Soldier's marriage proposal from Afghanistan goes to wrong number
British soldiers patrol in Afghanistan last year.
January 26th, 2011

Soldier's marriage proposal from Afghanistan goes to wrong number

Samantha, where are you? Your soldier boyfriend, evidently deployed in Afghanistan, wants to marry you. He's proposed, Samantha. But we know you didn't get his phone message, because Diane Potts, a 44-year-old mother of three did. And she's certain she doesn't have a beau in Afghanistan who wants to marry her.

According to British media reports, Potts came home last Thursday in the northen English city of Gateshead, checked her answering machine and heard this:

"I love you so much, I love you with all my heart and I was going to ask you, don’t answer, obviously you can’t answer, but will you marry me?"

Listen to the soldier's message

"I could tell he was speaking from a phone booth, the line was quite crackly. I was shocked, and had to listen to it again before the message sunk in," Potts told the Daily Mail. "I think he probably dialed incorrectly, and that his girlfriend’s number is similar to mine."

Unless Samantha or the soldier come forth after reports of the call were splashed across the British press Wednesday, it could be awhile before the soldier can make his pitch again.

"He said he would not be able to ring for another month, and would not be home for another three months," Potts told the Daily Mail.

In the 90-second message, the soldier also talks about losing a comrade in recent fighting.

"One of my guys has just been blown up, so I feel sad, I really feel sad," he says on the tape.

Samantha is also apparently pregnant.

"I can’t wait until you give birth to my baby, my little soldier," the soldier says. "I will do everything in my heart and I will try my hardest to fight to protect you."

Then he's back to the fight.

"I've got to go back out here now. I love you with all my heart, don't ever forget that, I love you, all right Samantha, I love you, bye, bye," the phone message ends.

Potts says she hopes Samantha and the soldier connect soon, according to reports.

"I e-mailed the media to see if anybody could pick it up and do something about," she told Sky News Online.

"He had a regional accent, but we're not sure if he lives up here, so it's great to get coverage and find her.

"We just really want to find her."

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Military • United Kingdom
  1. Jochebed

If he loved her that much, perhaps he could have married her BEFORE knocking her up.

January 27, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • squeakbat

What does that have to do with anything? Maybe they weren't planning on getting married for a while.

January 27, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • shyvixx

exactly!!! if he dies now, she will get less benefits being that she is not married to him. smh

January 28, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. Whatever

A NICE STORY!

January 27, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. Blueyblu

I think it's a wonderful story and I hope his message gets to Samantha. As for all of you who want to bash CNN for publishing this story, grow a heart! Our soliders are out there protecting us..... I wish them the best of luck!!

January 27, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • mary

I agree with you. My husband is in the military and he goes out to war himself. People need to stop bashing CNN for this story. Samantha needs to be found and I hope she is found soon.

February 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nichole

That is so sweet! I hope she finds Samantha to tell her the news!

January 27, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. ACE

ALT get over yourself, I thaught it was a great story and whatsoever you are a an idiot

January 27, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Buster Bloodvessel

Actually, is she sure she wants to marry a guy who proposes to her answering machine?

January 27, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheng

When your call is goes to the machine and the next chance of making a call is a month away....

January 28, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. Emilio

I hate it when that happens.

January 27, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Fiona

Cynical me thought this would be a case of "drunk dialing," but I listened to the recording and - as much of it as I could understand - it sounded sincere. And the guy sounded stressed and lonely, in need of support after losing a comrade. I hope Samantha says yes, and that her beau stays safe.

January 27, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mikka

and no one wants to marry me 😉

January 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ellen

This is seriously one of CNN's WORLD headlines? Very sad commentary on what people's interest really are.

January 27, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • beth1

With all the killings and negative reports in the world it's nice to read something positive for once! Do you ogle at vehicle crashes and fires also? Best of luck to the couple!

January 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • DMarie

Ellen, does CNN have to spell out everything for you? They are just relaying a message so you can think for yourself about what most people don't want to think about. There are real people out there fighting this war. They see their buddies blown to bits. This soldier hoped to use his one phone call per month for solace from his loved one after just such an experience. He is in constant danger of death far from home, and after what happened today, he especially longs for a long and stable life with Samantha and their unborn child.

In his trauma, he got the wrong number. Poignant (and also a call to the public to help out if they can).

Besides the poignancy, the article is newsworthy because we citizens are responsible for the wars of our nations and both the soldiers who die there and the ones who will be coming back physically and emotionally traumatized. Citizens influence on policy matters.

So, yes, I do care about reading this article and gauging it's importance high.

January 30, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. 101st

For freedom, or for the interest of his country. It really does not matter......its just nice to know that a soldier out there in the middle of chaos and dissaster. Still has love and hope to keep him going.......and unless you have been in sitting in that desert sand thinking of your loved one miles away, then pleaase do not make fun or mock a story of hope. Thank you to all soldiers past and present, from the U.S and our Allies.......

January 27, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancy O'Donnell

I am so glad their are still other people out there that understand how hard it is for the soldiers over there, thank you ! Best wishes and prayers to that soldier and his girlfriend.

February 1, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Stuart

I think this is ridiculous. That message was pretty dang personal to this soldier and half of the message is plastered on the internet! Thank you for telling us that his girlfriend is pregnant, and that his buddy was just killed. I'm sure he loves the fact that this information is an article on CNN.

January 27, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • MoodyMoody

Ms. Potts unequivocally stated that she released this in the hopes that the message would get to the right woman. The name of the soldier wasn't released at all because she didn't know it. If he doesn't want people to know who he is, he can keep quiet later.

January 29, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. John Q Public

Touching story all well & good, but "she doesn't have a beau" is beau really a proper term!? Seem to cheapen the story some....

January 28, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

It sounds like a touching story, but it sounds more like a scam or prank to me. I don't think in my years of service I would hav ever called my unborn child "my little soldier". If its legit, I hope the message is recieved well... sure would suck to be over there and get a rejection on a marriage proposal over the phone or by text message.

January 28, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. DonnyB4

Knocking up his girlfriend before heading on overseas deployment? Too stupid to dial a phone number correctly? The genes are stacked against you. Is it too late to get an abortion?

January 28, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mona

God, you really are a miserable, wretched creature, aren't you?

I mean, what sort of depraved mind can possibly diss on someone who misdials in a moment of extreme upset (he had just had a fellow soldier lost in battle, and the way he refers to him as 'one of my guys' might even indicate it was someone under his command – can you say survivor's guilt?).

I'm not even gonna comment on the whole 'knock up your girlfriend prior to deployment' bit, except to say that if you're so blinkered that you can't figure out how many contexts there are for this to happen without indicating ANY irresponsibility on the part of either party, you got bigger problems than they do that's for sure.

The worse is the abortion comment though. You're probably going to backtrack and start bleating that it was a joke, and that I (or whoever else decides to reply to your sorry @ss) is humorless, but you need way a far sharper wit than you could ever hope for to get any laughs out of eugenics.

Besides, you think they're dumb? I'll take dumb but loving over nasty and hateful (ie: like you) any day and twice on sundays. Should your mother have aborted YOU then?! I don't know, maybe there's some redeeming qualities to you, but you sure as heck weren't putting them forward when you came here to read & post.

January 29, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |