What a judge's ruling means for Obama's health care law
February 1st, 2011

What a judge's ruling means for Obama's health care law

A federal judge in Florida has tossed out the sweeping health care reform law championed by President Barack Obama, setting up what is likely to be a contentious Supreme Court challenge over the legislation in coming months. Monday's sweeping ruling came in the most closely watched of the two dozen separate challenges to the law. Florida, along with 25 other states, had filed a lawsuit last spring, seeking to dismiss a law critics had labeled "Obamacare."

Unlike the judge who ruled the individual mandate unconstitutional last month, the federal judge in Florida, U.S. District Judge Robert Vinson, ruled that the unconstitutionality voided the entire act.

So what does this mean for your health care coverage today?

Tuesday on "American Morning," CNN senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin explained how the law stands today. He described what parts of the law the judge ruled unconstitutional, why it may be the most far-reaching ruling yet, and what happens next.

Filed under: TV-American Morning
  1. David Wise

@Sherri, it might not be down and out, but for me as a Florida Resident it currently has backed out of my arena, I received a letter today informing me that I had been dropped. I immediately had to call my doctor and cancel my surgery because I can in no way afford it on my own. This also means that if I want to continue getting the pain killers I need to walk I will have to pay full price for them, which I also cannot do. Worst of all even if I could pay for them I can no longer afford to go for a doctors visit to get my prescription refilled.
    This means when I run out I pretty much will be incapable of walking any kind of significant distance, which also means getting a job is going to be EVEN HARDER than it already is for me. So, pretty much my life is going to be at a standstill until the ruling is overturned or a new law is put into effect.

Trust me I am not giving up, but for the moment I have to step down and wait till I have the tools and power to fight back.

February 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JT

I just want to meet all these people who feel that they're forced to buy healthcare and ask them why they think it's okay to not purchase it. Why is it okay for them to get FREE treatment in the ER (okay, I know they'll receive a bill, but they aren't going to jail if they refuse to pay it) but it's "redistribution of wealth" if there's a fine for not having it?

Seriously, this has been the most openly partisan debate of my lifetime. More so than abortion rights or gay marriage. And it's completely ridiculous that it's come that far since it affects every single American, whereas those other issues only affect certain demographics.

February 1, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLinois

On a lighter note,by the way,some of you "Guys" might like the New Health Care a LOT better,if you checked with your pharmacy,about WHICH New drugs some of the insurance plans are covering ,starting with this years renewal.The new Law makes them treat nearly all drugs the same now,except for REALLY high cost ones,like some cancer drugs.But,I think you will find some Meds covered that never have been before,which is a Good thing! Check it out!

February 1, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLinois

@David Wise> I am SO SORRY,that this is happening to you! I read what you said several times,and understand it,but wish you would explain a little more~I did not know that could happen,and just maybe it cant legally~sure does NOT SOUND right! However,with that new Govenor you have down there,i wouldnt be surprised at much of ANYTHING he may do!

February 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLinois

@JT~You&me both~want to meet all those folks who dont"want"health ins! And you are right about the freeloaders too! If you are too poor,the new Law will give you the $ to buy Ins,so no excuse.Its the ones who dont want it cuz they want us to pay their Hosp.bills,[the freeloaders]that gripe me! Look at poor David Wise~he WANTS to buy ins but they CANCEL HIM! Once the law is fully in,they WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO THAT FOR SURE!~As for the Rethugs,they are just using ANY RED HERRING,they can think of,cuz.they NEVER INTENDED to do anything for us"little people"! My Mom calls it"Busy Work"~to make you THINK they are doing something! As for Abortion and Gay Marriage~THOSE are none of their business,to start with! Thought Repubs/Teaprs wanted Govt OUT of their lives~RIght! Then they tell you what to do about the MOST personal issues? Will folks WAKE UP to realize these people are,for the most part,fakes!Good Lord!

February 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLinois

@David Wise>I think you should sit down and write a letter,then copy it and send it to every congress person you have ,AND MOST IMPORTANT,send it to Pres.Obama,at the Whitehouse.You also might want to call the Presidents Comment line and tell them you sent the letter and how bad you need help with this! The #for Comment Line is 202~456~1111 and for the WH itself the #is 202~456~1414.Ask who can help you? I really do wonder if these people you are dealing with,might be breaking the law?

February 1, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLinois

Also@DavidW.>I dont know about your states Medicaid program,but maybe there is a chance you qualify for it ,if you have little or no work. And,as a last resort,you could apply for Soc.Sec.Disability~it wouldnt let you get Medicare for 2yrs,but you wd have a check. It is NOT EASY to get on,but they are starting to look at folks who might just need to be on it for awhile now,and then return to work when able. If you are under 50,they fight you,but they are pretty fair MOST of the time,and I did just help a fellow here,to get his done.He is in bad shape~worked till he got sick,only 49 and a single father,so he sure needed help~and I got our Congressman busy on it,which helped~BUT~that was before the Nov.election and THAT Congressman was A Dem~new 1 is Repub! 1st time in 30 yrs we`ve had Repub here,and I told his office he better start thinking diff.on.the HCBill,or he wont get in again!

February 1, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. polishmillrite

How is bein required tobuy health insurance any different than being required to buy car insurance. I don't see any lawsuits against that.

February 1, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. polishmillrite

oops! left off the g in being and forgot to put a space between to and buy

February 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. fightin joe

i want my free stuff! Lol land of the free home of beggers pathetic!

February 1, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Patty

Lets help Obama in keeping our health care by voicing out loud how we feel!!
    Vote out the republicans who dont want to ivest in our future...Obama Rocks!!

February 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. DavidinNY

It's astounding how people will vote against their own best interests. I lost my wife of less than 3 months to a sudden stroke and was then hit with a Neurosurgical ICU bill of over $50,000 for 2 days care. Between the war in Iraq and that, I turned from being a serious conservative to being the most liberal person you'd ever know. I like to think my late wife would be proud. A society is judged by how it treats the least of its people. From what I can see, the right wing wants to make sure we are judged very poorly. I'm jewish, but didn't jesus say "...any of these things, no matter how small, you did for me?"

February 2, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. DavidinNY

By the way, Tea Party. Mouthpieces, my wife died because of a death panel. It was run by Aetna insurance, who cancelled coverage once the hospital called for approval of a potentially life saving surgery. Their reason: my wife had once been seen by a doctor for migraines. There's your death panel, right wing toadies. The alaskan flounder was right, there ARE death panels. She just lied about who was running them

February 2, 2011 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. DavidinNY

Medicare for ALL Americans. Let's stop being the laughingstock of the industrialized world. Wait, since bush moved all the manufacturing jobs to China, can we even be called industrialized anymore? No more money to the greedy murdering health insurance companies.

February 2, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. Harry Pelosi

It,s a great start. Kill the bill.

February 2, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |