Soldier's marriage proposal from Afghanistan goes to wrong number
British soldiers patrol in Afghanistan last year.
January 26th, 2011

Soldier's marriage proposal from Afghanistan goes to wrong number

Samantha, where are you? Your soldier boyfriend, evidently deployed in Afghanistan, wants to marry you. He's proposed, Samantha. But we know you didn't get his phone message, because Diane Potts, a 44-year-old mother of three did. And she's certain she doesn't have a beau in Afghanistan who wants to marry her.

According to British media reports, Potts came home last Thursday in the northen English city of Gateshead, checked her answering machine and heard this:

"I love you so much, I love you with all my heart and I was going to ask you, don’t answer, obviously you can’t answer, but will you marry me?"

Listen to the soldier's message

"I could tell he was speaking from a phone booth, the line was quite crackly. I was shocked, and had to listen to it again before the message sunk in," Potts told the Daily Mail. "I think he probably dialed incorrectly, and that his girlfriend’s number is similar to mine."

Unless Samantha or the soldier come forth after reports of the call were splashed across the British press Wednesday, it could be awhile before the soldier can make his pitch again.

"He said he would not be able to ring for another month, and would not be home for another three months," Potts told the Daily Mail.

In the 90-second message, the soldier also talks about losing a comrade in recent fighting.

"One of my guys has just been blown up, so I feel sad, I really feel sad," he says on the tape.

Samantha is also apparently pregnant.

"I can’t wait until you give birth to my baby, my little soldier," the soldier says. "I will do everything in my heart and I will try my hardest to fight to protect you."

Then he's back to the fight.

"I've got to go back out here now. I love you with all my heart, don't ever forget that, I love you, all right Samantha, I love you, bye, bye," the phone message ends.

Potts says she hopes Samantha and the soldier connect soon, according to reports.

"I e-mailed the media to see if anybody could pick it up and do something about," she told Sky News Online.

"He had a regional accent, but we're not sure if he lives up here, so it's great to get coverage and find her.

"We just really want to find her."

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Military • United Kingdom
  1. Dave

Sure, splash a soldier's heartfelt and personal message to his to-be fiance on public news. Classy, CNN. You could have just mentioned what the incident was about rather than quoting word for word for us all to read. Unless the guy specifically gave his permission, how about a little respectful privacy?

January 26, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. hanna

Sooo why are people making fun of this story? So what the guy mistakingly dialed the wrong number that doesn't mean you should mock him. Good to know everyone has a heart...not.
    I thought the article was nice. Oh and to the people who commented saying things like "oh how can she be pregnant if they aren't married" GET A LIFE and realize PEOPLE DON'T have to be me married to have children, sorry if that messes with your whole "perfect family" image but the traditional family no longer exists.

January 26, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Casey

that poor soldier. he probably built alot of courage to ask and he ended up calling the wrong number.

January 26, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Divine

awwwwwwwwwww he is so sweet.....I hope he calls back and gets the right # ...please God protect him!

January 26, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Anonymous 1

Am I the first person to comment on the fact that his friend dies? New movie on lifetime anyone?

January 26, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. fred

This is all just the story she's telling her husband afer he stumbled on the voice message.

January 26, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DfromC

Someone call Oprah; she'll figure it out & give them a car!
    Just kidding; I hope she gets message & he makes it home safe! Its men & women like him who fight for our right to comment on these stories & our congressmen to sue for $150,000 over chipping his tooth! The same people who get free health, dental & so much more! My fault not free, we pay for it! Sorry to the person who made his sandwich, gave him his sandwich & a couple others who will loose their jobs to pay for this lawsuit & loose their health coverage, homes & everything else! Stories like this soldiers is cool, a lil funny & makes more sense when I read it; a poor guy in love & waiting to become a father & faces life changing challenges & after losing a friend to a terrible tragedy called his girl & got the wrong number. If he makes it home safe they'll have a laugh & a story to share with grandchildren! To be honest I'd rather read about this than the greed of a congressman!

January 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dogsayswoof

Cute little story. I found it entertaining, may not be real but what the heck it still made me smile.

January 26, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. doggy mama

I sure hope the pregnancy was common knowledge. Neither one of these involved asked for this publicity, and I think I'd be screaming for someone's tush if the news broke in the media before I'd told my friends and family. Or had had an abortion.
    Someone just wasn't thinking. There are serious liability issues here, and I hope these kids are VERY well compensated!
    God love them, all three.

January 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brickell Princess

These oil fighters need to get a grip and quit it with these idiotic stunts. Seriously guys, it is no longer amusing nor remotely creative to be an oil fighter proposing to some chick from a far away land. Grow up and keep fighting for my oil!

January 26, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rug

I proposed to my wife 22 years ago today ... did it smart – in person. She said yes. Suckered her into it. 22 years later, I'd ask her again. Now if only I could find her .... just kidding, we're still married and still happy. ;-)) It's easy when both are committed to making it work. Learn to compromise and learn to change yourself ... you cannot change the other person, they need to do that themselves. So give them a good reason to do it, too.

January 26, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • kcv

Aren't you a sweetie Rug!
      Just made me lean over and kiss my high school sweetheart and husband of 13 years (been together 21yrs and I'm 37)....he's snoring his butt off,lol!

January 27, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  12. Pat MI

Young love...how wonderful! Back in the 70's (I was 19) I was in love with a soldier and was waiting for that phone call to happen. Long story made short, he was stationed in Germany. His moter wrote me a letter telling me that he got a local woman pregnant then married her. They ended up with 5 children, all girls. Although devastated, I eventually found my prince and was married 5 years later. His mother still keeps me posted. Happy endings for all!

January 26, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ikanke Ikono

Dy press shld realy find a way 2 get samantha cus i knw she'l b dyin 2 get d mesage xpecialy 2 knw dat his fiance is stil alive

January 26, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LordNinja

This is very sweet. I really and honestly do hope that they find each other and everything works out and all of that.

Blessings on you Mr. Soldier and blessings on you Miss Samantha. may you both find each other through the will of God.

January 26, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fasole olumide

The story's quite touching,i think all efforts should b made to link his heartrob with the mssg and if there's a way of making the soldier know his mssg bounced,all d best. A soldier also needs love.

January 26, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |