff's Deputy her in Ojai that was attacked by a mentally ill man when she responded to a 911 hang up. He was having a fight with his parents, who wanted him to get help, and he attacked them. The mother tried to call 911, but he ripped the phone out of the wall. When the Deputy arrived and went to the door, the guy attacked her. It was hand to hand combat for her life. He got a hold of her Taser and shot her in the face with it. She struggled to get her gun, he got a hold of that, pointed it a her head and squeazed the trigger, but it didn't fire. They struggled for the gun some more, she got a hold of it and shot him in the leg, then retreated outside and called for help. This happened just before the incident in Enon, Ohio.

One of the root causes is criminals serving short sentences, crowded jail conditions, early releases, and tossed back into a bad economy and expected to survive.Another reason is lack of services and treatment for the mentally ill. The streets are full of sick people with no hope. They have no business being out.

reported my concerns to authorities about a guy who was staying at a local shelter. He was deterioratiing rapidly. Finally, after having stabbed his own brother, he killed a guy in a halfway house for the mentally ill. I told them he needed to be in a more secure facility.

We're pretty much on our own.

January 24, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommas

Or we change our drug laws, stop arresting non-violent criminals and turning them into such.

January 24, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

wow and i thought my job was hard , i must give it up for the police going out there knowing this might be their last day on earth , so for all you idots out there mocking the police try their job for a week then say something BI... TCH

January 24, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TEE

Pls let US transfer 1ST OFFENDERS over 5yrs jail term and any 2ND OFFENDER to AFRICA , place like Nigeria to serve their jail term. Seriously when they come back they will not remain the same. It is CHEAPER. I cant bet with you they wont die but definitely they will be CHANGED. I bet you they wont wanna go back.

January 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. disgruntled

We need to stop being so damned lenient with criminals and less critical of the police or citizens who kill them. If Jamal busts in my home I will put rounds in to him with the full intent of killing him, I would hope an officer would do the same. I'm also tired of seeing idiots on TV saying BS like "OOOOHHHH HE WAS SUCH A GOOD BOY....HE WOULD NEVER HURT NO ONE" after their idiot of a son just shot three people in a convenience store. And then people feel sorry for him? Not to mention the denial about what ethnicity in this nation is responsible for the large majority of violent crime, but that's ok liberals, blaming who's really at fault isn't "politically correct".

January 24, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

There's a lot wrong with everything you wrote there, big guy. First you are comparing a home invasion to police brutality, two entirely different things. Police shooting "jamal" outside a gas station because they thought he had a gun and it turned out to be a slurpee should warrant a reaction from the community. Secondly you make this about politics and take a jab at liberals. I'm a liberal, I own guns, I respect the police. No, I don't racially profile people as it's wrong. I know you are trying very hard to justify your bigotry but where do you think conservatives stand on racial profiling? Do you really expect your demigod Glenn Beck to say on his show that we need to start being prejudice against blacks because statistically speaking they are at higher level to commit crime than whites? No, of course not.

January 24, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • ed denoy

The problem is when "whoever" busts into your home he is going to shoot you dead before you get a chance.Unless you keep your gun unlocked and loaded and in your hand 24/7. Do you ?

January 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • disgruntled

Yes, I do keep a loaded weapon near me when I sleep and Paul it's not my problem that you refuse to see race is a problem when it is. Keep your lovey-dovey view of the world, I wish I could figure out where you got your rose tinted glasses.

January 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • jamal

Most serial kilers are white yep

January 24, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • bunger

yer ignernt

January 24, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

diguntled

I'm just wondering, are you Jared Loughner? If you are how did you get access to a computer from jail?

January 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • GhostBurns

I suspect you're the kind of person that lets a child fire an automatic weapon at a gun show then blames everyone but yourself when tragedy strikes. Perhaps you believe creationism is a credible idea, or maybe even you even agree with churchs picketing Military funerals. What is blatantly obvious however is that you are the person that starts a fight, not the one that ends one. Disgruntled? How about being disgruntled about all the white trash that defines you and your kind as little more than ass backwards Historical revisionists who think slavery was the equivalent of abortion laws, that man walked with dinosaurs or that George W Bush was somehow a good president and Barack Obama isn't. You reek of a certain kind of retarded Hypocrisy like all the Tea Party. I'm sure you think Sarah Palin is somehow intelligent and representative of you and you'd vote anytime for her. That sums you up. Don't bother voting, please. Don't pretend you understand anything about Christ or Christianity, you don't. And most of all make sure to not comment on subjects that only reveal the real you, the one that accepts beating kids and women, hates other races and cultures and probably knows less about American History than NFL History. Just stop you embarrass yourself, your gender, your race and our country.

January 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • wise one

Uhhhhh....do you have any facts to support your opinions, or is this just you ranting about the complexities of the world for which you have no understanding? It would be real nice to have the world be so simple; unfortunately, "disgruntled," the world is not so simple. You are a jack-ass. Don't be mad cause you got a little dinger. Bahahahaha!

January 24, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Realist

I profile, but those who say they don't, are liars. It is what it is. Look at the stats, they speak the numbers. So I say profile based on the stats. If it leans towards a race, profile that race. Crap happens. Profile I say!!!

January 24, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

When police officers stop thinking they are above the law, and when they stop exercing their authoritarianism, then maybe things will change. Police officers are PAID PUBLIC SERVANTS. Citizens pay their salaries. Yet they have weilded their positions like the gustapo. So you can expect to see more of this.

January 24, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • disgruntled

Ghost: You can continue to make your assumptions, all I will do is laugh. Someone like you is so far gone that it's not even funny any more, it's pitiable. Like I said I hope you guys enjoy your rose colored lenses, those of us with minds of our own will continue to see the world as it is and treat people the way they deserve to be treated. I don't know where anything I said advocated violence against women and children, I advocated violence against criminals. Nor did I ever bring religion in to it, of which I barely follow, but that's ok you'll continue to associate me with hardline Christians because that's what you people do. In return I'll just associate you with the loonies who think the moon landing was faked.

Jamal: Most petty criminals, violent criminals and rapists are black, in fact they make up the majority of crime in the US. Those of you asking for facts/stats only need to do a quick search on google. You guys are the ones avoiding the issue sbecause you treat everyone with kid gloves until they disagree with you, unless they're a minority.

January 24, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • JaiJai

You are totally right *clap*clap*

January 24, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

r u on ACID wow dont feel sorry for you at all smuck

January 24, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • JaiJai

to disgruntled: at least someone is saying it! Recently there have been several police officers shot, some killed, in the line of duty, and well let's just say it wasn't a caucasians perpetrators. And in the city i'm from, which has always been low in crime compared to big cities, has had Four drive by shootings in the past 6 months, (one at a school bus full of children), and each one of those shootings were by the gangster thug wanna be groups. Any race that wants to participate in so called "gangsta" criminal activities are wrong, but what disgruntled is clearly trying to state is that we all know what race predominantly does this! Sure its not politically correct to say, but we all know it's true. shrug

January 24, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

So wait a minute let me get this straight. You basically say you don't like blacks, and then say you treat everybody how they should be treated, and then fault somebody else for making an assumption about you while at the same time you are making an assumption about all blacks.

Do you realize how stupid you sound? Probably not, the really stupid ones never do.

January 24, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nelson

I agree with disgruntled, how many of these police have been killed by Blacks? 95% it seems......What the Hell is wrong with you people? It is what it is, oh but we can't say that, it would be Racist......Who cares anymore? Blacks in this country are a huge problem that needs to be addressed.......I am sick of seeing our Law Enforcement Officials being killed by these Black thugs that no one it seems want to offened. Enough was enough a long time ago!

January 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • disgruntled

Let me paraphrase a friend of mine "Judging a person by the color of his skin is retarded, but judging a race by the content of its characters is just plain rational."

January 24, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • SoTrue

Too bad you don't decide who lives or die. Pack-up your back of bigotry and go home.

January 24, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

I read that post through about 4 times and I've been trying to respond with my feelings about it..... All I can come up with is.." you are a freakin idiot!.... However I do agree with one thing you said on home invasions. I know this article has nothing to do with home invasions but I do agree that if a person breaks into my house day or night, he or she has lost all thier rights. They are going to get shot.

Now for those who want to slam the cop that shot the kid with the slurpie...... Have you ever walked in that policeman's shoes? How many times have you looked down the barrel of a gun and thanked God at night that the idiot on the other side of that gun couldn't shoot very well.... I've been there..... He was wrong and he will pay dearly for his mistake but don't judge him as a bad cop that just wanted to shoot a kid until you walk in his shoes just one day.

January 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • En.

Disgruntled you are allowed to get a gun but you have no comprehension of the english language. People like you ugghh people like you are driving us into the ground.

January 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • WhiteCrime

the real criminals are the whites. go read some fbi reports about who commits the biggest crimes and ends up shutting down precincts because they are illegally taking money out of county funds, forcing foreclosures with their manipulative sneaky practices. All whites, asians, indians, etc doing this to their own races as well as others. Whites, asians, jews, indians, are the real criminals here, don't be fooled.

January 24, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • sowhat?

ok, let's say that what you said was true. That (as you said) blacks caused the majority of crimes.
      So what now!? you wanna round them up and tag them? you wanna ship them all out of US?
      What!?!? What's the point of your comment? all I see is you making even bigger trouble...

January 24, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nursehope

Pig. It depends where you live regarding the ethnicity of the perp. Here in Eugene Oregon the VAST majority of criminals are white lower class . Get a grip and start to look outside of your ghetto. Not all ghettos are dark...plenty are light as snow!

January 24, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harry

I want to call you a tool, but that doesn't seem quite right. Racist tool. Yes, that's it. You are a racist tool. I hope you choke to death on your own filth. The world will be better when you are gone. You still here? Shame.

January 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Very Sad

No one life is more or less valuable than the other, be it the life of a police officer or the average citizen. All life have purpose and value or no ones life does. However, is it at all possible that these attacks on police is the result of years and decades of bad policing? Where many departments routinely ignored and even covered up bad cops getting away with brualizing and attacking innocent citizens? Is it coming back to haunt us now? Many experts predicted there would be a backlash to years and years of ignored police brutality against citizens. It's just a thought, but maybe that's what is happening here. So sad for us all.

January 24, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clay

You are absolutely right, disgruntled. Like yourself, I am on the far right. The very far right. We should probably just fingerprint every single black person in America in advance so we them on file when they commit a crime. It makes no difference that Adolf Hitler, Jack Kevorkian, Jeffery Dahmer, Ted Kaczynski, Ted Bundy, Dennis Rader, John Gacy, and Timothy McVeigh were all white. I think we should treat all people differently based on what ethnicity they are. Lets set it up so that blacks have their own facilities seperate from others so if they hurt somebody, its just another black person. I should probably apply for a gun licence so I can own a firearm since my girlfriend is black. We have been dating over two years now and with her working 30 hrs per week to become a nurse in addition to going to school full time, she must be planning something really evil. I mean who does that? Who works that hard and is so well liked?

This is exactly why we are still so far behind in America. Dr. King had a dream that all men would be treated equal, yet many on here have stated they profile and will treat others differently just by how they look. It is so sad that this is still occuring in America. People are not treated equal at all. People are not judged on an individual basis, they are judged by some of the peers some of whom, they don't know at all. At any rate, I should probably watch my back since my girlfriend and one of my best friends are black. Perhaps, we should all watch out for you since you seem to possess some of the traits of the next infamous serial killer here in the U.S. I wonder which group of people you will target?

January 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nimrod

Disgruntled, a bit of a rant, but I think your points are pretty on target. It is certainly true that blacks are disproportionately represented in the criminal class, as are hispanics. In the area where I live, there aren't really many blacks, so the hispanics tend to fill the criminal ranks, but also compromise the largest part of the middle class and business owners, schoolteachers, doctors and lawyers. "Racial" profiling has (probably deservedly) gotten a bad name, however profiling in and of itself is not such a bad thing. When you see blacks or asians or hispanics, or good ole white boys, that appear to be embracing the gangsta culture (baggy pants, prison or gang tats, blinged out teeth, etc.) it seems perfectly legitimate and reasonable to me to take them at face value and treat those folks as if they actually are who they are professing to be. I neither fear nor mistrust decent, upstanding, blacks, asians, hispanics, etc. I take them at face value too. As someone who personally knows at least two private citizens who have successfully defended themselves against home invaders by employing deadly force, I agree completely with your take on how to meet an assault on your person or property. For those of you who question the ability of one to stop an intruder if you have to go unlock your gun and then load it, I say you are absolutely correct, so the solution is to keep a LOADED gun where you can get your hands on it quickly if need be.

January 24, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. AndrewAFB

Stop the hate coming from mainstream, mostly right wing pundits and media. They are really pushing a lot of unstable individuals over the edge, it's only a matter of time before we see another tragedy. Hold them accountable and responsible for inciting murder, violence against the government, for planting distrust fear and loathing in the hearts and minds of vulnerable people who are subject to this garbage day in and day out... on Rush Radio, FoxNews (Hannity, Beck, Palin, O'Reilly...etc.) you get my drift. The other day I sat and listened to one of these shows by accident for just 20 minutes and I can truly understand how someone who listens only to these stations and channels can be pushed over the edge.

January 24, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Well said.

January 24, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fric

Who the hell did you blame stuff like this on before they were around? Crimes like this have been around for a long, long time, so to blame atrocities like this on people that live and breathe today is kind of, well, would only be to serve your agenda. Most folks deal in facts, not hypothesis.

January 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • L in Seattle

Funny, but my brother listens to left-wing pundits, and when I've been at his house and the radio is on, the guys on the left sound just like the guys on the right, only directed at a different set of people. Grow up. Hate walks both sides of the aisle.

January 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher

All right you have a point, but what about the people like the self proclaimed reverand jesse jackson. I think everyone agrees that he does more to hurt race relations than to help them. He makes money off of stirring the pot. If racism was not around he would be out of an occupation!

January 24, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Black people don't listen to right-wing radio yet they commit far more violent crime than any other group. How is that possible?

January 24, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • linnora1

If you look at crime rates, you'll probably see a stronger correlation between education (and income) vs crime than race vs crime. If a particular race is responsible for a higher proportion of crime, I doubt the color of their skin is the cause.

January 24, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • cookiemom

It is not any political party's fault . The prison system , mental health care budget cuts , and lax parenting contribute the crime and outright disrespect we are seeing. Mommy and Daddy running little Jr's rescue instead of letting him be punished , making excuses for your kids and the parents who aren't parents. The ones that are too self absorbed or to high to parent their child , contribute. The person committing the crime is the one person that is solely responsible for the choices he/ she made.
      All this blaming each other crap just adds to the excuses and irresponsibility that our society already has as a problem.
      Guns , gun ownership ( legally) don't contribute to the crime rates. Race in and by itself is not a contributing factor.
      Seriously do you think that a guy with that criminal history obtained his gun legally ?

January 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • April

Well said! As an African American woman, I feel for any family who has to grieve over a senseless act of violence. This nation lost touch with humanity long before the internet and well before we had a Biracial President. It's scary to know my children are preparing to enter a world that hates them simply because of the pigmentation in their skin. Prejudice is an easy way to let ignorance do the thinking for you. I pray God's blessing and protection over each of you.

January 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nelson

April..........You are either Black or American or if you wish, a Black American......I do not call myself a German American, NO I am an American...........Get over yourself, you are no better then anybody else, regardless of what Sharpton tells you!

January 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan A - Florida

@cookiemom So a criminal gets a gun and you assume/know no better than to think that is was obatined illegally...well think again sister, and trying going to a gun show sometime and come back and tell me all about the background checks and measures taken to keep guns out of the hands of criminals at these things. Oh that's right, you won't be able to, because any yahoo with the money can walk in off the street and by a gun (and more than one) at any number of gubn shows across the country. But you know what, why don't you just stay in your little ignorantly blissfull world where you think you know everything, because I know that's where you want to be anyways.

January 24, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nursehope

PLEASE cite one, just one violent crime committed by a liberal against anyone!

January 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • the Vylan

So are you saying that the hundreds of thousands of minorities in our prisons systems are all consrevative republicans? not likely..

January 25, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
    • MJ

So true. So well said.

January 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wes

Thirty-five million Americans go to bed hungry every night; pretty soon the Obama Health care Law will be fining all of them $900. because they won't be able to come up with $10,000 a year for insurance premiums. What sort of reaction will that bring?

The answer is to break the AMA control of the health care industry and start producing more doctors and nurses. Tax the rich who have ripped off the middle class and pooor for too long and take care of our people. The Democrats are as bad a Rush and Sleezy Sarah. Let's get food to these folks..

January 24, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chairmanbuzz

The first moron that sponsor should boycott is Glenn Beck. He's on video actually saying "go out and shoot them in the head" when referring to political enemies. That man is a lunatic to being with and people on the edge have to be swayed by his vitrial banter day in and day out. The man needs electro-shock therapy via tazer every 15 minutes for about a year to clear his brain!

January 24, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mom In MA

Good thing gun crimes like this aren't perpetrated on those who actually carry guns.. because when crimes like this happen it's only because the victims themselves weren't' carrying guns... otherwise they'd just shoot the criminals WITH guns...right???

January 24, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • andols

why is it such a huge deal when they get killed for what they signed up for, yet when they kill someone they are heros!?
      screw th police

January 25, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • momfurst

andols.... getting killed is what they signed up for? Being called a hero for killing someone? Wow, I wonder sometimes why I get up everyday and put my uniform on to protect people like you (or your children)? But thats what I signed up for and that is what I will do, everyday, with honor.

January 25, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. chuckmartel

The US has always had more of its share of violent gun blasting nuts. However over the past few decades the US has imported record number of immigrants from the most war torn, backward, and hyper violent countries on the earth. Crime statistics show that elements from this diversity are responsible for the record number of shootings and other horrible incidents that were once only common in the underdeveloped horror ridden parts of the earth. Not saying no anglo types are responsible for this tragedy.

January 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rm81dragon

That's actually basically what you're saying, that this level of tragedy is an immigrant issue. For 1, most other European and developed/industrialized nations have as high, or higher, immigrant ratios as we do...you just don't see this level of gun violence do you? Furthermore, can you point to any one of the shootings and tell which one was the "immigrant"? No, most, if not all, of these wackos were homegrown in the good'ol US of A. And lastly, we as a developed nation have the highest rate of gun violence among all other developed nations. We rank, in most cases, double to triple the gun violence as other developed nations. Why? Because we have the most lax gun control laws in the developed world. Yes, Latin America also has heavy gun restriction but high gun violence. This is because they have little means of enforcement, but we do. The rest of the developed world does as well and with higher gun restriction and effective enforcement, gun violence dramatically falls. Regardless, there's no evidence that this is an immigrant issue - you say statistics, show that this is the case. Show us your stats - not from some right wing spin house. Non-partisan, empirical, scientific stats. Mine are based off of the CIA worldfact book and the UN, information YOU too have access to. This is an American problem. Lets own it and figure out a solution.

January 24, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuckmartel

"For 1, most other European and developed/industrialized nations have as high, or higher, immigrant ratios as we do.".

Afraid not. We have taken in the greatest number of people from crime ridden countries in Latin America, Africa plus the great influx of Mexican gangs. The only commonality with Europe is Africa and if you believe that is going well, you cannot read and count. Also very familiar with CIA factbook and you are confused if you believe it addresses these statistics, Finally I am not a repub/teabagger and I change the channel when they or any PC libtard goes on the news TV.

January 24, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • conoclast

Nice anti-immigration rant, but gun violence is sadly a home-grown problem. Firearms, because they've been such an indispensable tool throughout our history, are in our cultural DNA; we're stuck with 'em. So to try to palm the problem off on "violent immigrants" is just wrong-headed.

January 24, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuckmartel

From my previous post, "The US has always had more of its share of violent gun blasting nuts". I thought I was clear on gun nuttery in the US. Fact is cities throughout the US are literally being invaded by horrible gangs from the places I mentioned, Mexico being the biggest contributor. The cities they are overunning have always had their problems but these diversity gangs run up violent, drug related crime to new levels of diverse glory.

January 24, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rm81dragon

Again, you still have provided no evidence that the recent shootings were related to immigrants. The gun violence stats are not from the CIA worldfact book, they are from the other source I mentioned – the UN (UN Office on Drugs and Crime UNODC). We rank 7th in the world by the way, trailing Thailand, South Africa, Colombia, Slovakia, Guatemala, and Zimbabwe. No, you don't have to say it - some countries don't report or keep track - Somalia and Sudan would surely be up there. The UK and Canada, however, aren't even on the list (top 25). The numbers show a major disconnect between the US and majority of the developed world.

This isn't about "PC libtards" or "repub/teabaggers." It's about a major gun problem in the US that is heavily deregulated and accessible.

Also, Mexico does not have a domestic gun brand - there is no Mexican made gun. 30% of Mexico's gun imports come from the US though...so even if they are destroying metropolitan America - of which the recent shootings, from Giffords onward don't seem to be related - a third of that gun violence would be with our own guns.

P.S. – Why aren't you talking about "Anglo" gun violence? Why are you even separating it at all? It's American gun violence, and yes, IT is our problem.

January 24, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • jesus

I went through the articles, none were immigrants, at least not first generation. As to a recent influx of immigrants from war torn countries, we were founded by immigrants leaving war torn countries. They arrived with a good deal of blood lust, murder all the natives, imported slaves, and spent the better part of 400 years draining every possible resource from this great land.

So in that context I'd agree immigrants have always been the problem.

It's tough a time for this nation of immigrants, financial stressed caused by a period of irresponsible spending and a blind eye to basic economic principles brought us here. It's easy to look for scape goats across our border, though consider our recent financial turmoil stems from the well educated wasp population, not the day laborer. Our boy Bernie and his wall street crew have done more damage then Pablo working in the kitchen.

January 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • rm81dragon

Although I wouldn't have dropped White Anglo Saxon Protestant abbreviation as it is often meant pejoratively, I agree. We're (outside of Native American populations) generally born of immigrants, don't forget that. Crime presents itself in many forms, gang violence is one of those, but to imply that this is a new form is totally off base. There may be some immigrant related gang crime, it doesn't, however, define immigration - it's a grossly small percentage of those who immigrate here. My ancestors, who came in mass from Britain arrived and decimated the indigenous population by approx. 90% - our current gang and immigrant gang violence pales in comparison with that level of violence. Immigrants today are not offing our population by the 100's of 1000's of 100,000's +. Our ancestors did. Today is much different and current immigration supports a lot of economies - namely agriculture, which supports a large part of this country.

January 24, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cliff

Anyone who will read this and THINK

January 24, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MPL

Nutty:
    But many "speeders" are actually NOT speeding or doing anything dangerously: they are merely driving at an appropriate rate of speed in a place with an artificially low speed limit. It's unacceptable.

What part of "limit", don't you understand?

January 24, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • LSM

What part of "over-simplification" don't you understand?... Instead of a sarcastic rhetorical response to someone sharing a point of view that you cannot bear to lower yourself to the level of such drudgery – why don't you instead provide a valid counter-point to something that you project as being asinine. It should be easy to do, right? And you won't look like just another lazy big-mouth who thinks their opinion is the only correct one, and doesn't have enough respect for all the other stupid people out their to be bothered to engage in sincere dialogue over a topic.

I'm just looking out for you. It bothers me when people show their ignorance through such behavior – especially when someone presents a very valid point that is worthy of consideration. (Not to discount your completely rational counter-argument, however.)

January 25, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. RailRoad

The second amendment is okay(listen) taxpayer spends over 60k a year to house the average violent criminal the judicial system is out of order when someone kill another person he or she should receive frightening punishment (The Death Penalty) in one year#

January 24, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Copsaretheworst

They scare me more than the criminals, so this is a good week!

January 24, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dolby

You either have a terrible sense of humor,or definitely are in need of mental health care. Either way, you are sick.

January 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • DYBO

Please keep yourself locked up to protect the public. Thank you.

January 24, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Seriously, you're an idiot... Next time you need help call your local drug dealer and not us. We do what we do not for gratification from you but because we like contributing to this nation. Somewhere right now a cop is fighting for their life while you sit around and play games.

January 24, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAVE

Of all the stupid comments listed here, this is the worst. You are an idiot.

January 24, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • beenthere

Actually, I hear ya. I won't call them for anything anymore. All it takes is for them to see my 'Free Peltier' sticker on my car, and I get pulled over, they come at me with guns drawn. If you're not white in Seattle (or sometimes, though seldom, if you are) you have to be terrified of the cops. Look at all the brutality coming to light in the last few years, which has increased in just the last few months! They're bullies in blue, looking for someone to take their aggressions out on!

January 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bubbish

Having worked in law enforcement for 20 yrs., been the ex of a police officer, and having two siblings who are still sworn peace officers-one a homicide detective for a large So Cal city and the other a Deputy Sheriff- to read stories of officers being killed day after day tears at your heart. Though my mom does not vocalize it, I know that always in the back of her mind, is the fear of THAT knock on her door someday. I worked when a fellow officer was shot by a suspect; when the call went out over the radio, officers from other agencies were rolling from 10-15 miles away, some with just their t-shirt on under a vest. It's every cop's worst nighmare. Fortunately in this case, the vest stopped the bullet (in the 10 ring, mind you) and the suspect was shot dead by another officer. But not officer involved shootings have the same outcome, where the suspect is DOA and the officers live to walk away and go home again to their families. God bless all fellow brothers and sister in blue. Stay safe.

January 24, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Concerned Citizen

Ntchwaidumela

It's wild how when a cop shoots and kills someone, who may or may not be innocent, the cop becomes judge, jury, and in many cases, the executioner. Now, when the tables are turned just a little, when people are not taking the harassment, the mistreatment, and the racism (black people can hate black people too) any longe, here we are talking about what can be done, cops respecting citizens of all races is a great start. We should ask Trevon Cole, Scott Erickson, who are a couple of the latest victims of being killed by police officers who give conflicting statements, and are cleared in the deaths. So, it's a little hard to feel as sympathetic as I would if cops were treating us fair. There is an article on this very website talking about the "Guy who can explain everything."

January 25, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. samantha

So many people are so quick to point their finger and blame everyoneelse. Point is people are fed up with how america has taken its turn on the citizens. So when someone screws one over usually anger is involved and in this case people got shot. Instead of thinking about the shooter, we blame everything and everyone else. Its the little stuff that builds on our anger. Lets start with the little stuff by being ourselves good people and it will trickle down. Anger / pain / hate. Nothing good comes of that. Less blah blah blah and more actually doing. I know its asking a lot but im sure it will catch on. 🙂

January 24, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |