Fired Navy commander: My bosses knew about raunchy videos
Owen Honors says senior leadership gave "tacit approval" of controversial on-board videos.
January 31st, 2011

Fired Navy commander: My bosses knew about raunchy videos

The Navy commander fired for making racy videos and broadcasting them on a ship says that the movies had the "tacit approval" of senior Navy leadership, the Navy Times reports.

Owen Honors' statement to investigators, obtained by the Navy Times, marks the first time his side of the story has been made public.

Honors made headlines for days in early January when the videos were published on the Virginian-Pilot newspaper site. The films included a simulated rectal exam, anti-gay slurs and sailors pretending to shower with each other aboard ship. In early January, Honors was removed from his post commanding the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise.

An official 15-page statement that Honors gave to Navy investigators states that two commanding officers, two strike group admirals "and myriad other senior military and civilian distinguished visitors" were aware of the videos, according to the Navy Times.

Honors made the videos in 2006 and 2007 when he was executive officer of the Enterprise, and they were discussed during meetings with the ship's commanding officer and other leadership, the Navy Times reports. During these conversations, Honors received “encouraging feedback” about the content of the movies and was never told to stop making them, according to the report.

Honors' superiors did not respond to Navy Times' requests for comment.

Post by:
Filed under: Military • U.S. Navy
  1. Ariel

So you were stupid to believe they wouldn't throw you to the dogs.

January 31, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Romulan

I wonder what Spock would do when he saw this video or one like it on the Enterprise.

January 31, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • USNavySquid

"Fascinating."

January 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Vo Reason

What happens if the Taliban ask? Not much coming out over there.

January 31, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Brian

Why can't these Admiral be MEN and state for the record. I did not take corrective or punitive action against Captain Honors and I am just as guilty. Good on you Captain Honors take the whole Borgata down! Wow! I wonder how many of these type of Officer go up on the Hill and tell fairy tales to our Congressional Leaders.

January 31, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Brian, I'd say none of them make it up the hill, but I'd be lying.
      That said, I DO hope that the Captain brings forth witnesses to state, for the record, that the senior staff and Admirals knew about the videos and did nothing.
      That way, the house can be completely cleaned.

January 31, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff

He could say the president knew about the videos, it doesn't matter. At the end of the day, he's the one in them, he's the one who made them, he's the one who made the slurs. Take responsibility! And, I agree with others on here who say the man must not be too bright. To believe that 1) these videos would never leak out; and 2) people would not find his skits offensive, degrading, and abusive is like believing there are not Russian submarines out there, and if there were, they would never fire on us. So, maybe this guy isn't the best person to command the flag ship of the US navy.

January 31, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jim

I spent 26 years as an officer in the USAF and if I were stupid enough to make videos like these, I would expect to be fired. There's no way to justify these or complain about political correctness. It was extremely poor leadership.

January 31, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wolfhound

I was in the Navy 40 years ago and I can tell you nothing has changed...senior officers are never to blame for anything. Period.

January 31, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. HH

Time for the other shoe to drop on the commanders who knew about it, encouraged it.........and did nothing.....

January 31, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

"HH"... Would that be for "High Horse"... Or maybe "Hypocritical Hack"

January 31, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JR

Of course they knew ,or at least the captain of the ship had too, but that doesn't exonerate this fool from making and showing them in the first place.

January 31, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. David

As an officer who has seen the videos (portions are available on you-tube) I would certainly say they are inappropriate. I would highly discourage any officer in my command from making something like I saw on you-tube.
    Now, as for senior officers knowing and approving. I certainly and completely believe he is correct. These were made for on board distribution and having been made under another officers watch that officer is certainly the one ultimately responsible. I am sure Honors had their approval or it would have been stopped the first time.
    There is something about a senior officer commander/XO making this sort of thing and one made by troops/sailors. I think he did cross the line, but it was his commander who bore the responsibility for corrective action.

January 31, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • tct

He clearly had to be drummed out for conduct unbecoming an officer among other offenses, hopefully this time they'll actually enforce the code against those who condoned his misconduct.

January 31, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ja

Honors was commander, and should be punished, but due to his makeup he will strive despite, leadership is what he was paid for, makes you wonder

January 31, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • TAP

obviously you have no clue do you...must be one to just write to see your words. It is so obvious that you ahve never servered abord a ship and have been at sea for months at a time....wake up and get a real life will you!

January 31, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff

Really... he is going to point the blame for his making of a video on the Executive Officers? This guy is a classic closed minded knuckle dragger. I remember his type when I served, always against anything that strayed from "Tradition". Funny that word only gets used when the knuckle draggers want to stop progressive ideas. Our fighting men and women need to progress in tactics and ways of thinking just as our weapons platforms has progressed due to technology. It is time for the dinosaurs to retire.

January 31, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TAP

I am so disappointed in our military command that they would remove such a great leader and motivator of men. So the videos did not appeal to all....what movie does....I would bet my bottom dollar that everyone aboard was enlightened so to speak by the videos and it only enhanced moral aboard ship. HIs naval career is over for all of you who have no idea. This is how we show our appreciation to the men and women who serve with honor. I stand and applaud Honnors!!!!!!

January 31, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NavyVetandGay

As a gay man, a veteran and one that has watched the videos... big freakin' deal! Captain Honors is being screwed by someone with higher aspirations. I'm guessing that whomever leaked the stuff was laughing their backside off when they first saw the videos. It wasn't until they got their nose out of joint about someone that they went on their own personal crusade.

Seriously, if you have never served in the military, then you really have no valid basis for an opinion. Should the videos been made, probably not. But, when you serve with men and women that you depend on and that depend on you for safety and your life, you become a family. Who hasn't made off-color jokes, told non-PC stories, etc. around their family and friends.

Captain Honors is an honorable man and I would be proud to serve under his command.

January 31, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ross

Good – just remember to bend over when you salute!

January 31, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • CitizenSoldier

@Ross what kind of person would sink that low to make fun of a Veteran who was willing to put his life on the line for idiots like you just because you dont agree with his lifestyle choice shouldnt mean you dont give him the proper respect he deserves to the navy vet i appologize that morons like this judge for what they precieve as a wrong instead of what the rest of the world would see as a right in your service to this country as a brother in arms I say HOOAH

January 31, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mark in las vegas

Smart move Honors! Take those folks down with you that approved your movies. Of course you know they'll all deny knowing what went on. As a matter of fact they might ask a question like, "Who is this guy Honors? I never heard of him."

January 31, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |