Soldier's marriage proposal from Afghanistan goes to wrong number
British soldiers patrol in Afghanistan last year.
January 26th, 2011

Soldier's marriage proposal from Afghanistan goes to wrong number

Samantha, where are you? Your soldier boyfriend, evidently deployed in Afghanistan, wants to marry you. He's proposed, Samantha. But we know you didn't get his phone message, because Diane Potts, a 44-year-old mother of three did. And she's certain she doesn't have a beau in Afghanistan who wants to marry her.

According to British media reports, Potts came home last Thursday in the northen English city of Gateshead, checked her answering machine and heard this:

"I love you so much, I love you with all my heart and I was going to ask you, don’t answer, obviously you can’t answer, but will you marry me?"

Listen to the soldier's message

"I could tell he was speaking from a phone booth, the line was quite crackly. I was shocked, and had to listen to it again before the message sunk in," Potts told the Daily Mail. "I think he probably dialed incorrectly, and that his girlfriend’s number is similar to mine."

Unless Samantha or the soldier come forth after reports of the call were splashed across the British press Wednesday, it could be awhile before the soldier can make his pitch again.

"He said he would not be able to ring for another month, and would not be home for another three months," Potts told the Daily Mail.

In the 90-second message, the soldier also talks about losing a comrade in recent fighting.

"One of my guys has just been blown up, so I feel sad, I really feel sad," he says on the tape.

Samantha is also apparently pregnant.

"I can’t wait until you give birth to my baby, my little soldier," the soldier says. "I will do everything in my heart and I will try my hardest to fight to protect you."

Then he's back to the fight.

"I've got to go back out here now. I love you with all my heart, don't ever forget that, I love you, all right Samantha, I love you, bye, bye," the phone message ends.

Potts says she hopes Samantha and the soldier connect soon, according to reports.

"I e-mailed the media to see if anybody could pick it up and do something about," she told Sky News Online.

"He had a regional accent, but we're not sure if he lives up here, so it's great to get coverage and find her.

"We just really want to find her."

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Military • United Kingdom
  1. Kanenas

You got to be kidding me. This makes news these days!!!!!! You people have nothing else to report!!!

January 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheWrongSamantha

you're an idiot. It's human interest and it's a nice piece to take my mind off of all the people killing their children. Give me a break. You don't like it. . .don't read or post!

January 26, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TheWrongSamantha

I'm the wrong Samantha, and I truly hope that she somehow gets the message and that he gets home safely to his fiance (assuming she says yes) and their baby. Congrats to both!

January 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jujubeans

The feel good story of the year! I laughed, I cried, I ate popcorn....

January 26, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dolly O.

I pray for a happy ending on this story.. But how & when can i get CNN to write my story.Been disabled all my life.. 60yrs old widow With a broken heart in solace within..broken femur since 12/9/10..loosing my house.. Bills to pay.. Like so many out there ...ive never won a bubble gum price..:( I daydream alot..& wish upon a star my house was paid for.. Do i beleive in happy endings.. Yesss... i'LL never loose faith... for Samantha and her soldier

January 26, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Hang in there. Everything happens for a reason.

January 26, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Anne

How incredibly romantic, here this man is away fighting and taking the risk of not returning home himself and he is thinking of others, thinking of the future and a child who will one day soon be born. Thinking of a friend and soldier who has lost the battle. If this woman, Samantha turns down this proposal she is a fool. I will say a prayer for this soldier, for all the soldiers.

January 26, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sometimes

Sounds like a prank call.

January 26, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hotbabe

As i read this story and all the comments , i just hope and pray that this soldier and all the others go back to their families in one peice .

January 26, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Masa D. Luffy

You know what would be a great M. Night Shyamalan plot-twist?

If this soldier hasn't physically spoken to Samantha in 2 years, and she's pregnant. 😡 I only bring this up because I've seen it a crapton of times..

January 26, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cremulous

Another baby soldier... greaaaat

January 26, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joe in Colorado

Apparently, somebody really likes the sperm... pregnant out of wedlock?

January 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • hahahaha

That leaves me in total shock as well. The first time in the history of mankind that people were able to conceive without being married, and they're focusing on the PHONE CALL! Hello, people, history being made here....

January 27, 2011 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Cesar

Anne, will you marry me? And no Samantha, the baby is not my brother's.

January 26, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Masa D. Luffy

Also just wanna say I'm glad I'm not the only One Piece fan around, whom also happens to enjoy picking an internet argument from time to time. :p

January 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bigdude

i too am a romantic. this soldier puts his life on the line every second of the day for the jerks on here making fun of him. i hope and PRAY that he returns and all goes well for them. some of you jerks should be behind enemy lines for the killing machines can have a little target practice

January 26, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Samantha

I will marry you !! Hope you are reading this right now...

January 26, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. joe wallace

Is this what you call journalism? What a waste of time...

January 26, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |