Tough times for men and women in blue
Law enforcement officials hug each other Monday before a memorial service for two slain Miami-Dade police officers.
January 24th, 2011

Tough times for men and women in blue

As police in Florida prepared for the funeral of two Miami-Dade County police officers gunned down in the line of duty, shots rang out Monday in St. Petersburg, on the other side of the state. Two other officers fell dead and a federal marshal was wounded. Follow updates on CNN and affiliate WFTS-TV.

On any given day, such violence against police officers would be disturbing. But the fatalities capped a particularly violent 24 hours in the United States for the men and women in blue. Eleven police officers were shot.

“It is a very disturbing trend for all of us,” said Hal Johnson, general counsel for the Florida Police Benevolent Association. “Florida has never seen a streak like this. I don’t think anybody has.”

It is natural to search for answers, Johnson said, even if there aren’t any. The shootings do not appear to be related, and the motives may never be known. Declaring it to be open season against police officers seems dangerously simplistic, he added.

He sees the shootings more as acts of desperation.

“They are shooting at people they know have guns,” Johnson said. “I don’t know what’s going on out there, but I’ve never seen it like this. I do see the developing of a callousness. It’s almost as if shooting a police officer has lost its shock effect.”

Consider:

- On Sunday, four officers were shot in a Detroit police station by a man who walked in, firing randomly. Lamar Deshea Moore was shot to death by police so his motive may never be known, but local reports say a relative was awaiting sentencing for double murder. Two of the police officers remain hospitalized. For more, read CNN’s update and affiliate reports from the scene: WXYZ-TV and WDIV-TV.

- Two deputies were shot outside a Walmart in Port Orchard, Washington, near Seattle, on Sunday. Check out CNNKIRO-TV and KOMO-TV for the latest updates.

- A police officer is in a coma and in critical condition after being shot during a traffic stop early Sunday in Indianapolis. Check out WTHR-TV and WISH-TV for updates.

- In Lincoln City, Oregon, a police officer was shot Sunday night during a traffic stop. The officer is in critical condition. Check out affiliate KOIN-TV for more information.

Although they do not appear to be related, the weekend shootings follow two other violent incidents last week involving police officers, including the Miami killings and a slaying in Lakewood, New Jersey.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida • Indiana • Michigan • Washington state
soundoff (1,001 Responses)
  1. RetiredLE

The US seems to be going to hell in a handbasket. But, perhaps history is repeating itself as those who are in the know are said to say. History shows us that all great empires have fallen, usually from within.

January 24, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ms.KnowsNothing

If you have the courage to do the crime you better have the courage to face the consequences of your actions. Every criminal is tough until someone comes and makes him account for his actions. You aren't tough. You're a coward. If everyone possessed the ability to say "Hey I messed up." or " Yeah it was me", we wouldn't have these tragic stories on the news. Unfortunately, everyone passes the blame or makes matters worse by lying, fighting, or killing. Where does it get these people. In hiding, in a cell, or in the ground.

January 24, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. William

Is this a sign of the economy, the unemployment figures? The liberals/progressives have managed this country into the ground. What's the sound ringing in my ears? "Yes, we can! Yes, we can!" Oops.

January 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Piggywiggy

Awesome i hate cop's!

January 24, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Christine

And these shootings are happening in the less populated areas also. Last night a local police officer was shot after stopped a SUV for speeding. The officer was flown to a hospital in Portland, OR and is in critical condition, a single father of a 18 yr old daughter. The shooter at this time is still at-large and his family and friends from Portland said "he has been acting strangely since he broke up with his girlfriend two weeks ago" This guy even shot at a boater who was checking his crab cages in the early morning hours today thinking that he was the police. Not only are the people in Blue in danger but so are the citizens they are trying to protect!

January 24, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. AzHawaii

Anyone who comes into my house and threatens my family , I'll blow their f**cken head off. The police will not be there to protect me and my family, because they are to busy busting a person with a dime bag of weed.

January 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Seth Hill

I'm a civilian and don't know much about crime and guns. I would like to hear what police officers think about gun control.

January 24, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SoTrue

I am a Christian, black male, 30 years old, with wife and kid. I have a clean record with no arrests and never used drugs. Last month on my way home from work (I work and pay taxes to provide for thugs with badges), a thug from Broward County Sheriff in an unmarked gray minivan pulled me over because I switched over one lane and went in front of him. He pulled me over even though I properly switched over using my indicator. The jerk started screaming and cursing at me. He stood against my car door at an angle to hide his name.He made up all sorts of lies like "you almost took my bumper off! blah blah blah!". He got back in the van and said I could go. I contacted IA from the Sheriff's office and they did not help me. There are many good cops out there and I do not agree with killing cops; however, these thugs must be stopped.

January 24, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. steve

The society we have today can be directed back to the sixties and what LBJ did to this country with his so called great society. Now we have unwed mothers continually having children by fathers they half know, growing up in a rancid neighborhood, and it just keeps on going with the welfare, food stamps, and public housing. Crazy!!

January 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kate

The reason that law enforcement officers are being killed is simple. The public has lost respect for police. Why? The level of police corruption is so pervasive

Innocent people are being tasered because policemen are too lazy and too poorly trained to effectively deal with conflicts. Policemen are too willing to escalate verbal disagreements into a, "I'll show you who's boss." Police have a reputation as liars – It is now a universal truth that a policeman will lie to you in order to get you to say whatever they want you to. Every day we watch as policeman speed and make illegal traffic maneuvars.

Police must clean up their act. Every state must enact laws that require higher quality and ethical people to become police officers. Any and all police corruption, no matter how trivial, must be severly punished.

January 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luca

Actually Kate, you are incorrect. According to FBI statistics, 1 in 200 police officers participate in illegal activity. That's one half of one percent. Hardly pervasive. In fact, it's the lowest of any demographic in the US, including yours.

January 25, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. sassie

I live in a suburb of Seattle. When my mom was dying of cancer I was trying to care for her and keep my eye on two teenagers at the same time. Going back and forth between houses one day I was pulled over and got a ticket for expired tabs. the next day I got the new tabs but that night my mom took a turn for the worse and passed on. In all that followed, funeral, settling the estate etc. I completely forgot to pay the ticket and my license was suspended. Now mind you, at the time I had never had any trouble in my life before, never received any kind of ticket, nothing. One day about 2 months later I noticed a cop behind me. When I looked again there were 4 more behind the first one. Then they all turned on their lights and sirens and I pulled into a church parking lot. They acted like they were after a mass murderer. Ordered me out of the car get on knees, handcuffed and taken 2 jail. They were rough and all laughing because I was crying. At court the judge was nice dismissed it. Lost respect 4 cops that day.

January 24, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. PhilG

There needs to be an immediate rethink on strategy for all law enforcement agencies.

They need to get their heads together and come up with better-initial engagement- procedures.

And all police officers need to 'vest up' ,it's getting downright crazy out there.

January 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. outside thinker

Well let's look at it this way... why not ban everything that has been used as a murder weapon. hammers, baseball bats, butcher and steak knives, cars, saws, rope, extention cords, axes, pick axes, rocks, panty hose, toxic liquids, and yes, well placed pencils. hmmm all of these things can't just get up and cause damage by themselves. neither can guns. and the NRA is for the RESPONSIBLE ownership of guns by LAW ABIDING citizens. read their newsletter once in a while, get informed. it's easier to blame an object or group over a single person.

January 24, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nexus

There are about 500,000 gun-related crimes annually in the United States. Further, Americans own roughly 250 million guns. Assuming a different gun is used in each of the 500,000 crimes, only 0.2% of guns are involved in crime each year.

A ban on firearms would be 99.8% ineffective.

Washington banned handguns for 33 years; during some of those years the city was known as the nation’s murder capital.

Killers not deterred by laws against murder were not deterred by laws against owning guns.

Moreover, anti-gun regulations did not address the deep-rooted causes of violent crime — illegitimacy, drugs, alcohol abuse and dysfunctional schools — much less mental instability.Experience indicates that gun restrictions have minimal effect on access to weapons by criminals and deranged people

January 24, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Frank Lee Wright

You americans are all racists....Most Blacks hate whites, All whites hate blacks....Maybe if there is another terrorist attack on our soil, you freakin morons would actually work together and not look at white or black...No wonder foreigners don't like Americans but they do love this country

January 24, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • SoTrue

Correction, as a black, I only hate ignorant people. I did not know about racism until my parents brought me to this country 16 years ago. It's the culture here.

January 25, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • outside thinker

correction: not all white people hate black people. I for one do not hate black people. Having lived in many different environments, many of which I was in the minority, I saw both the good and the bad of every race present. What it came down to is that everyone wanted respect, but the ones who were on the negative side weren't willing to give respect first. You have to GIVE respect BEFORE you can RECIEVE respect. Thugs fall into this category, as well as those "outlaw" cops, but I see far more thungs than outlaw cops. Just saying

January 25, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |