It's the snowiest January ever in NYC
New York has never seen as much snow in January as it has seen this month.
January 27th, 2011

It's the snowiest January ever in NYC

Records are falling with the snow in and around New York.

This has been the snowiest January the Big Apple has on its books. The National Weather Service reports these January totals, with old records in parentheses:

• Central Park: 36 inches (27.4, 1925)
  • Newark, New Jersey: 37.3 inches (31.6, 1996)
  • LaGuardia Airport: 32.4 inches (27.6, 1996)
  • Bridgeport, Connecticut: 41.8 inches (26.2, 1965)
  • Islip, New York: 34.2 inches (21.5, 2005)

Post by:
Filed under: New York • Winter weather
  1. Cesar

I love the smell of Pepto Bismol.

January 27, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lar

I think it smells terrible. I like the smell of A5-35 though

January 27, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DaringD

Where is Al Bore to scream at us about Global Warming?

January 27, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • DaSean

Too busy fighting ManBearPig!

January 27, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bart

Now, don't be stupid – is this a sure sign of Global Warming!

January 27, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

Wowzers...EVER???
    I am shocked and appalled at the audacity of NYC's weather.

And here I thought Charlie Sheen's tummy ache was the big news story of the day.

Maybe Charlie should take some of Cesar's Pepto!

January 27, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sold Cober

I hope you people wake up. Something is definitely changing and weather has been unusual. Get away from your Televisions and step outside for awhile. I'm not saying it's Global Warming, but something is changing.

January 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Clem & Jethro (by Philip)

See that thar wether up'n thar in New Yok Clem? I tolded you that thar anin't no sucha thang as global warming. It would be warmer up'n thar if'n global warmaing was a really goin' on. "Shut the hellp up Jethro you ignorant hick. Global warming causes weather extremes, not just warmer weather. Yer about as dumb as they get Jethro. You've never even looked into it for yourself. You heard 'global warming' and your pea brain couldn't get past the warming part." Gosh golly Clem. Ya don't hafta yell at me just a cuz I'm ignernt and can't read. I seed it on tv and that's whut thay said. "Jethro, that's it. No more tv for you 'till you grow a brain."

January 27, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. raven

I was born and raised in alaska and i was noticing even the sky is a different color from when i was a lil girl .usta be a dark blue but now its lighter .i know it sounds crazy but its true .any ideas,anyone ?

January 27, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

@raven...since the industrial revolution began over 100 yrs. ago, scientist's from around the world have been closely monitoring the rate at which water evaporates. They all use a standard measure of water, and time how long it takes to evaporate. Water takes much longer to evaporate now. How can this be? Average temperatures are going up. One wouuld think water would be evaporating faster, not slower. answer: our pollution makes shade. Water in the shade evaporates slower than water in direct sunlight. Mankind's "contribution" to global warming is nothing compared to the heat given off by forrests, geo-thermal activity, volcanic activity...even insect activity. Our contribution is pollution, and this makes what would have been a natural and gentle change into one with violent extremes. The pollution keeping water from evaporating at a natural rate makes our skies appear to be lighter, since there is less blue water in the sky. Nothing can stop the earth from getting warmer. It is a natural event.

January 27, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kim

It is odd weather and some of the worst weather i ever heard of. You dont want to sound dramatic but it is all very odd. Well the heating bills are going to be hell.

January 27, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raven

Thank you Philip. Finally an answer a layperson can understand! I even asked one of the professors at UAA about the color change and if it was due to pollution and after he got done mocking me I gotembarrassed,lost interest and have never asked anyone again.

January 27, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

Raven, I'm sorry about that Professor...so many people use mockery to cover up the fact that they don't know the answer to a question. If you ever need an answer to just about anything...just ask Phillip. He's my go-to-guy for answers, and if he doesn't know it, he'll find out!

Just as I've learned something today from Phillip...but then, I usually do! (Unless I'm having a bad hair day, phil, tee hee!) 😉

January 27, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. raven

Yeah Ive been readin these for a couple weeks now and ive got my favorites. Cesar and ruffnut always crack me up and you seem to always have a level head ,philip is like the savant,and that jim brieske guy scares the you know what outta me.never wanna be on the wrong sidea onea his tirades!

January 27, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

banasy!!!!!!!!! I have been missing you and asking everyone if they had seen you...(deep breath) Your back! This place just isn't the same without you and a selct few others. Good to see you aggain my friend. (i would ask where ya been but nunna my biz. i imagined you had fallen asleep in a reading room and got accidently locked in) 🙂 smiling @ banasy

January 28, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Hi Raven. Very pleased to make your aquaintance, and thank you for your kindly remarks. I see you've met banasy! I can already see you two will take a liking to each other. And I'm impressed that you figured out many of the people here. Very insightful. (even though Jim Brieske is a no-brainer. he he. (no offense Jim., see you in hell. lmao)

January 28, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

@Raven...and if you'd like to look more into this water evaporation thingy, the official term used is 'pan-evap rate'. keywords for google

January 28, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |