Chicago motorists urged to stay off roads
February 2nd, 2011

Chicago motorists urged to stay off roads

The National Weather Service in Chicago is asking residents not to travel unless "absolutely necessary" because a winter storm pushing through the upper Midwest has created a "potentially life-threatening situation."

"Reports from media and local law enforcement officially indicate that hundreds, if not thousands of vehicles have gone off the roads," the weather service said early Wednesday.

Illinois State Police carried out a rescue operation in Kankakee County after 20 cars were stranded in the snowstorm, where snow drifts were measured around 3 feet, the agency said.

The rescued motorists were taken to temporary warming centers in Manteno or Peotone, said state police Sgt. Angie Kinstner.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S. • Winter weather
  1. Heikki Lunta

You guys should consider yourselves lucky, its Feb already and up here we have only gotten 130" of snow. What i wouldn't give for another 2-3' in the next few days.... the trails are beginning to get bumpy fresh snow would really flatten them back out.

February 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

@Heikki...I prefer to flatten my own bumps, thank you. Moguls are where it's at, don't ya know?

February 2, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TRUCK DRIVER

People in the USA is stupid. Theyre going to get out and drive anyway. Its a proven fact!

February 3, 2011 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

@Truck Driver, you drive every day. So what does that make you?

February 3, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

Rubber ducky. convoy good buddy. @Truck driver, u can call me Rubber Ducky.

February 3, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mighty Might

now I realize there are a ton of exceptions to what I am about to say. and I do not mean to be insensitive. but I will bet you dollars to donuts that a huge percentage of the folks who got stuck on LSD were yuppies or similar who were going home from the regular jobs like it was a regular day. and then low and behold it started snowing! in february! with no warning whatsoever! come on people. are your jobs and whole foods runs really that important?!?!
    there. I feel better now. and to show you that I am not completely without a sense of humor I will post a link to a billboard that made me laugh. if only because the car in question (a 'mini countryman') can now basically drive right down onto the road. http://bssp.com/2011/news/mini-countryman-goes-well-over-ice/

February 3, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jessica

God Bless EVERYONE!

Does anyone read the bible? Well in every part of the US is getting hit with something, why? What would Jesus do? Well if your stuck in the snow storm open the bible and start reading the word of the Lord. This is all in the bible and how His word will be filled! Now if you don't believe in Him then why is it the worl getting hit with something? South Dakota had 20 feet of snow and in Mass we had about 3feet! Well thats got me thinking! Yes I am a Christian a servant of Christ and I do believe this is all happening for a reason. Nothing in this world happens just because but there's a reason to all this World Crisis. It started with earthquakes, floods, thunder and snow but in every part of the world is hitting with something, why? Maybe the Lord above is trying to get everyone's attention that we need to stop and think of who created this world and how much does God have control over, no its not HIs fault but look around and start reading the prophecy in the bible starting in Matthews the begginning to the end of the New Testaments of King James Version 1960. But just want to inform you about this. May you all be protected through the hands of the Lord. GOD BLESS!

February 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Magnus

Why does not U.S. citizens know about winter tires...? Do a web serach, and you'll see that spiked tires is the way to go..!

February 3, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SwissDutchie

Well, after the statement from Jessica, i pray to god that it doesn't snow for a long time so we won't see any preaches like this on this site.....
    Cheers

February 3, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mighty Might

2010 / 2011 : the first years on record where anything bad has happened, ever. So yeah, clearly this is the apocalypse.

February 3, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |