Chicago motorists urged to stay off roads
February 2nd, 2011

Chicago motorists urged to stay off roads

The National Weather Service in Chicago is asking residents not to travel unless "absolutely necessary" because a winter storm pushing through the upper Midwest has created a "potentially life-threatening situation."

"Reports from media and local law enforcement officially indicate that hundreds, if not thousands of vehicles have gone off the roads," the weather service said early Wednesday.

Illinois State Police carried out a rescue operation in Kankakee County after 20 cars were stranded in the snowstorm, where snow drifts were measured around 3 feet, the agency said.

The rescued motorists were taken to temporary warming centers in Manteno or Peotone, said state police Sgt. Angie Kinstner.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S. • Winter weather
  1. Roadtrip

I have an URGE to drive... .

February 2, 2011 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

@Roadtrip, I have an urge to bite your foot toe...

February 2, 2011 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. RUFFNUTT

I'M hungry... time to drive to mc donalds..

February 2, 2011 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. jsmith

This is the worst snow storm I've seen. I couldnt move my car if i wanted.

February 2, 2011 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
    • dictator

thats because you don't know how to drive.

February 2, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

I'm glad to hear that, RuffNutt. I'm sorry to hear that John. So I guess you need a snow shovel.

February 2, 2011 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. tomcat

@ Mr. Thompson.....Let me add to your post. The Chicago FD helped stranded motorist by using snowmobiles to rescue trapped or injured people. Meanwhile fire trucks and EMS units were getting stuck in the "white out" conditions. Warming Units (buses) were sent to numerous areas to assist stranded motorists. Fire Apparatus was also used to keep motorist warm, leaving fire fighters in the elements at command centers. Fire units also got stuck to hydrants due to freeezing conditions. Some ladder trucks needed the assistance of steam units to thaw their frozen equipment. Lake Shore Dr. was hit very hard with mutiple rescue situations. The CFD and EMS should be applaued for their commitment to the health and safety of the city. Chicago Police,plows,sanders and transit also were interagal during this time. The unsung heroes of this ordeal were the dispatchers, They had to coordinate mulitiple agencys during this major snow event.

February 2, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Billy Bob

Tomcat are you whacked? They dropped they ball big time on responding to folks on Lake Shore Drive. Hours w/o an official sighted and right in the heart of the city. basically ground zero! where were all the CFD's snowmobiles? they may have not been able to get them off any sooner but to not even have any contact? seriously? how about a litle tough love for your boys instead of a head in the sand [snow]?

February 2, 2011 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. mmi16

Midwest pay back for all the snow the East has gotten this Winter so far.

February 2, 2011 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. ccf22p

3 foot snow drifts???? Try 4-5 feet on major roadways. I passed 12 stranded vehicles on my way to work and that was a 2 mile trip. I was on a 4 lane road and it was cut down to one lane......both northbound and southbound had to share a lane and take turns avoiding each other. That area had at least 2-5 inches of snow....anyone driving to far from that one lane was met with 2-5 feet of snow because of the wind. Now add the 60mph windgusts and it was midnight.....yea.....better to stay home if you can.

February 2, 2011 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. bambam

Wow. 5 feet of snow that's over the little short mobsters heads (italians) lol

February 2, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  10. Is this a NEWSFLASH?!

Hello! It's only blizzard conditions. I know I need to stay home.

February 2, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

@bam bam. Hi there! Haven't seen you in a while. How are things in Alabama? Laying any brick?

February 2, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

I hope this storm isn't giving banasy a headache. It's frigid here in Colorado as well. Wind chills yesterday were well below zero. It's nice out this morning though. I'm glad to not be living in a big city like Chicago during this sort of weather extremes. Not dissing Chicagoans, just feeling for their plight.

February 2, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. nowfoods

and my company is still wondering were its employees are, and if they should consider opening at noon

February 2, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

@Billy Bob...I think this storm has overwhelmed nearly everyone there, not just emergency services..

February 2, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar

This is the mother of all winter storms.

February 2, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |